Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
58 minutes ago, 5GoldGlovesOF,75 said:

A career minor league manager who was just given a 3-year contract because he is not Alex Cora?

Put it this way, it would be shocking -- no matter how pointed the questions get -- if he doesn't say "... ultimately, these were my decisions."

Chad is just a grateful puppet.

Posted
8 hours ago, notin said:

No.  
 

Teams are extending younger players and this is the impact…

So, they will have to trade to find offense?   That doesn’t sound promising.

Verified Member
Posted
1 hour ago, NHNative said:

So, you are opining that Chad will just tow the party line?

of course, none of them are going to say anything...especially tracy, he is just happy to have a job in the show....all he knows how to say is "yes sir"...I am sure he doesn't have any say on his coaches either

Posted
11 minutes ago, JimEd said:

don't know if you've seen this, but this guy nails it.


https://www.redsoxdigest.com/p/the-six-year-failure-of-the-red-sox

Good read it was, and as I posted the other day in JH first 7 years of ownership the Red Sox averaged 90 wins a year, and 2 WS among other things. The last 8 years the Red Sox have averaged 76 wins, and are now popping champagne corks after backing into the postseason in a very weak league. LOW bar all the way around.

Posted
9 hours ago, notin said:

No.  
 

Teams are extending younger players and this is the impact…

And when we extend our young players the GM is roasted.

Posted

And reiterates why some posters thought the Sox should've just paid the price to hang on to starting pitchers that did work out in Boston: Eovaldi and Wacha (see AL Innings Pitched 2023-26). 

Then maybe they don't have to trade their maybe catcher of the future for Crochet, and the next year trade 2 maybe Crochets for their next maybe catcher of the future.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Yeah, he repeats himself a bit but it's a well reasoned take.  

I do think the roster going into 2027 looks better than any roster since the 2018 remnant rosters that were beset with injuries and unreplaced star departures.

He did mention the core of young pitchers as a solid aspect to build around, and to me, the years of control for them and several everyday core players bodes well for the future, but I'm with many others who are fed up with always looking forward. I'm guilty of feeding that narrative, myself.

In Red Sox history, since the days when free agency became a thing, when have we seen this type of roster construction? (The complaint that it lacks starpower on offense is legit.)

Player, age, control years

Pitchers:

Crochet 5 yrs

Tolle 5 yrs

Suarez 5 yrs

Bennett 5 yrs

Bello 4 yrs

Miller 4 yrs

Whitlock & Crawford, 2 yrs

Chapman, Houck & Oviedo 1 yr

Others:

5 yrs: Paez, Rivera, Samaniego, Gamboa, Olds, Burgos

4 yrs: Moran (out of options)

3 yrs: Slaten, Weissert, Kelly, S Martinez

1 yr: T Guerrero

______________________________________

Everyday Players

Anthony 8 yrs

Rafaela 5 yrs

Durbin 5 yrs

Abreu 3 yrs

Mead 3 yrs

Contreras, Duran 2 yrs

Rutschman, Story & Yoshida 1 yr

Others:

8 yrs: Campbell

5 yrs: Sogard, Seigler, Gasper, Cheng

4 yrs: Jones (no options,) Eaton

3 yrs: Monasterio

2 yrs: White (no options,) Romy, Wong, Casas

I realize this may be more about quantity than quality, but the players in bold are pretty good, and some others have hopes. The sheer amount of good players with 3 or more years of control looks like the most since the 70's.

Granted, this is not enough, but it is a solid foundation.

Posted
25 minutes ago, 5GoldGlovesOF,75 said:

And reiterates why some posters thought the Sox should've just paid the price to hang on to starting pitchers that did work out in Boston: Eovaldi and Wacha (see AL Innings Pitched 2023-26). 

Then maybe they don't have to trade their maybe catcher of the future for Crochet, and the next year trade 2 maybe Crochets for their next maybe catcher of the future.

Good points.

I'm not convinced on Teel, but if he is the real deal, we wouldn't have needed the AR trade either.

Eovaldi would have been good to keep around, but I think I'd still do the Crochet trade. Nate has started 22+ games every year with TX, along with 130+ IP. He has missed upwards of 39 starts in 4 years, so he's not been a horse, but I'll take his 4 year results over Buehler+ Giolito+ Kluber+  Paxton or Richards.

Wacha was not an easy call due to his injury and lack of production before his year with the Sox. (69 GS in previous 4 seasons at a 4.67 ERA.) He's been a horse since he left (24+ GS every season at 3.44 ERA. (116 GS/4 yrs)

Posted
18 hours ago, jad said:

Yes I get that.  But  note that I am EQUALLY attached to players like Benintendi, JBJ, Bernadino.   I could add players like Vasquez too.  They don't have to be great players for me to be attached to them.  They just have to be players  I've had a chance to get to know.   I don't give a crap about players like Bregman who blow through for a year (even though I didn't dislike him when he was here) or the revolving door of pitchers I've never heard of.  I just want to recognize "my" team as the one I rooted for the year before.

I can understand that for sure. But it can't come at the expense of improving. And there are several players I don't think are good enough and shouldn't be here next year. No amount of getting to know them will change that. But, I do get the point that it would be nice to know and like the team long term. Hopefully we can build that. I remain skeptical.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Hitch said:

I can understand that for sure. But it can't come at the expense of improving. And there are several players I don't think are good enough and shouldn't be here next year. No amount of getting to know them will change that. But, I do get the point that it would be nice to know and like the team long term. Hopefully we can build that. I remain skeptical.

This doesn't look like a big step in the right direction?

Anthony 8 yrs

Crochet 5 yrs

Tolle 5 yrs

Rafaela 5 yrs

Durbin 5 yrs

Suarez 5 yrs

Bennett 5 yrs

Bello 4 yrs

Miller 4 yrs

Abreu 3 yrs

Mead 3 yrs

9 good players at 4+ years

11 good at 3+

This is a major shift from even Theo & DD's eras. Some of these players listed have already been on this team for 2-4 years.

Posted

I agree with the core rational. Keep the pitching staff "keep Tolle" and our proven streakers and spend dollars on champion level bats.

Posted

I can't do these long lists like you guys, but my absolute don't trade, sell or disappear core:

Gray, Tolle, Crochet

Adley, Gasper

Durbin, Abreu, Raphaela, Anthony, Sogaard, White, Mead and Contreras

Posted
On 10/2/2026 at 5:56 AM, mvp 78 said:

I don't think anyone is untradeable. Tolle would be the hardest to give up though. 

i just hate the fact we waited so long to get good young SP prospects but yet were so quick to trade 3 of our top 4.

Posted
20 minutes ago, NHNative said:

I can't do these long lists like you guys, but my absolute don't trade, sell or disappear core:

Gray, Tolle, Crochet

Adley, Gasper

Durbin, Abreu, Raphaela, Anthony, Sogaard, White, Mead and Contreras

Gray is a FA-likely gone already.  Sogard and White are untraceable to you ???

Posted
1 hour ago, NHNative said:

I agree with the core rational. Keep the pitching staff "keep Tolle" and our proven streakers and spend dollars on champion level bats.

If we had of extended Gray mid-season our rotation next year would be: Crochet-Gray-Tolle -Suarez-Bennett.  How awesome would that be?

Posted
21 minutes ago, Randy Red Sox said:

Gray is a FA-likely gone already.  Sogard and White are untraceable to you ???

Sogard is a heart of the team and White and his glove and legs and a decent bat is a great utility player---all around, much like Sogard.

IMO

Posted
1 hour ago, Randy Red Sox said:

If we had of extended Gray mid-season our rotation next year would be: Crochet-Gray-Tolle -Suarez-Bennett.  How awesome would that be?

Now, it's Crochet, Tolle, Suarez, Bennett & Bello (Depth: Houck, Crawford, Oviedo & Paez)

That's still pretty good and all are young and have 4+ yrs of control. When have we ever had that?

We have issues, for sure, but this is one area we look pretty good for 2027 and well beyond.

Sure, I wish we still had Early, Harrison, Drohan, Dobbins, Priester, Eyanson and others, but we kept some real good ones- plus many of these pitchers traded were also acquired by Brez.

Posted
8 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

Now, it's Crochet, Tolle, Suarez, Bennett & Bello (Depth: Houck, Crawford, Oviedo & Paez)

That's still pretty good and all are young and have 4+ yrs of control. When have we ever had that?

We have issues, for sure, but this is one area we look pretty good for 2027 and well beyond.

Sure, I wish we still had Early, Harrison, Drohan, Dobbins, Priester, Eyanson and others, but we kept some real good ones- plus many of these pitchers traded were also acquired by Brez.

Yup--agreed. Now spend some money on offense.

Abduct a Ben Rice.

LOL

Verified Member
Posted
4 hours ago, moonslav59 said:

This doesn't look like a big step in the right direction?

Anthony 8 yrs

Crochet 5 yrs

Tolle 5 yrs

Rafaela 5 yrs

Durbin 5 yrs

Suarez 5 yrs

Bennett 5 yrs

Bello 4 yrs

Miller 4 yrs

Abreu 3 yrs

Mead 3 yrs

9 good players at 4+ years

11 good at 3+

This is a major shift from even Theo & DD's eras. Some of these players listed have already been on this team for 2-4 years.

Pretty sure we have Bennett for 6 years. He was called up on May 1st. He missed first 36 days, accumulating 149 days of service time. He needs 172 days.

Verified Member
Posted

We have $53M to spend.

Gray and Sandoval gone.

Whitlock is technically FA. Club option are $8.25M for 2027 and $10.5M for 2028, Doesn't it seem high?

CC covered by arbitration players Adley and Wong.

1B covered by Contreras

2B covered by Mead/Arias

SS covered by Trevor/Arias

3B covered by Durbin

LF covered by Anthony

CF covered by Rafaela

RF covered by Abreu

DH covered by Yoshida

SP Crochet, Suarez, Tolle, Bennett, Bello

I know its slim pickings but shouldn't we be able to trade for a 30 HR guy for $25-30M?

At some point we'll have to sign a Schwarber ($150M/5yrs) or Alfonso ($155M/5yrs) type. 

And perhaps they'll have to bite the bullet like upcoming season. We have $40M in expiring contracts in Yoshida/Story. I would include that in this year's budget/spending knowing it'll be gone in 2028.

So spend $93M. That should get us a bat or two.

 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick said:

Pretty sure we have Bennett for 6 years. He was called up on May 1st. He missed first 36 days, accumulating 149 days of service time. He needs 172 days.

Nice catch.

Posted
7 hours ago, moonslav59 said:

Now, it's Crochet, Tolle, Suarez, Bennett & Bello (Depth: Houck, Crawford, Oviedo & Paez)

That's still pretty good and all are young and have 4+ yrs of control. When have we ever had that?

We have issues, for sure, but this is one area we look pretty good for 2027 and well beyond.

Sure, I wish we still had Early, Harrison, Drohan, Dobbins, Priester, Eyanson and others, but we kept some real good ones- plus many of these pitchers traded were also acquired by Brez.

nothing really stands out in the P prospect line though.  JH saves $$ when Gray leaves but we all know he'll spend it right?

Posted
6 hours ago, Nick said:

We have $53M to spend.

Gray and Sandoval gone.

Whitlock is technically FA. Club option are $8.25M for 2027 and $10.5M for 2028, Doesn't it seem high?

CC covered by arbitration players Adley and Wong.

1B covered by Contreras

2B covered by Mead/Arias

SS covered by Trevor/Arias

3B covered by Durbin

LF covered by Anthony

CF covered by Rafaela

RF covered by Abreu

DH covered by Yoshida

SP Crochet, Suarez, Tolle, Bennett, Bello

I know its slim pickings but shouldn't we be able to trade for a 30 HR guy for $25-30M?

At some point we'll have to sign a Schwarber ($150M/5yrs) or Alfonso ($155M/5yrs) type. 

And perhaps they'll have to bite the bullet like upcoming season. We have $40M in expiring contracts in Yoshida/Story. I would include that in this year's budget/spending knowing it'll be gone in 2028.

So spend $93M. That should get us a bat or two.

 

name a FA bat that we should sign.  We already gave up a lot of our assets in {bad} trades this season IMO.

Posted
8 hours ago, NHNative said:

Sogard is a heart of the team and White and his glove and legs and a decent bat is a great utility player---all around, much like Sogard.

IMO

neither of them should classify as anything close to untouchable.

Posted
10 hours ago, NHNative said:

I agree with the core rational. Keep the pitching staff "keep Tolle" and our proven streakers and spend dollars on champion level bats.

name the bats you think we should sign this offseason.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...