Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Community Moderator
Posted
8 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

I know you don't trust Mead. I suppose he could be the next Grissom, but I'm thinking he's be one of our top 3-4 batters next season and maybe 1 or 2.

I've just heard that his glove is really bad and that he should be a DH. I haven't seen enough of him in the field TBH.

Posted
8 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

I get it. I'm always for more pitching, especially high quality pitching.

I'm also for pitchers who pitch. I wasn't sure Sale could ever reach high quality again, either. I didn't see paying $27M for a big question mark as being a sure keeper.

We needed a 2B real bad. My point has been there was some logic to the trade- not that it was riskless or even a good trade at the time. Initially, I did not like the deal, so really, I get your points and don't disagree.

There was a chance Sale never pitcher 100 IP in a season again and or never went under a 4.00 ERA again.

There was a chance Grissom would solve the 2B issue- kinda like a chance Jeter Down would be our SS, except Grissom had some MLB production under his belt already.

The deal ended up being the worst one in half a century. Maybe Bagwell beats it out.

 

I think the Betts trade was one of the worst of the last century, but it wasn't because of  the trade return we got, it was because of the very decision to trade him.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...