Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
Just now, Bellhorn04 said:

Yep.  As did Tiant, Damon and some others, but I have nothing against them.

Damon nixed a trade from DET to BOS later on in his career. He stinks. 

Posted
20 hours ago, mvp 78 said:

Somebody was out there calling him Yazbumski for sure! 

Like Fred.

Heck, Fred even wanted Tom Brady jettisoned...this was before titles 4, 5 and 6. 

 

Posted
1 minute ago, mvp 78 said:

Damon nixed a trade from DET to BOS later on in his career. He stinks. 

I'll never say anything bad about him.  The dude locked up ALCS Game 7 for us.  That's immortal. 

Posted
57 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

I'll never say anything bad about him.  The dude locked up ALCS Game 7 for us.  That's immortal. 

I agree. Damon still had some good years left after the Red Sox get away. That was on them.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Old Red said:

I agree. Damon still had some good years left after the Red Sox get away. That was on them.

On the other hand Ellsbury replaced him and helped us win in 2007 and 2013.  To me there was no harm done to anyone.

But the real point for me is that anybody who helped us win a ring, especially the 2004 ring, I find it hard to say anything bad about.

All those years we had our hearts broken, I thought if we ever did win one, that team would all be treated as heroes forever.

In 2005 when Foulke was really struggling, Bob Ryan wrote something nasty about him, and I e-mailed him to protest.

Ryan was pretty cool, I e-mailed him maybe 4 times about various things and he answered every one of them.

 

 

Posted
1 hour ago, Bellhorn04 said:

I'll never say anything bad about him.  The dude locked up ALCS Game 7 for us.  That's immortal. 

Arrested Development GIF

Posted
1 hour ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Boggs and Clemens, the most unlikable Red Sox greats.

Clemens was only a 500 pitcher his last 4 years in Boston, and then he got a lot better in Toronto at age 34, and NY. I’d say it was amazing, but it really wasn’t.🤫

Posted
1 minute ago, Bellhorn04 said:

In 2005 when Foulke was really struggling, Bob Ryan wrote something nasty about him, and I e-mailed him to protest.

Ryan was pretty cool, I e-mailed him maybe 4 times about various things and he answered every one of them.

I used to see Ryan in downtown Boston from time to time. Very tall. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Old Red said:

Clemens was only a 500 pitcher his last 4 years in Boston, and then he got a lot better in Toronto, and NY. I’d say it was amazing, but it really wasn’t.🤫

Yep, he turned to the roids and cost himself his legacy.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Yep, he turned to the roids and cost himself his legacy.

I may be misremembering, but I believe there were some other nefarious things too. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

On the other hand Ellsbury replaced him and helped us win in 2007 and 2013.  To me there was no harm done to anyone.

But the real point for me is that anybody who helped us win a ring, especially the 2004 ring, I find it hard to say anything bad about.

All those years we had our hearts broken, I thought if we ever did win one, that team would all be treated as heroes forever.

In 2005 when Foulke was really struggling, Bob Ryan wrote something nasty about him, and I e-mailed him to protest.

Ryan was pretty cool, I e-mailed him maybe 4 times about various things and he answered every one of them.

 

 

The only sportswriter I ever emailed was Mike Celizic from MSNBC.  He answered every one as well…

Posted
1 hour ago, notin said:

The only sportswriter I ever emailed was Mike Celizic from MSNBC.  He answered every one as well…

I have e-mailed a bunch of them and usually gotten replies, Shaughnessy even got back to me once, when I called Henry Johnny Lowball.  I figured he'd like that one.

Posted
3 hours ago, mvp 78 said:

I may be misremembering, but I believe there were some other nefarious things too. 

But I think it's the roids keeping him out of the HOF.  I know about the Mindy McCready story, not sure if that would impact voters or not, but I can't rule it out.  

Posted
1 minute ago, Bellhorn04 said:

But I think it's the roids keeping him out of the HOF.  I know about the Mindy McCready story, not sure if that would impact voters or not, but I can't rule it out.  

More than likely the entirety of the controversy; roids, perjury and infidelity and how it lasted too long. Though he was acquitted, the optics are damaging.

Posted
1 hour ago, Deja Doh said:

Does anyone see Casas ever suiting up for us again at 1B?  We've moved on.

I may be the only one with some hope. 

I think we can and should protect him with a slot on the 40 and an arb accdeptance.

You don't just throw away a career .800 batter.

Now, we can't keep as many IL guys as this year, and I'd like to see us part ways with 1-2 from Duran, Yoshida or Story.

Posted
7 hours ago, Bellhorn04 said:

I'll never say anything bad about him.  The dude locked up ALCS Game 7 for us.  That's immortal. 

Plus he rounded third and ran all the way to New York in game 5…

Posted
1 hour ago, Deja Doh said:

Does anyone see Casas ever suiting up for us again at 1B?  We've moved on.

Maybe Worcester, assuming he gets tendered…

Posted
10 hours ago, Old Red said:

As a player yes. As folklore goes no.

Dunno.  Did Rico ever have an unassisted triple play?

Posted
2 hours ago, notin said:

Maybe Worcester, assuming he gets tendered…

I think we have enough other bubble players to shed before we give up on Casas.

Brez loves to trade bubble players, anyway, so there may be more slots open than even I project.

I don't think we go quantity on additions when we clearly need quality, but I've felt this way for years, and only last winter seemed like the shift moved in that direction. Even then, it wasn't for top quality. Contreras, Suarez and Gray ended up playing like top quality, but most felt they were just really good players and not "top quality." 

Yes, Casas would be expected to play in AAA, if he stays on the 40.

Posted

our ol' buddy Jordan Hicks throws one pitch tonite before giving up a go-ahead home run. LOL...

Posted
16 hours ago, Bellhorn04 said:

But I think it's the roids keeping him out of the HOF.  I know about the Mindy McCready story, not sure if that would impact voters or not, but I can't rule it out.  

Off field stuff impacted Vizquel being left off ballots. I don't know. Bonds and Clemens should be in no matter what anyway. Doesn't mean I have to be a fan of Clemens though. 

Posted
13 hours ago, moonslav59 said:

I may be the only one with some hope. 

I think we can and should protect him with a slot on the 40 and an arb accdeptance.

You don't just throw away a career .800 batter.

Now, we can't keep as many IL guys as this year, and I'd like to see us part ways with 1-2 from Duran, Yoshida or Story.

It's not that they are throwing him away, it's that he physically incapable of being an MLBer anymore. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

Off field stuff impacted Vizquel being left off ballots. I don't know. Bonds and Clemens should be in no matter what anyway. Doesn't mean I have to be a fan of Clemens though. 

Speaking of the HOF, there appears to be two Evans who s/b enshrined, but are not.

Posted
39 minutes ago, SPLENDIDSPLINTER said:

Speaking of the HOF, there appears to be two Evans who s/b enshrined, but are not.

Darrell Evans is behind guys like Greg Nettles and Buddy Bell. He'll need to wait. Never received a top 10 MVP vote. Only an All Star twice in 19 seasons. 

Posted
22 hours ago, Old Red said:

I agree. Damon still had some good years left after the Red Sox get away. That was on them.

They didn't let him 'get away'.  They had no opening for him.  He couldn't play CF, and we had Manny in LF and Papi at DH.

Posted
23 hours ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Like Fred.

Heck, Fred even wanted Tom Brady jettisoned...this was before titles 4, 5 and 6. 

 

Brady annoys the crap out of me, but how could anyone badmouth Brady as a player?  He might be the best QB of all time.  A distinction that probably doesn't matter one whit to Fred.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...