Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted

He was asked about the OF logjam.

"I don't think there's a decision to be made. Our OF core is the hallmark of our success." 

Guess they aren't going to add or remove anyone there! 

🤷‍♂️

Posted
10 hours ago, Randy Red Sox said:

name a FA bat that we should sign.  We already gave up a lot of our assets in {bad} trades this season IMO.

I didn't say I was smart......just saying that we will end up in the same place year from now.

So how do win the world series?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick said:

I didn't say I was smart......just saying that we will end up in the same place year from now.

So how do win the world series?

Hire Jose Canseco as trainer? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Finishing the job is the hardest part.

Tito, Cora, and even Farrell won on their first try. I guess Tracy just wasn’t to the task playbook, or not.

Posted
10 minutes ago, NHNative said:

Bottom line what I heard is "our roster is in good shape" and we hope guys get healthy.

That's kind of how it feels. So where is the power coming from that Breslow thinks is missing? He believes they can fix the issues with the current players not hitting velo. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Finishing the job is the hardest part.

He clearly thinks they can continue to train the players and get them over the hump rather than attain new guys that already have the skillset they need. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

He clearly thinks they can continue to train the players and get them over the hump rather than attain new guys that already have the skillset they need. 

Train the players to get them over the hump?🙈

Posted
4 hours ago, drewski6 said:

Guys like Durbin? Sure hes cheap, and sure he will stay 20 bags, and sure hes great defensively.  And if you are a guy who just loves dirty jerseys and defense, you'll love this guy.  And hes fine.  BUt you just cant have too many guys like that if you want to beat the super teams. 

He might have some upside on his bat, but he will most likely never be a big plus on O.

His wRC+ was an even 100, this year, and his .710 OPS was below average among the top 270 batters in MLB (30 teams x 9 batters and 168th out of 270.) His OPS+ is 101 for his first 1100 PAs in MLB. There is room for growth, and for those who value more recent numbers he hit .798 at the 50 game mark and beyond.

3B is an area we could improve offense, but I think at his age, with his defense and upside on offense, I'd choose to upgrade LF/DH or 2B/DH or SS before I looked at 3B. I know you position on positions, but it is important to catch and throw the ball.

Trading Durbin plus more for a better 3B is fine by me.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Old Red said:

Tito, Cora, and even Farrell won on their first try. I guess Tracy just wasn’t to the task playbook, or not.

I was actually talking about the CBOs and it's just a generalization, but what I'm talking about is making the moves that give you a real shot at winning it all.  

Posted
10 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

He clearly thinks they can continue to train the players and get them over the hump rather than attain new guys that already have the skillset they need. 

Whew! what a relief! now we can high five each other again this offseason for not blowing the budget on established elite sluggers who consistently hit major league pitches out of the f***ing ballpark.

Posted
20 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

He might have some upside on his bat, but he will most likely never be a big plus on O.

His wRC+ was an even 100, this year, and his .710 OPS was below average among the top 270 batters in MLB (30 teams x 9 batters and 168th out of 270.) His OPS+ is 101 for his first 1100 PAs in MLB. There is room for growth, and for those who value more recent numbers he hit .798 at the 50 game mark and beyond.

3B is an area we could improve offense, but I think at his age, with his defense and upside on offense, I'd choose to upgrade LF/DH or 2B/DH or SS before I looked at 3B. I know you position on positions, but it is important to catch and throw the ball.

Trading Durbin plus more for a better 3B is fine by me.

If you dont have a star and you can get a star, you get a star.  You dont say, well Im going to pass on Michael Jordan because I like my SG, even though he is not a star and I have none on my team.  Move your incumbent to SF. Or PG.  Whatever.  Just keep your options open.

Positions are irrelevant to me when trying to get a star bat.  Because thats what we need.  So get an elite hitter, then you fill it in around them.  I like Durbin, but if he was our supersub to start the year, I am positive he would be starting by the end of it.  Im not closing off the 3b market because of Durbin when most 3b are 6'3 and Durbin is 5'3.  Also, I think he has ample trade value.  I like him, and I dont think hes a guy that we absolutely need to replace, but he found his way to the 9 spot in the batting order for a reason.  And hes earmarked to hit 9 next year for a reason.  Your ninth best hitter has to earn it.  Im just not marrying him.  

Now one advantage he has is that if Mead plays 2b, you are getting more xtra base hits from 2b than usual, so maybe you can just pretend Mead is at 3b and Durbin is at 2b even if they arent occupying those specific positions.

For the same reason you want 7 capable starting pitchers, I want 10 good bats.  Because it turns to 4 or 5 by the end of the year.  I am not limiting my view to any position.  I want guys who will hit extra base hits.  If I had to pick what position I would want that next guy to be, I would pick army knife.  Because then, you know you can move guys around and fit in that bat.  positional versatility > ideal positional alignment.

WE have a lot of positional versatility on this team. Durbin can play 2b or maybe he can play SS.  ID put him at SS.  And if he cant move around, then his glove is overrated.  Because versatility is equally as important as playing one position well.

Posted
15 minutes ago, 5GoldGlovesOF,75 said:

Whew! what a relief! now we can high five each other again this offseason for not blowing the budget on established elite sluggers who consistently hit major league pitches out of the f***ing ballpark.

If you root for Henry's checkbook, you'll end up happier in the end than if you root for the Sox to have a successful season. 🤩

Posted
30 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

That's kind of how it feels. So where is the power coming from that Breslow thinks is missing? He believes they can fix the issues with the current players not hitting velo. 

Maybe they are betting on what Arias might bring.

Posted
2 minutes ago, NHNative said:

Maybe they are betting on what Arias might bring.

Hard to say. He's as likely to be traded as be placed on the 40 man. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

I was actually talking about the CBOs and it's just a generalization, but what I'm talking about is making the moves that give you a real shot at winning it all.  

Oh I got that part too. The team even without Cro Man this year wasted some good starting pitching, but the Big run producing bat in the middle of the order is still missing. Alonso was out there last year, and i wouldn’t have wanted to give him 5 years either, but he was definitely needed now.

Posted
1 hour ago, NHNative said:

Maybe they are betting on what Arias might bring.

Like it or not, I think Brez might be counting on Arias more than he ever did with Mayer.

Posted
1 hour ago, mvp 78 said:

Hard to say. He's as likely to be traded as be placed on the 40 man. 

I'd say...

50% he's on the opening day 26 man roster. (He won't be on the 40 and not 26 for obvious reasons.)

40% he's in AAA as we keep 40 players we like, and wait until Story gets hurt or sucks, or Mead gets hurt- tehn add him to the 40 & 26.

10% he's traded with others for a bigger bat SS (1-3 yrs of control)

Posted
7 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

Like it or not, I think Brez might be counting on Arias more than he ever did with Mayer.

That sounds unlikely. Mayer was relied on for an Opening Day roster spot. They wouldn't part with him for Ketel Marte!

Posted
2 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

That sounds unlikely. Mayer was relied on for an Opening Day roster spot. They wouldn't part with him for Ketel Marte!

I think Brez liked Mayer more than Cora did.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Old Red said:

I think Brez liked Mayer more than Cora did.

If that was true, Mayer would probably still be here. Mayer wore out his welcome very quickly. 

Posted
1 minute ago, mvp 78 said:

If that was true, Mayer would probably still be here. Mayer wore out his welcome very quickly. 

I just said Brez liked Mayer more than Cora, which I don’t think was very much at all. I think the Red Sox got tired of Mayer not staying on the field, and wasn’t that impressed when he was. Maybe also got Mayer out of town away from little A. I think it all added up.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Old Red said:

I just said Brez liked Mayer more than Cora, which I don’t think was very much at all. I think the Red Sox got tired of Mayer not staying on the field, and wasn’t that impressed when he was. Maybe also got Mayer out of town away from little A. I think it all added up.

The biggest thing was his laissez faire attitude and just not being a professional ballplayer. Roman takes his game very seriously. Marcelo has always had it come very easy to him so he doesn't work at it. I think we're seeing Marcelo hit his ceiling right now unless he's going to put work in, but he's spent his whole life not having to be that way. Hard for him to turn the ship around now. 

Posted
1 minute ago, mvp 78 said:

The biggest thing was his laissez faire attitude and just not being a professional ballplayer. Roman takes his game very seriously. Marcelo has always had it come very easy to him so he doesn't work at it. I think we're seeing Marcelo hit his ceiling right now unless he's going to put work in, but he's spent his whole life not having to be that way. Hard for him to turn the ship around now. 

Well said.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Old Red said:

Well said.

I hate Bres answer to the question the team was projected to win 92 but you only won 87...something like that....He answered obviously had we known the injury to Crochet and Anthony the projection would've been different.

I doubt the projection had the contribution from Tolle factored in either. 

It just sounds like an excuse. Players will get hurt.

Bottom line. this team was not good enough to win the World Series. "hoping' is NOT a plan. 

Sorry Old Red, I don't know why I 'responded' to your thread.

 

 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick said:

I hate Bres answer to the question the team was projected to win 92 but you only won 87...something like that....He answered obviously had we known the injury to Crochet and Anthony the projection would've been different.

I doubt the projection had the contribution from Tolle factored in either. 

It just sounds like an excuse. Players will get hurt.

I feel like I've heard the same argument on here. He also went with "actually, from July 1 on, we were a 104 win team!" 😶

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...