Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
11 hours ago, moonslav59 said:

Sale let up the 3.

Yeah, he did.  But then, the only pitchers I ever got attached to were Jerry Casales and Calvin Schiraldi.  (Fandom is rarely rational.)

Posted
9 minutes ago, jad said:

Yeah, he did.  But then, the only pitchers I ever got attached to were Jerry Casales and Calvin Schiraldi.  (Fandom is rarely rational.)

We like Payton and Tyron.

He chuckles.

Posted

I wonder if we can get Bo Lowrance for Jarren Duran from the Dodgers in an offseason trade. 

They might be one of the teams in the market for an outfielder, there'd be little pressure on him there in a lineup with nothing but all stars and Lowrawnce would be a big help in replenishing the system with young talent. 

Posted
2 hours ago, jad said:

Yeah, he did.  But then, the only pitchers I ever got attached to were Jerry Casales and Calvin Schiraldi.  (Fandom is rarely rational.)

Non-Pedro Division:

Danny Darwin

Rich Garces

Scott Williamson

Rich Hill

Connelly Early

Posted
1 hour ago, JimEd said:

i always liked Clemens and Oil Can.

absolutely hated Bob Stanley. and, so far, Erik Miller seems like Stanley reincarnated.

Stanley holds pretty much every team record for relief pitching…

Posted
2 minutes ago, notin said:

Stanley holds pretty much every team record for relief pitching…

Saves and blown saves is held by Pap. 

Posted
45 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

Non-Pedro Division:

Danny Darwin

Rich Garces

Scott Williamson

Rich Hill

Connelly Early

No Bill Lee?

How about Greg harris- the guy who could throw both handed, although he only faced 2 batters as a lefty. That was cool!

I really liked Beckett until I didn't.

Posted
33 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

No Bill Lee?

How about Greg harris- the guy who could throw both handed, although he only faced 2 batters as a lefty. That was cool!

I really liked Beckett until I didn't.

Bill Lee was before my time. Greg Harris didn't pitch lefty with the Red Sox, I believe. Sox only let him wear the goofy glove.

 

Screenshot 2026-10-07 122200.png

Posted
1 hour ago, notin said:

Stanley holds pretty much every team record for relief pitching…

Stanley had the incredible misfortune of being intimately involved in two of the most crushing losses in team history, 8 years apart.

Posted
34 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

Bill Lee was before my time. Greg Harris didn't pitch lefty with the Red Sox, I believe. Sox only let him wear the goofy glove.

 

Screenshot 2026-10-07 122200.png

Talk about having two thumbs or two left feet.

Posted
1 hour ago, mvp 78 said:

Saves and blown saves is held by Pap. 

But appearances, relief IP, wins as a reliever -   career and single season (assuming his 14 relief wins stands up plus he had 12 more in 1982) 

heck, getting that many relief wins without setting the blown save record and vulturing them is impressive…

 

Posted
3 hours ago, Hugh2 said:

I wonder if we can get Bo Lowrance for Jarren Duran from the Dodgers in an offseason trade. 

They might be one of the teams in the market for an outfielder, there'd be little pressure on him there in a lineup with nothing but all stars and Lowrawnce would be a big help in replenishing the system with young talent. 

The Dodgers are not normally a team to decline starting talent if they already have starters.  But not sure OF deoth is a concern.

Teoscar, Pages and Tucker all return next season.  Plus they have two BA top 25 prospects in Josue De Paula and Mike Sirota that are both ready to step in.  And not really sure how any team views Duran right now.  Sure, teams will want him.  But at what price?  

Posted
32 minutes ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Schilling is an absolute ding-dong, but he played a big part in winning 2 rings.

When I first met my wife's family back in '05, her aunt went on a loooong rant about Schilling and how much better Pedro was and how annoying Schilling was. From that point on, all I could think about was how annoying Schilling was whenever I saw him on tv. Prior to that it was just whatever. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, notin said:

But appearances, relief IP, wins as a reliever -   career and single season (assuming his 14 relief wins stands up plus he had 12 more in 1982) 

heck, getting that many relief wins without setting the blown save record and vulturing them is impressive…

Now when I think about an important relief stat, I think about WINS AS A RELIEVER. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Bellhorn04 said:

Possibly because of being overtaxed in the 2024 postseason, but who knows.

And just being over 33 and declining…

Posted
2 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

Now when I think about an important relief stat, I think about WINS AS A RELIEVER. 

It’s still a record.  Are saves so important to you?  “Yea! He got 3 outs without giving up 3 runs!! What an accomplishment!!”

Posted
1 minute ago, notin said:

You know, he did make over $30million in his career as a reliever…

"What does it say?" - Liberty Biberty

Posted
Just now, mvp 78 said:

"What does it say?" - Liberty Biberty

That he’s among the wealthiest janitors in BK history?  

Posted
4 minutes ago, notin said:

It’s still a record.  Are saves so important to you?  “Yea! He got 3 outs without giving up 3 runs!! What an accomplishment!!”

He also has 61 losses. Is that the record too? 

Posted
21 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

He also has 61 losses. Is that the record too? 

Probably.  But most career win record holders also hold loss records.  Cy Young, for example…

Posted
12 minutes ago, notin said:

Probably.  But most career win record holders also hold loss records.  Cy Young, for example…

When I think of guys like Cy Young, it also reminds me of Bob Stanley. 

Yeah, the guy who holds the most IP record for relievers probably has the most wins and losses for the Sox. Makes sense. Doesn't mean he was especially valuable over that time period. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...