Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Posted
2 hours ago, Old Red said:

Of course I don’t overhype SUSPECTS like you, and others do, so to you I’m the one who needs help. NOman little Anthony did not live up to the hype, and expectations pretty much before he got hurt, when he was hurt, and most of the time after he came back, and certainly his feeble attempt to hit a baseball against the Yankees in his two AB was a pretty much an expected end to his season.That’s the facts, and it seems you can’t handle the truth. Better luck next year.

No one thinks you need help because you don’t overhype prospects. They think you need help because you repeatedly attack fans for getting excited about players on their favorite teams….

Posted
1 hour ago, notin said:

But that doesn’t mean you put eight 20 HR hitters on the field and let the defense sort itself out…

With all the strikeouts, and the popups that any major leaguer can put away - they are just not on equal footing (hitting and defense).  Im not saying dont give a care at all towards D, I am saying when you prioritize it over hitting, you get what weve seen.

Posted
23 minutes ago, notin said:

Drewski’s comment about wanting 20 HR hitters up and down the lineup.

Would it be fun to watch?  Yes, but only when they’re at bat.  Would they win a title? Probably not…

I'm not Drewski. Take that argument up with him. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, notin said:

Drewski’s comment about wanting 20 HR hitters up and down the lineup.

Would it be fun to watch?  Yes, but only when they’re at bat.  Would they win a title? Probably not…

Because the defense formula worked out so well.  This team was like elite at D, and 23rd out of 30 at hitting.  You flip that and we are on bye week.

And why is your assumption that 20 hr guys cant field.  I want more guys like Bellinger.  More guys liek the yankees have, because they keep knocking us out.  

Durban is a backup on a championship team.

Posted
Just now, drewski6 said:

Because the defense formula worked out so well.  This team was like elite at D, and 23rd out of 30 at hitting.  You flip that and we are on bye week.

And why is your assumption that 20 hr guys cant field.  I want more guys like Bellinger.  More guys liek the yankees have, because they keep knocking us out.  

Durban is a backup on a championship team.

Durbin would start for NYY.

Posted

We had an elite defense and bad offense.  And we were embarrassed in the playoffs.  And we've struggled to hit at a level that can get by the Yankees for awhile now, and we have struggled to get past the Yankees for a while now.  

 

Posted
Just now, drewski6 said:

Its not the type of playes we should be loading up on.

I wouldn't want 9 Durbins, but I wouldn't want 9 Willson's either. I think you need a mix of guys that compliment each other. Right now, the team is tilted too far one way and needs to be fixed.

Posted
Just now, mvp 78 said:

I wouldn't want 9 Durbins, but I wouldn't want 9 Willson's either. I think you need a mix of guys that compliment each other. Right now, the team is tilted too far one way and needs to be fixed.

Durbin doesnt play SS or CF and therefore his defense is a nice to have, but you swap that out for an offensive player if you can.  Unless he can play SS.  But especially at 3b, I can live with the homeruns below expectation for 3b, but 1 triple and only 25 doubles in 600 plate appearances, you are just giving up too much.

Singles , walkes, and defense is this team positional player mix, and its a great recipe to be mediocre.

If this team rolled everyone back next year minus Contreras they would be in a lot more trouble than if they rolled everyone back minus Durbin.  Other teams have plenty of guys who can hurt you with the bat.  We all knew we werent going to score.  And its not fair to blame it on short sample or yankess pitching.  

The announcers were talking about Fried throwing meatballs all game and we couldnt take advantage.

Its not even really like debate worthy. Its obvious that the 23rd best offense , who has noodlebatted their way out of the playoffs two years running - shows that we went too far towards D at the expense of hitting.

I would sway out Durban for a good hitting / average fielding 3b , no doubt.  

If Mead takes 3b (or 2b) then Durban can compete with Sogard and other options for an infield job.  But guys like that you dont marry.  Its too many singles and he needs conditions to be right to punish a pitcher.

Posted

If you like the results we are getting, keep doing what we are doing.  But without a change, I dont see why we would expect the team to open next year as a good hitting team.  

Posted

Durbin is fine, but when you have him, Sogard, Cedanne, and then you work in a 5'11 Arias who I dont think is going to be a big power guy, Duran is below for a corner outfield position, we cant count on Roman to carry us.

If you work in Arias next year, I think teh offense is more likely to get worse - not better , because Contreras is 1 yr older.

Posted
1 hour ago, notin said:

I wouldn’t characterize this year’s Phillies as a home run team.  

Team stat totals is certainly one way to look at it. I see baseball as the sum deeds of isolated individuals.

All it takes are two clutch guys who have been there and done it over 800 times combined in the regular and postseason, two NL HR champs (including the current king)...

... like Schwarber and Harper, who in what would've been their final ABs of the year went back-to-back to tie it up in the 8th, until another All-Star went deep to win it in the 10th. 

And of course Dombro's club had the lockdown starting pitchers to keep them in the games so the big boys could keep on cranking on. 

Must be nice to have 3 of the top 4 pitchers in NL WAR, all at 6 WAR or better... (not to mention pitchers as the top 5 on your own team WAR list, just ahead of your two future Hall of Fame sluggers). 

Btw: such arm depth is why the Phils could let another All-Star like Suarez walk (but not to the mound in the AL WC).

Posted
28 minutes ago, drewski6 said:

Durbin doesnt play SS or CF and therefore his defense is a nice to have, but you swap that out for an offensive player if you can.  Unless he can play SS.  But especially at 3b, I can live with the homeruns below expectation for 3b, but 1 triple and only 25 doubles in 600 plate appearances, you are just giving up too much.

Singles , walkes, and defense is this team positional player mix, and its a great recipe to be mediocre.

If this team rolled everyone back next year minus Contreras they would be in a lot more trouble than if they rolled everyone back minus Durbin.  Other teams have plenty of guys who can hurt you with the bat.  We all knew we werent going to score.  And its not fair to blame it on short sample or yankess pitching.  

The announcers were talking about Fried throwing meatballs all game and we couldnt take advantage.

Its not even really like debate worthy. Its obvious that the 23rd best offense , who has noodlebatted their way out of the playoffs two years running - shows that we went too far towards D at the expense of hitting.

I would sway out Durban for a good hitting / average fielding 3b , no doubt.  

If Mead takes 3b (or 2b) then Durban can compete with Sogard and other options for an infield job.  But guys like that you dont marry.  Its too many singles and he needs conditions to be right to punish a pitcher.

Sure, give me Paredes over Durbin. Mead? No. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, drewski6 said:

Durbin is fine, but when you have him, Sogard, Cedanne, and then you work in a 5'11 Arias who I dont think is going to be a big power guy, Duran is below for a corner outfield position, we cant count on Roman to carry us.

If you work in Arias next year, I think teh offense is more likely to get worse - not better , because Contreras is 1 yr older.

Ceddanne is one of the better hitting CFers. Hard to find an upgrade there. 3b? Maybe. 

More likely: SS, 2B, LF, C, DH

Posted
11 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

Ceddanne is one of the better hitting CFers. Hard to find an upgrade there. 3b? Maybe. 

More likely: SS, 2B, LF, C, DH

I think Mead will start at 3B, Durbin will likely play 2b - but Im not sure he's penciled in as starter.  I dont think we dump Story, so Durbin will have to compete with Sogard, Monasterio, Siegler, a potential external acquisition, and one of Story/Arias.  I think likely , they will be fine with Arias starting in AAA, which should take Story out of picture for 2b.  

And I think they view Roman as a DH next year.  

Im not sure who gets the last OF spot, whether it be an internal competition between KC, Duran, potential external acquisition.

Posted

Also, Im factoring in that Durbin has trade value.  This is a team that was elite defensively and struggled to hit , and it was our undoing 2 years in a row.  Durbin may make sense as a guy to package up, as he may be a significant piece in a trade for a big bat.   I think Roman will DH and Mead will take up an infield spot.  I see Story/Arias as one player.  And if we sign Suzuki, or maybe even Sogard wins the job....I can see Durbin having more value as a trade chip.

Posted
15 minutes ago, drewski6 said:

I think Mead will start at 3B, Durbin will likely play 2b - but Im not sure he's penciled in as starter.  I dont think we dump Story, so Durbin will have to compete with Sogard, Monasterio, Siegler, a potential external acquisition, and one of Story/Arias.  I think likely , they will be fine with Arias starting in AAA, which should take Story out of picture for 2b.  

And I think they view Roman as a DH next year.  

Im not sure who gets the last OF spot, whether it be an internal competition between KC, Duran, potential external acquisition.

Zero chance they move Durbin to 2b and Mead to 3b. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, drewski6 said:

Also, Im factoring in that Durbin has trade value.  This is a team that was elite defensively and struggled to hit , and it was our undoing 2 years in a row.  Durbin may make sense as a guy to package up, as he may be a significant piece in a trade for a big bat.   I think Roman will DH and Mead will take up an infield spot.  I see Story/Arias as one player.  And if we sign Suzuki, or maybe even Sogard wins the job....I can see Durbin having more value as a trade chip.

Sogard is barely an offesive upgrade from Durbin and he's a huge defensive downgrade. 

Posted
5 hours ago, mvp 78 said:

For next season? Probably not a pretty picture. Breslow has made a bunch of moves the past two seasons. He's also left a lot of dead wood on the roster as well. Hard to say right now. 

and emptied the farm. at least DD has WS championship and some ALE titles to show for it.

Posted
3 hours ago, southpaw777 said:

They brought him back too soon. Kid looks visibly bothered by it both physically and emotionally. Take the long offseason and get better/healthy so we can see what he’s really capable of.

he'll probably end up like Casas and never play again. he got his money. why would he care?

Posted
2 hours ago, mvp 78 said:

Glasnow, Yesavage, Scherzer all had starts that got pulled before the 5th ended in the WS last year. Pulling starters early in the playoffs has been going on for a while now. It's just up to the bullpen to pull their weight. 

and Miller has absolutely sucked ass for the last month and what does he do when Tracy puts him in? yeah....sucks ass.

Posted
28 minutes ago, 5GoldGlovesOF,75 said:

Team stat totals is certainly one way to look at it. I see baseball as the sum deeds of isolated individuals.

All it takes are two clutch guys who have been there and done it over 800 times combined in the regular and postseason, two NL HR champs (including the current king)...

... like Schwarber and Harper, who in what would've been their final ABs of the year went back-to-back to tie it up in the 8th, until another All-Star went deep to win it in the 10th. 

And of course Dombro's club had the lockdown starting pitchers to keep them in the games so the big boys could keep on cranking on. 

Must be nice to have 3 of the top 4 pitchers in NL WAR, all at 6 WAR or better... (not to mention pitchers as the top 5 on your own team WAR list, just ahead of your two future Hall of Fame sluggers). 

Btw: such arm depth is why the Phils could let another All-Star like Suarez walk (but not to the mound in the AL WC).

Not sure where you’re going here.  What started out as saying the Sox need home runs in hitters up and down the lineup has evolved into the glorification of the Phillies and their SP (3 of the top 4 in fWAR this, 4 of the top 10 last year), and home run prowess and what’s not coming up is if they don’t win today, that will have resulted in exactly one more postseason win over the last two years than the (I’m guessing) hapless Red Sox.  
 

Gotta love the characterization of Bohm as an All Star.  He actually is one, but not one any of us would be excited if he joined the Sox.  And maybe that home run prevented him from earning another title - non-tender candidate. (Apparently Bohm is the Phillies’ version of Jarren Duran since Dombrowski reportedly shopped him heavily ladt off-season, to no avail.)
 

But the Phillies do have one thing in their favor today - Atlanta is starting a 31yo career minor leaguer with 3 career MLB starts to his credit.  Much better than staring down at Schlitter, Fried and Cole on the mound.  I’m assuming Kerr will be an opener, whether that’s the plan or not. 

Back to the Sox.  I agree the Sox need some pop in that lineup.  I don’t think anyone has said otherwise.  Not sure where it will come from.  It won’t be a free agent.  What i don’t think is the Sox need 20 HR hitters up and down the lineup.  I mean, they’re not far off that now, especially if Mead plays. The only surprises might be Durbin (who did hit 13) and whoever plays 2b assuming it’s not Mead.

I think the Sox need a solid 30HR/.900 OPS bat.  But probably only one.

Gotta move Duran first to clear a place in the lineup…

Posted
10 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

Sogard is barely an offesive upgrade from Durbin and he's a huge defensive downgrade. 

Our defense was elite this year.  As a third baseman, Durbin is so below expectations when it comes to extra base hitting.   If we need to get better, guys like Durbin get squeezed.  Unless you like 0-7 in the playoffs.  He was chosen to bat ninth for a reason. He had like 39 xtra base hits thi year to like Bregmans 63.

I see no reason to marry ourselves to a singles hitter, when we are desperate for extra base hits.  

Posted
4 minutes ago, notin said:

Not sure where you’re going here.  What started out as saying the Sox need home runs in hitters up and down the lineup has evolved into the glorification of the Phillies and their SP (3 of the top 4 in fWAR this, 4 of the top 10 last year), and home run prowess and what’s not coming up is if they don’t win today, that will have resulted in exactly one more postseason win over the last two years than the (I’m guessing) hapless Red Sox.  
 

Gotta love the characterization of Bohm as an All Star.  He actually is one, but not one any of us would be excited if he joined the Sox.  And maybe that home run prevented him from earning another title - non-tender candidate. (Apparently Bohm is the Phillies’ version of Jarren Duran since Dombrowski reportedly shopped him heavily ladt off-season, to no avail.)
 

But the Phillies do have one thing in their favor today - Atlanta is starting a 31yo career minor leaguer with 3 career MLB starts to his credit.  Much better than staring down at Schlitter, Fried and Cole on the mound.  I’m assuming Kerr will be an opener, whether that’s the plan or not. 

Back to the Sox.  I agree the Sox need some pop in that lineup.  I don’t think anyone has said otherwise.  Not sure where it will come from.  It won’t be a free agent.  What i don’t think is the Sox need 20 HR hitters up and down the lineup.  I mean, they’re not far off that now, especially if Mead plays. The only surprises might be Durbin (who did hit 13) and whoever plays 2b assuming it’s not Mead.

I think the Sox need a solid 30HR/.900 OPS bat.  But probably only one.

Gotta move Duran first to clear a place in the lineup…

One 30HR/.900 OPS bat does not even keep pace with the yankees who will add judge to a team that just made us look like we are AA.

And you need to count on injuries.  Yankees lost Judge an Stanton but they have power up and down the lineup.  So guys like Bellinger and Rice made them still scary.  Do you want to be like the team who just got creamed or the team that just did the creaming?

Posted
1 hour ago, notin said:

No one thinks you need help because you don’t overhype prospects. They think you need help because you repeatedly attack fans for getting excited about players on their favorite teams….

...and he attacks certain players, managers, GMs, owners mercilessly.

He continually called Anthony's injury his pinky finger to get across an obvious side-swipe.

When a prospect does very well, does he come back from long absences to make sure we know he got one wrong?

 

Posted
3 minutes ago, moonslav59 said:

...and he attacks certain players, managers, GMs, owners mercilessly.

He continually called Anthony's injury his pinky finger to get across an obvious side-swipe.

When a prospect does very well, does he come back from long absences to make sure we know he got one wrong?

 

The Red Sox absolutely put too much in the collective basket of KC, Mayer, and Roman....ANd thats largely why its been a frustrating 5-8 years.  And I do think its annoying when fans defend this approach.

Are you still super jazzed that we replaced Bregman with 0 IP Ranger Suarez?  Bregman had like 65 extra base hits this year that we like really really really could have used.  

I dont mind getting excited for RA, but he was always a worm killer.  And the issue is that people were more than fine letting Bregman go for Mayer, overrating RA's hitting.  Last offseason - people wanted to count on Casas for this last year.

Posted
6 hours ago, drewski6 said:

Batting Abreu 4th against a lefty pitcher was ..... a choice.

Tracy had a rough series, I think thats fair. Lets hope he learned.  MVP is right, we are with Breslow and Tracy. Just gotta hope they learned something.

Did you intentionally leave the word 'stuck' out of your post?

Posted
8 minutes ago, drewski6 said:

The Red Sox absolutely put too much in the collective basket of KC, Mayer, and Roman....ANd thats largely why its been a frustrating 5-8 years.  And I do think its annoying when fans defend this approach.

Are you still super jazzed that we replaced Bregman with 0 IP Ranger Suarez?  Bregman had like 65 extra base hits this year that we like really really really could have used.  

I dont mind getting excited for RA, but he was always a worm killer.  And the issue is that people were more than fine letting Bregman go for Mayer, overrating RA's hitting.  Last offseason - people wanted to count on Casas for this last year.

Besides being a 'worm killer,' RA is soft. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...