Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

drewski6

Verified Member
  • Posts

    5,196
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by drewski6

  1. Ive praised him. I like how active he is. But I cant forgive how he treats people and let the offense go to s***.
  2. I just checked in 1993 we were seventh FROM THE BOTTOM in runs/game (hitting) and THIRD FROM THE TOP in RA/game (pitching /defense)....In 1994 we were like twelfth, again, from the bottom. Thats a bottom 10 offense those 2 years averaged.... And we were like seventh from the top in RA/game. So I asked for examples for sox teams that were built around offense and were as bad as the team we have.... You gave me a window, and in that window - yes those teams were bad.....But they had a top 5 staff and a bottom 10 offense. Again, dont go into the season with a bottom 10,11,12 offense. Live in the top 10 or get these results.
  3. also, after re-reading your post from the previous page i see that you more so said the problem with building around pitching and d to keep you afloat is the hole in said boat that is the bullpen....ANd I reframed your position as if you were implying that the problem with this team is the bullpen. I think I inadvertently tweaked your position when I tried to reframe it, and I apologize for that. And yes MVP, arf arf. But again, basset hound guy, so its more of a woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (keeps going)
  4. were the sox teams that had powerhouse offenses but lacked pitching and defense this bad?
  5. these days im having a hard time accepting that this season is not squarely on breslows shoulders. So I dont love reading about the other players who breslow shrewdly avoided (even though I can acknowledge that the most recent FA class was full of landmines) or that we had all these unforeseeable drop offs (even though I can acknowledge that there were plenty) or blaming Kennedy or Henry (our payroll did go up this offseason) Breslow shouldnt get to excuse his way out of this.
  6. I like the contreras move. But my point is that what he really liked about contreras is that he was affordable enough to add him alongside another player (which was going to be bregman but became suarez). But I think he pulled the trigger on contreras because he was good value and still had room to add another bat. I liked the contreras deal. STill do. I just feel the need to disagree with some kind of notion that the state of the offense is as much bad luck as it is breslows incompetence....And I think when people say things like "all the guys you would have wanted are struggling too"....or "we couldnt have predicted so many drop offs".....This points to things like "hands were tied" or "couldnt have saw that coming, its just bad luck".... But I think we are in last place because we have a bad GM. ANd I said last year, I think we are a playoff team despite a bad GM....adn everyone was like yeah , but playoffs....And I ultimately accepted that...... But where Im coming from righ now......Is the old notion: "if you dont like what you are getting, change what you are doing" applies. But that feels contra to things like "it wasnt the strategy or execution of breslows plan, it was a bad FA class" or "nobody could have known all these drop offs" I think those things are both true. And Im not trying to hate on you (or Notin) for pointing this stuff out. Im just saying that we went into the season with a bottom half projected offense with a GM gleefully saying "we are built around our pitching and defense" and so Im not willing to accept these excuses. Maybe bad luck and a bad FA class are contributing factors to why we stink it up in an extremely stinky AL, but it cant explain away all of it. Breslow is a failure.
  7. Why would you say "no (period)" and then do it? JK I wondered that for a sec then realized No meant number. I would submit that based on your list, which I think was made thoughtfully and in good faith, so I will accept it....That there is a better chance than not that Duran winds up top 3. Hes significant more durable than 2 of the guys above him. Rafaela still needs to convince me hes become this good....But I dont hate your list....Also, I would note the drop off after 4 but before 5.
  8. Pointing to unforeseeable drop offs implies its not the fault of the captains vision. Sometimes y'all sound like an insurance company trying to claim "act of God" to get out accepting fault. Not you, MVP. Your only part in this is telling me that nobody is saying stuff that I read every day. Joe Brady really did say second best team in baseball. He really did say that we were set up to have an unprecedented 5 yr run of success. That we had a great offseason and the best part of it was the that we left the door open for Casas. Joe Brady and Moon high five every day over the players we didnt get. Or choices Breslow made. Notin is right now defending the offseason approach to fixing the lineup. To be clear - I dont think you are doing much of this. I just dont understand why you saying "nobody is saying that". Im not the guy using straw-man extremes to argue disingenuously. Thats stuff like: some guys can play ss, c, and 1b but thats not duran. Thats not a good faith argument
  9. Every non RS fan who I spoke to this offseason about the RS getting good (I was jazzed at one point) laughed in my face and told me "no offense" Granted that was like 3 people. But 3 neutral people who watch a lot of baseball.
  10. Maybe stop trading away our better hitters?
  11. Last year we traded Devers who had been our best offensive player of the last 3 years. This year, the problem that Im reading about here are 1. My expectations 2. Not addressing the bullpen, 3. That we did not trade our best hitter of the last 3 years again for the second time in a row. Again, I must ask: Am i getting trolled?
  12. One person each is not exactly a ranking, but sure.
  13. Lowe? Toro? Coulda got Josh Naylor but he went to the scrap heap. Coulda had Devers but he bruised Breslows ego..... I dont get it, yesterday MVP was like nobody was defending Breslows offseason....And today its but but but the unforeseeable bad breaks!! Unacceptable. Never again. THis is how we have become last place larry.
  14. The team that had Sogard, Eaton, falling off a cliff Narvaez, and Lowe and Masa in their playoff lineup last year....Now has Sogard, Durbin, Gasper (at DH), falling off a cliff Narvaez We got lucky with Contreras, we didnt go get him because we thought he would be the best hitter on our team. We liked his price tag. But sure. And we dont even need to analyze this....Breslow himself said "its obvious that the strength of this team is pitching and defense." Breslow built a team that tries to win with pitching and defense and less focus on offense. ANd he has been deprioritizing offense since last year, and I really dont care that he caught a few lucky breaks with Toro or Dom or Lowe over the years to add to our offense or the pre-post devers trade metrics, when looking at the offense last year , the playoff version, it was noodlebat city....and going into this year we were noodlebat city.
  15. Out of everyone on the red sox right now, rank them in order of who you expect to have the most xtra base hits over the next 5 years Single hitting roman who struggles to stay healthy? 37 yr old Contreras? Duran is one of our best bet for xtra base hits and we need xtra base hits.
  16. After watching noodlebat city in the playoffs last year, all these if you squint, you could have saw a - you know bottom half offense but not this bad....which means the problem wasnt the offense in the offseason rings hollow. We were projected 19 offense by some. So thats bottom 11. Okay we are bottom 3. WHen you go into the season with a bottom 10 offense and you wind up bottom 3, you dont get to claim bad luck. You set yourself up for it. The lesson here needs to be never again. Never again should we enter the season with anything but a top 10 offense, and we should really be striving to be top 1. Teams built around pitching and defense gets you what we have.
  17. I would also argue their status as "starters"
  18. yes, the problem with the weakest offense since the dead ball era is the bullpen
  19. Adames has roughtly 150m in cash payouts, left on his deal. The proposed deal had the giants eating 20, so we would add 130m in salary, thereabouts. Duran has arb 3 and arb 4 left, and obviously a portion of his 7.7M remaining this year....so thats like 30m in future commitments. Bello has like 50m-ish in future commitments. So yes, this is net cash out by the red sox of about 50m. But its not a pure "get the player" trade, we are sending 2 and getting 1. But thats not even my question..... Why if we are trading Duran for Adames, we are using the excess value that Duran possesses to lesson the financial commitment to Adames? Instead of us getting as much baseball value out of Duran, we are instead using a significant amount of his excess value to get the giants to eat 20m off a recent FA signing (which is LOL in and of itself...How about instead of us signing free agent bats, you sign them then trade them to us eating some money and we'll flip you something back like I dont know, our best hitter of the last 3 years).....And we are also using it to dump Bello. This is more of the same. This is how we became last place larry. Its not a trade for offense. Its a trade of our best offensive player of the last 3 yrs for a different player who you think is a better positional fit and the excess value between our outgoing player who is getting sold (Duran) has over the incoming player (Adames) is getting used to clear some money off a recent FAs contract and salary dump Bello. MAX EFFICIENCY
  20. A sprained ligament and a partially torn ligament overlap. Thats why medical professionals use a grading system of 1-to-4. 1 - minimal present structural damage, no tear - okay to call a sprain but you would probably say small sprain or minor sprain 2 - slight stress damage, slight tear - okay to call a sprain or a minor tear 3 - significant stress damage, partial tear. Significant tear but not complete - you would call this a "severe sprain" or a tear 4- complete rip - misleading to call a sprain, you would call it a "complete tear" Think like a rubber band. A stretch resulting by a snap back with no structural damage is no injury thats what a rubber band is designed to do. . But if that band/ligament stretches too far, and its now compromised, maybe its looser, but no rip can be seen, thats a 1. A slight rip at the edge would be a 2. A more severe rip would be a 3. A complete rip would be a 4. So Sam probably described Romans injury as a 1 or 2 when really its looking like its a 2.5. But thats not wrong, just a consequence from using laymen/non-exact colloquial terminology. Sam prob could have said "significant sprain" instead of "sprain" but thats not really something to call him a clown over. And also, it was Craig who fired Cora. So in that exchange with them contradicting each other, it was Breslow who is the clown. All of this is to say that Sam Kennedy can be a clown. But Breslow is full Bozo. Hes the real clown.
  21. Yes, I wasnt trying to take Freds position that our playoff chances are 0%. That stuff is easily googleable and the model has us at like 27%. I was just trying to point out the humor that not only are we near the bottom of the AL, but we are near the bottom of a hilariously week AL. So we double suck. But I agree with everything here.
×
×
  • Create New...