Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. How can you say that when the Sox scored 6 runs with Devers and nada without him?
  2. Amazingly comprehensive laydown, thanks. About right, I think--not especially optimistic, as it should not be.
  3. True--and who knew our rotation would be our best area? The 0 is 0, actually.
  4. Without Devers, a miserable Sox lineup. Duran absolutely, positively can neither see nor hit a breaking ball. And why oh why is Dalbec on this roster? He has had an infinity of chances and never delivered. I know, it's early. 160 games to go, but tonight was just miserable. Sox pitching looked good, however, especially Pivetta. Good move leaving Winck in for the 8th.
  5. A fair point, but it actually works both ways. Sometimes the next reliever saves the previous guy's bacon by getting guys out and preventing that baserunner(s) from scoring. I notice Rodriguez did get credit for a hold.
  6. Need the bats, I'm afraid, because Pivetta is suspect. But I said that last night about Bello and was dead wrong. I believe both teams are going with 4 righty starters in this series. Last night Cora started 5 lefty bats--Duran, Devers, Casas, Yoshida, and Valdez, but platooned in Reyes at 2b when I think Seattle brought in a lefty reliever. Valdez was 1/2 and Reyes 0/2.
  7. Nice win. I did watch parts and especially Jansen closing.
  8. Captains Courageous is on right now, 6 pm, on TCM. Terrific movie with Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew (who's excellent), Lionel Barrymore, and Melvyn Douglas. Based on Kipling novel. Tracy got the academy award for best actor. Freddie plays a spoiled rich kid who becomes a mensch by the end of the movie--thanks mostly to Tracy. Terrific photography of sailing ships off the shores of eastern USA.
  9. There is no SP/rotation depth. Those five "starters" are mostly relievers. Our ace, Bello, had 28 starts last year and 157 IP. Then came Crawford with 23 and 129 and Houck with 21 and 106. I figure Cora will need/use 6 pitchers per game, and the math on that gets ugly.
  10. Not me. I blame Cora for not making chicken salad out of chickenspit. Sure, he did OK back in 2018 when he was well-stocked with hitting and pitching. But good managers can win with anybody.
  11. Hmmm. Looks like pessimism is rampant.
  12. Not the response I wanted to see.
  13. I'm sorta back, having missed all of spring training--except for checking scores and occasionally the stats--and of course all of the winter discussions. I'm a Heels fan and they're still playing--Alabama tonight in LA at 9:40. Looks like a grim year. Sale's gone, no doubt because JH was ecstatic to dump him to the Braves, so the rotation is mostly relievers. If they screw up, Cora will be blamed.
  14. The 84 win Diamondbacks are going to the WS largely because of their pitching.
  15. Yes, but that's the point. I claimed that the four teams--Orioles, Dodgers, Astros, and Braves--who "rested" 6 days between the last season games and the beginning of the division series, were screwed by the schedule. That's now way back in the rearview mirror. On the other hand, the Diamondbacks have played excellent postseason baseball, especially their pitching. I think they are legit, not lucky. And that leads me back to the Sox, who won won 78 games and were just 6 games back of the D-backs. That doesn't mean I think the Sox should have been in the postseason. Not at all. But I do think all the claims by moonslav and many others that Bloom should have been making more moves last December and this past July have new legitimacy. I will add that I personally griped about the Sox weak righthanded hitting, but now agree with everyone who insisted the pitching was far more important. Thus too the new CBO for the Sox is reportedly an expert on fixing the pitching.
  16. You're repeating yourself, but that's perfectly fine with me. You're consistent. Not sure what you mean by smug because these days professional athletes of all kinds seem to relish showing off when they do something right. MLB used to be pretty restrained, but no longer. They go ape for every single--whether or not it drives anyone home. About the cheating. You're right, of course. But I have to say stealing signals has been going on for a very long time--and now seems to be arrested by technology. However, you better believe teams film opposing pitchers hoping to find a telltale that says, "I'm about to throw heat"--or whatever.
  17. Sorry, but I like the ghost runner--or, at least, what the ghost runner accomplishes. The most popular sport in the world by far is soccer/football, and they had to go to a shootout to avoid ties in the World Cup, the most important sports championship in the world. Shootouts are no worse than ghost runners. And, yes, I do know you can have ties in early rounds/games in the World Cup.
  18. Go Diamondbacks!!! Up 4-1 in the 7th--over the Phillies, who I am definitely rooting against. Also rooting against the Rangers, but have to say that has been an excellent series. I'm rooting for the Astros for just one reason: they are the only team of the four teams with first round byes who are still in it. I think the Orioles, Dodgers, and Braves all got screwed by the new format. That said, I don't think there's a bad team in the final four (Phillies, D-backs, Rangers, and Astros). I know the Diamondbacks only won 84 games in the regular season, but they look pretty decent to me.
  19. Agree completely, but you have again ignored the fact that that the worst team--the Diamondbacks-- won 52% of the time in the regular season and the very best team (Braves) won just 64% of the time. That's a measly 12% difference in winning percentage. Last year in the NFL the winningest regular season teams were 14-3, 82%, and the lowest percentage team who still made the playoffs were the Seahawks at 53%. Historically, similar percentages have applied to the NBA postseason teams, but last year the best team, the Bucks, only won 71%. Lowest "play-in" team won 50%. So that's a swing of just 21%.
  20. Because 30 teams is just too many/too long. Right now 12 out of 30 make it, and that's 40 freaking per cent, more than enough. Actually, even with six wild card series (best 2 of 3 games), two ALDS and two NLDS (best of 5), and one each ALCS and NLCS (best of 7), plus the world series (best of 7), they expect to finish the World Series not later than Nov 4, which works fine with the climate heating up.
  21. I admit I used straight math without consideration of comparative strengths and weaknesses. However, everyone on talksox is complaining about what a crapshoot the postseason is without admitting that in fact the winningest MLB teams are not much better than the guys who just sneak into the post season. Specifically, the lowly Diamondbacks won 52% and the Braves 64%. That a difference of 12 freaking percent, which ain't that much.
  22. It's turned into a competitive series between two Texas teams. The Rangers had a big advantage going in because the new format meant the Astros sat on their duffs from Sunday to Saturday--and lost their edge. Then NLCS between the Phillies and Diamondbacks is also competitive.
×
×
  • Create New...