Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. It is a delight to read "A Realistic View of 2024, Part II" this morning. Lots of good stuff on the Sox overall and especially on options when/if Story goes on the IL for an extended period. I still think moonslav was/is right to say it's better this year than last year despite those two absolutely unforgivable errors--leading to 4 stinking unearned runs and a 5-5 tie--last night by Rafaela and Valdez. Because of what moonslav said before the season started, I now think the defense has been good for the pitching, which has been spectacularly good--for 8 games, anyway. The Sox have traditionally favored hitting over defense--and for the most part it has paid off. Of the 2004, 2007, 2013, or 2018 WS winners, only the 2007 Sox did not lead MLB in runs scored. Even with Manny and Big Papi and Mike Lowell, the 2007 Sox languished in 4th place (in MLB) in runs scored. It helped that the 2007 Sox team ERA was ranked 2d in MLB. So maybe this year the Sox can survive or even thrive on good pitching backed up by above average fielding--and hitting that's mid-range. Right now the Sox team OPS, .720, is mid-range, ranked 14th. I hasten to add that there were few signs--granted, in just 8 games--that Story was about to emerge as a serious offensive threat. But we already know there are some good hitters--Devers, Casas, maybe Yoshida, both catchers, O'Neill, and Duran--who can maybe produce enough runs to put the Sox in the upper third of MLB in hitting/scoring.
  2. Good discussion on SS and the likely loss of Story, whose OPS is .617. As you two seem to agree, his strength this year is his defense, so why not look for the best defensive SS's in the system?
  3. I must admit, candidly, that you and a few others, while you may now and then incorrectly second guess Alex Cora, definitely have the goods on what the GM/CBO should or should not do or have done. I mean you have the specifics nailed down. Me, I'm kind of a big picture guy and right now cannot believe how well these Sox are playing--on the West Coast and without the traditional big bats. My take is one big bat, O'Neill's, and two good bats, Duran's and McGuire's. So far--6-2 with 2 more games in Anaheim/LA--it's all about the pitching. Right before the season started I scoffed at the rotation and jumped right on the "this team is going nowhere" anti-bandwagon.
  4. The pitching has been insanely good. This staff is simply unrecognizable because they all wear Red Sox uniforms.
  5. Wasn't he amazing? Just two days ago I was reading right here on talksox that all he does is walk people. We are nothing if not over-reactors. Me too of course.
  6. No. All 4 are unearned because there should have 3 outs before the grand slam.
  7. Rafaela and Valdez errors on routine easy plays cost 4 unearned runs and absolutely screwed a good reliever. Very unprofessional. Casual, even.
  8. I think Devers swinging at ball 4 and then popping out cost the Sox a run. Not smart.
  9. Does the nose know or doesn't it? Cora knows baseball, and I am one of the very few who knows he knows. And no, I absolutely did not expect 4 quick runs tonight. Two dingers by lefty bats McGuire and Casas and one by our best hitter O'Neill. Now an error by Casas.
  10. A lotta lefty bats, and McGuire is catching two straight games. Cora has to do something to start scoring some runs.
  11. My points are so-so, but I like yours--that all Sox LF's had to play half their games in other ballparks. I forgot that. Nevertheless, the beauty of the Green Monster is that it justifies playing guys there who are great hitters, but not so great on defense. Now, amazingly, it's Duran, the speed merchant, and he's starting to hit. Rafaela has CF covered, and O'Neill is the right guy for RF.
  12. It's common knowledge, so no need to go into specifics. Verily, it is written: when a team loses, it's always because of something the manager did or failed to do or both.
  13. Thank you for speaking up!!! Now I know the Sox will get to the postseason this year.
  14. Right you are! I have a reading deficiency. Two years in Boston and two in LA do not change my opinion. Grady Little was not MLB managerial material. Word is that the players liked him.
  15. These days it's a struggle to be high on Bello. Last time I checked, being young is not a skill. If anything, it's an impediment except for the most gifted of baseball players.
  16. Sox Prospects says look for Mayer in 2025 at the earliest.
  17. Agree on last sentence. As for the rest, Sox need to be tough.
  18. Back to Realistic View of 2024, Part II. I have no realistic view of this season. None. I'm thrilled with the 5-2 record and the terrific pitching, best right now in MLB. Defense is good. Baserunning's good. Cora's good. Hitting sucks, but will hopefully get better. If it does, this could be an unbelievable season after finishing last in the AL East (best Div in MLB, however) the last two.
  19. Farrell was fired after the 2017 season in which the Sox won the AL East but again bombed in the ALDS. No one hired him after he left the Sox--except as a scout. That's a pretty big demotion. Francona was fired after the 2011 season--actually, I think his contract wasn't renewed--but went on to great success with the Guardians. Farrell lasted 8 seasons with the Sox and about 11 with the Guardians. That's a good manager. JH fired Grady Little after the 2003 season and especially the ALCS. He had just one season as Sox manager. Later he managed the Dodgers, also for one season. Now he's a "senior advisor" with the Pirates. Cora's in his 6th season with the Sox. I think he's good and will stay with the Sox, but who knows? Managers are hired to be fired--with some exceptions.
  20. In my opinion, yours are pretty good--but not always. Your comments on Sox leftfielders are spot on although you neglected to mention why so many were so bad. The green monster was and is the great equalizer. Putting a great outfielder in LF at Fenway is a waste. I gave JBJ the edge only because I saw him in action many times. But I absolutely do not count myself as an expert on center fielders. Except, of course, for Willie Mays. When he spoke at his HOF ceremony, he said he never saw a better player (than himself). I'm inclined to agree with him.
  21. I could not agree more. It's not just the different eras, it's that every player is a unique individual.
  22. It's still early right now, April 4, 2024. And it will stay early as long as there is hope. In the old days, that happened with the Sox infamous "June swoon."
  23. weren't, not wasn't. And the A's scored how many runs from all those Sox errors?
  24. About KC. It's in the Great Plains. I lived there for 5 years, intermittently from 1948 to 1990, about 35 miles from KC and can assure you the winters are cold and snowy and July and August pretty doggone hot. April was a mixed bag a lot like the Robert Frost poem: "The sun was warm, but the wind was chill./You know how is with an April day/When the sun is out and the wind is still,/You're one month on in the middle of May./But if you so much as dare to speak,/A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,/A wind comes off a frozen peak/and you're two months back in the middle of March."
×
×
  • Create New...