Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Recommended Posts

Verified Member
Posted
15 minutes ago, mvp 78 said:

He hasn't been an 800 OPS guy in several years. I think that's expecting too much TBH.

That's not my expectation, that's about what I think his offensive ceiling can be if he's healthy. 

Posted
6 hours ago, mvp 78 said:

He hasn't been an 800 OPS guy in several years. I think that's expecting too much TBH.

I was kinda setting the bar at .790 with hopes he might do better but a liklihood he'd probably be .725-.775.

I expected Narvaez to be .550-.600 and Wong maybe .625-.675, post trade. Combined, maybe .600-.650, so even .700 to .750is 100 points better plus very good defense.

Old-Timey Member
Posted
18 hours ago, moonslav59 said:

I was kinda setting the bar at .790 with hopes he might do better but a liklihood he'd probably be .725-.775.

I expected Narvaez to be .550-.600 and Wong maybe .625-.675, post trade. Combined, maybe .600-.650, so even .700 to .750is 100 points better plus very good defense.

But Rutschman has been a 3-5 bWAR guy, which is an upgrade…

Posted
1 hour ago, notin said:

But Rutschman has been a 3-5 bWAR guy, which is an upgrade…

I was fine with the trade at the time. We overpaid, but deadline deals for the better players, especially those that are not rentals is expected.

I was very high on more than just Eyanson, but their value was and still is speculative.

We needed a bat. Catcher was our weakest offensive position and not great on D either.

The trade is still TBD. Even if AR gives us a 2 WAR next year and something of value this year, it might be a plus. His playoff numbers might override averything else.

What the return package does might end up being the deciding factor, and those results are 2-5 years away.

I'd rather see deals like this than the non-Schwarber Bloom deadline nonsense.

I've also argues that winter roster construction should be designed to avoid needing to make massive summer overpays to fill holes, but on this one, I give Bloom a half pass. I thought Narvaez & Wong were fine for 2026 and beyond. I was wrong, so I can't blame Brez for agreeing with me.

I did think we came up a big bat short, last winter, but I felt the overloading of pitching could/would make up for it. I also think the Mead trade should have met the bat need we fell short of. That was a sort of overpay, too but not massive. His first game injury forced the AR deal.

Half pass.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund
The Talk Sox Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Red Sox community on the internet.

×
×
  • Create New...