Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

UtahSox

Verified Member
  • Posts

    778
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by UtahSox

  1. Disagree Notin…. Free agency is about you deciding whether or not said FA player is a better baseball player than what you have. On the actual baseball diamond. You have an organization that “allegedly” NETTED 124m in 2024. If they eat into that to get a good player it’s worth it. I don’t care what you say stat wise we would be a better team today if AB2 was on this roster. He’d help young guys, provide protection for WC40. Every team has those, look at Mike Trout his contract is albatross but he is playing well. Top 5 CF in game, he is not the reason they are losing. Look at Giancarlo contract the contract is terrible but yet they deal with it. “Scared money don’t make money” RedSox are running scared.
  2. I forgot about that. Funny story made me smile, This type of leadership is not great for organizational culture.
  3. This has been my message from the day I signed up on this site…. I have a few thoughts: 1- RS and so many of you on Talksox are scared of a bad contract. I believe this stems from ownership training their loyal fans, what’s important to them. Many MANY love to project 4 years into the future and say “that won’t age well” they may be right they may be wrong. They take victory parade, after victory parade, for every slow season start or 15 game slump the guy they didn’t sign has. Conversely they talk about 2030 every time they get on a hot streak. WC-40 is having a career year at 34 years old, in a lineup with zero protection. Imagine if every pitching coach message wasn’t “hey, there is 5 triple A bats behind Contreras so don’t give him anything here, a walk is a win” point is good baseball players have a better chance at producing into 35-37 age range. 2- AFV=actual Field Value that’s the only metric Red Sox need to improve on between now, and the trade deadline. Obviously RS shouldn’t go after any 1 season rentals but anything beyond that should be priority if they are good at baseball. I’m of the belief we are waaaaaay too far into a reset, and this fanbase is way too anxious to sell for ‘28-‘30 prospects. But if you can turn those prospects into high AFV players by start of season next year all good. 3- I don’t care about 2028-2030 right now, 2027 is the only year that matters. I think the trade deadline this season is the most important in the last 7 years for RS. There is very little by way of free agent bats for next season, I care about 2026 (kinda dead) but still could gain a pulse if a couple real bats are added to lineup (optimist in me says we are only 5.5 games out) if RS don’t get bats I think 2027 will be a lot of the same as 2026.
  4. Sox need help from good baseball players…. Period I don’t care who they are or how we get them. I’ll worry about 2030 in 2030
  5. At this point I’ll take on Adames, Chapman, AND Devers if they take Yoshida and Story….. I can’t watch this ass lineup anymore……. it’s beyond painful.
  6. MVP you and I argued the merits of veteran guys for a week. You know I’m not advocating status quo. im advocating taking bad contracts back, to get decent actual baseball players.
  7. Yeah the old “rebuild with prospects” route has really worked for us since 2019. Let’s get prospects while watching pitchers like Crochet, Suarez, Tolle and Early languish with an offense like this. Willson will be 35 next year. There are no bats in FA to add next year, unless you think Chisholm or Torres are the answer? So are you looking at 2028-2029 before we put a winning product on the field? who is to say those pitchers are the same guys by then? Depressing reality.
  8. No, but this roster as it’s currently composed has zero chance zero chance of being a playoff team they have to make a move, and if they wait a month and they’re 13 or 14 games under 500 it’ll be tough to comeback. I don’t think it’s possible.
  9. I think he has ZERO protection in the lineup. Dude has been mashing, but why give him anything to hit with the rest of this Absolute ass roster. Beta Breslow needs to be canned. We need two more bats….. go get them. There are no solid bats in FA. Need to get via trade.
  10. I’m getting tired of the Red Sox extending players who are still in the early stages of arbitration and, in the process, inflating their AAV before they’ve truly established themselves. I get it. It’s becoming a league wide fad. But it’s one I wish the Red Sox never participated in. The track record on these deals for RS has been pretty poor. They often turn players who should be movable assets into contracts that are difficult to trade if things don’t go as planned. They tried to do it with Tristan Casas, and thankfully he didn’t accept. Could you imagine that deal? They did it with Brayan Bello, and that contract looks worse by the day. If Bello were still on a standard arbitration path with multiple years of team control remaining, another organization might convince itself it could unlock another level from him, similar to how the Brewers viewed Kyle Harrison. Instead, his contract reduces his trade value and makes a fresh start impossible to facilitate. Then there’s Kristian Campbell. I never understood the urgency of that extension. Now the Red Sox are committed to significant guaranteed money for a player who may or may not develop into what they hope. At this point, he would likely be viewed more as a throw-in piece than a centerpiece in a major trade. Even with Roman Anthony after essentially two months of high-level hitting. Don’t get me wrong—I love Anthony’s talent, approach, and long-term ceiling. But we’ve seen him literally get injured twice now from swinging a baseball bat. He played 70/97 eligible games last year, and now has played in 30/61 this year. Injury concerns + just from a roster-building perspective, there is tremendous value in having an elite player under the six years of arbitration control, rather than immediately committing to a deal carrying a $16+ million AAV. Rafaela would be making 800k this year vs 6.25m AAV that could have been the difference allowing us to sign Bregman back.
  11. I think I agree with this assessment, bring Bennett up start him throw 3 innings and then have Bello be all the relief pitchers in that game? Sort of what we are seeing Seattle do right now. We are seeing a few teams riding 6 SP’s right now. Bello seems like a head case though right now. So maybe just moving him to low leverage relief for a couple of weeks? I have had a couple of the random thoughts on this though. Maybe it was time for Cora to go? I’ve never said this before, but it seems like he made a culture of Divas. First was the Devers crap from last year. Not willing to do what is necessary positionally to win. Then we had the Bello stuff waving off pitching coaches/catchers even being demonstrative when pulled from games. Then this year Trevor Story and his barely 500 OPS acting like Breslow needs to run team decisions by him. “How bout this Trev you’re part of why your coach got canned.”
  12. Not a big savant guy but you’re right his 2026 stats look pretty bad. I’d still do the trade. For a couple reasons. 1. he is only 23 months older than Marcelo. (Plays a lot more games) much better baseball player IMO 2. Eyanson might be really good, but we can get pitching and have 4 SP’s locked up for 4 more years. And FA pitchers seem easier to acquire than good middle infielders.
  13. I think you’d need Eyanson to get deal done….. Neto is Really athletic, like really athletic great shortstop I believe top 5 in DRS since 2023.
  14. Neto for Marcelo Mayer + Eyanson+ Jake Bennett? Essentially Mayer for Neto and 2 suspects?
  15. My thoughts on who lonely could be thinking of based on three assumptions: 1- Roman Anthony will be back. 2- Ceddanne Rafaela will continue to play center field. 3- The Red Sox will not trade Jarren Duran. (At least not now in this transaction) let’s go team by team and look at potential infield right-handed bats who fit what Buster Olney has been hinting at: productive veterans on significant contracts whose teams may be willing to move them. New York Mets- The Mets are the first team that comes to mind. If the 2025 season didn’t work and the 2026 season is heading in the same direction, maybe ownership decides it’s time to reset and retool for next year. The most obvious name would be Bo Bichette. He has always hit at Fenway, he’s a proven right-handed bat, and the Mets may decide they aren’t bringing him back after his current deal anyway. They’d probably have to eat some money, but the fit is obvious. Another possibility is Marcus Semien. He’s still a productive player, but he’s 35 years old and owed a lot of money. If Francisco Lindor is returning and the Mets want to turn the page, maybe they’d rather give more playing time to younger players while moving Semien’s contract. Hopefully it’s not him, but if it is, maybe Boston would acquire him on significant subsidy from Mets. Miami Marlins- I don’t see a fit here. The one player I really like is Otto Lopez. He plays excellent defense, gets on base, hits for average, and can handle both shortstop and second base. The problem is that he’s still in his arbitration years and doesn’t fit the “large contract veteran” profile. He’d cost actual prospects to acquire. Colorado Rockies- Ezequiel Tovar is at least worth mentioning. He looked like a future star not long ago but has seen his production drop significantly. He’s still young and talented, but because he isn’t on a large contract, he doesn’t really fit the Buster Olney criteria. He’d also require legitimate prospect capital. Still, if the Red Sox wanted to buy low on a shortstop with upside, he’s an interesting name. Los Angeles Angels- I just don’t see a major fit here. Maybe there are smaller moves involving players like Oswald Peraza, Yoán Moncada, or Jorge Soler, but none of them feel like the type of impact right-handed bat we’re talking about. Minnesota Twins no one fits olneys quote: Maybe Byron Buxton becomes available?? He’s still an impact player when healthy and would immediately improve any lineup. The challenge is figuring out where he fits with Rafaela in center and Duran in the outfield. It probably requires a third team trade of one our outfielders and gets complicated quickly. Kansas City Royals- My dream target remains Maikel Garcia. He’s exactly the type of player I would love to add. Great defender, quality bat, versatile, and entering his prime. Unfortunately, that’s also why Kansas City probably doesn’t want to move him. the more realistic short-term option could be Salvador Perez. The Royals have catcher Carter Jensen coming, and if Kansas City were willing to eat salary, maybe Perez could be acquired relatively cheaply. Even at his age, he would add some serious punch to the lineup. Houston Astros- The obvious name is Isaac Paredes. Houston has Cam Smith, who originally came up as a third baseman, and another young infielder in Xavier Neyens who has been hitting well and looks ready for big league opportunity, That could make Paredes even more expendable than he was in February. The second name is Jeremy Peña. Houston also has Brice Matthews developing, and if they believe they can replace Peña internally, perhaps they’d consider moving him while his value is high. The third name is Carlos Correa. I don’t think this is likely, but if Houston were willing to eat a substantial portion of the contract, you could at least see the logic. He’s still only 31 and could have productive years ahead of him. Of the Houston options, I think Paredes is by far the most likely. San Francisco Giants- This is the team that makes the most sense to me. The Giants are in last place, have an expensive roster, and have several contracts that may not age particularly well. At the same time, they have a top prospect in Bryce Eldridge who needs at-bats. They also have Rafael Devers, who essentially has to play, and Casey Schmitt, who has broken out and is producing while making very little money. Between 1b, 3b and DH they have 4 guys Bryce Eldridge, Casey Shmitt, Rafi Devers and Matt Chapman. That creates a roster crunch. The obvious odd man out is Matt Chapman. He still plays excellent defense, is respected in the clubhouse, and can absolutely help a team. But he’s older, expensive, and perhaps no longer fits San Francisco’s long-term timeline. If the Giants are motivated to create payroll flexibility, Boston could potentially acquire him while San Francisco absorbs a significant portion of the remaining contract. The other name we’ve discussed endlessly is Willy Adames. He’s only 30 years old, still has real power, and has multiple years remaining on a large contract. If the Giants decide they need financial flexibility and want to reshape the roster, Adames becomes a logical trade candidate. Of all the names mentioned, the 5 that make the most sense to me in order of probability are: 1- Isaac Paredes 2- Matt Chapman 3- Willy Adames 4- Bo Bichette 5- Marcus Semien If Buster Olney is hearing about a veteran right-handed bat with a significant contract becoming available, my money is on one of these guys.
  16. Hmmmm that would be not a big contract as he only has a year and a half left. He makes 5.2 this year and will probably make 9-10m next. He has really low AFV 15.1 ( lower than 2025-2026 production should be) on baseballtradevalues.com I’d like that bat in our lineup right now for sure, but immediately not sure he is an improvement from JD at DH other than RH?? Unless you’re moving Rafaela to 2b, or trading JD or Roman is out all year idk if this makes a ton of sense. IMO because of the OF heating up, getting Roman back soonish I think Red Sox look to improve w/ RH bat that plays 3b, SS, or 2b.
  17. MVP you ready to welcome Willy? I am!
  18. We also have only the 10th highest committed 2027 salary; Dodgers 422M (200m more than any other team) Mets 222M Yankees 216m BlueJays 218m Phillies 216m padres 184m braves 181m Giants 159m Astros 141m Red Sox 138m
  19. 12th highest salary: 1- La Dodgers: 398m 2- NY Mets: 368m 3- NY Yankees 308m 4- Tor BlueJays 289m 5- Phi Phillies 286m 6- Atl Braves 254m 7- Hou Astros 237m 8- Chi Cubs 232m 9- SD Padres 209m 10- Det Tigers 207m 11- SF Giants 201m 12- Bos Red Sox 196m
  20. Sure feels that way huh? The propaganda machine has been fired up by ownership. And for Epstein to publicly criticize Beta Breslow tells you he has some bold assurances.
  21. Agree but worth noting, per Baseball Trade Values Devers is NOW listed as the 2nd worst contract in MLB behind Manny Machado. Looks like a decent move. Bregman is pacing a 3+ WAR season in year 1 of a 5 yr 175m contract. Probably another savvy move.
  22. The last 3 series on the road have been more entertaining offensively. I’ve had fun watching them. (Twins series I can’t remember being more disgusted w/ Red Sox in my life.) Alas maybe Craig analytics mistake could be he needed to add splits for cold weather hitting. As the weather has warmed so have some bats? My concern is this: Contreras is pacing for a 6.1 WAR season, 4 aforementioned starting pitchers have played great and we are still 8 games under 500. can they keep it up? Will reinforcements be coming soon?
  23. Feels like the Red Sox ownership/ propaganda machine has turned on Breslow this weekend. A whole bunch of x comments on management style/ use of analytics/ communication ability. Me thinks I’ve seen this movie before.
  24. Yeah I think if you’re not all in NOW then think about trading Crochet, Suarez too. But I don’t believe in rebuilds anymore. I believe we are starting to improve offensively…. So you asked what I would do. This also includes trading away Durbin+ Narvaez+Chapman+ Gray and maybe Duran as well. So you’d replenish a couple of really good prospects to backfill whomever you lost in the Maikel Garcia trade. 2027 roster LF- R Anthony 3b- M Garcia 1b- W Contreras RF- W Abreu SS- W Adames CF- C Rafaela DH- M Yoshida or Duran (if not traded) C- Gaspar or trade candidate 2b- R Gonzalez/ Monasterio/ or trade candidate. SP1- Crochet SP2- Suarez SP3- Early SP4- Tolle SP5- Oviedo/ Bennett/ Witherspoon/ Crawford
×
×
  • Create New...