I think that’s my argument, admittedly I lean towards a “worry about the future in the future” type mentality. Where I think you try to put yourself in the shoes of the GM more. My stance is probably a course correction from hearing so much about these rising stars (campbell, Mayer, Casas, Anthony) who are all going to continue to ascend to greatness. I’m starting to question a lot of those players. Roman injuries are starting to worry me, especially the WAY he gets injured, both the back last year and the wrist this year. On just a routine swing of the baseball bat. Rafaela/Abreu have taken that step forward. Duran/Yoshida/ Story/ Durbin/ Mayer/ Narvaez have been far worse than I expected.
IDK here is my hot take: I don’t think you can expect a Red Sox to be able to systemically improve their offense via progression, ergo you have to look externally. If look externally at the free agent classes in the next two years. 1. The Quality of the sub 30 YO bats is just not great. 2. Quality bats in free agency tend to lead you to have to sign for longer or more money than you’re comfortable with.
I know Adames and Chapman would have some inherent risk, I think it creates an opportunity for us to improve offensively in the short term and over the next 2 to 3 years. Is there a risk absolutely….. does the tail end of those those contracts look good? I don’t know probably not.. I’m not even in love with either of those players. I just think you gotta make a move, and those are the type of players/ contracts you’re gonna have to get a little uncomfortable taking on. But look at the Nolan arenados, Xander Boegarts, Mike trouts. Good players can get you good results later in career if you’re willing to take that stab in the dark. I also acknowledge that many players continue a downward Trend.