Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

illinoisredsox

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    8,210
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by illinoisredsox

  1. Price was wrong, no doubt about it. But at this point, I think most of the fans have moved on. The wronged party, Eck, seems to have moved on. The only people keeping it going is the media itself. I assume CHB yaks about it; I refuse to read him so I don't know for sure. Steve Buckley at the Herald can't seem to write a Red Sox related column without mentioning it. Others raise it from time to time. But it's been that way for forever by the "knights of the keyboard". a.k.a. the "nattering nabobs of negativism".
  2. I don't know if he's a tough guy, but I do know he's an *******.
  3. Posted this on the Yankee thread yesterday, but I'll repeat it here for those who don't go there: Judge struck out more times in the 5 game ALDS (16) than Tony Gwynn did in the entire 1995 season (15) when Gwynn played in 135 games. I know the game has changed, but that boggles the mind. I'm not sure which one is more ridiculous.
  4. Just limiting it to winner take all games, the Sox have a ton more, even if you limit it to just the life of the Expos/Nationals: 1912 World Series (Win) 1946 World Series (Loss) 1948 AL Playoff (Loss) 1967 World Series (Loss) _______________________________ 1975 World Series (Loss) 1978 AL East Playoff (Loss) 1986 ALCS (Win) 1986 World Series (Loss) 1999 ALDS (Win) 2003 ALDS (Win) 2003 ALCS (Loss) 2004 ALCS (Win) 2007 ALCS (Win) 2008 ALCS (Loss) There may be others, these are off the top of my head.
  5. He's also a dope, schnook, dimwit, pinhead, ninny, boob, lunkhead, dullard and above all, with due credit to Archie Bunker, a meathead. Dead from the neck up. There, that got to 20 and never once was id__t mentioned.
  6. That should have been called. Lobaton's foot did come off the bag when he slid back. Believe me, I would love to see the Cubs lose, both to shut up the "fans" out here and because Maddon is their manager.
  7. He was out; you can't be stupid enough to even get close to being picked off there. Neither team deserves this one.
  8. How many ways can the Nats screw up? Their catchers have made at least 3 boneheaded mistakes tonight.
  9. You wouldn't say that if you had to live near there (I'm 160 miles west of there). I have no problem with the fans, but the "fans" are starting to come out of the woodwork.
  10. If it were strictly a reliever I would agree. But Scherzer isn't just any pitcher and the Cubs were not exactly smacking the ball all over the yard. An infield hit, a bloop, and the only hard hit ball of the inning for the double. After that, catcher Wieters really f'd that inning up. Not sure I've seen a catcher have a worse inning defensively; he managed the triple crown of a passed ball, a throwing error and catcher's interference (all within 2-3 pitches). He was never that bad with the Orioles.
  11. Ah, where does he say he was not an apologist? You may want to reread his post, paying close attention to the first sentence. I get that you don't like max, whatever. But you don't get to take that bias and warp what he actually said into your own narrative.
  12. 1. Terry Francona (no question) 2. Joe Morgan (2 divisions with not a lot of talent, who can forget "these guys aren't as good as they think they are" after he was let go) 3. Jimy Williams (went back and forth between him and JF, in the end, the 2 last place finishes knocked Farrell down) 4. John Farrell (1 title is a big plus) 5. John McNamara (2 mediocre seasons sandwiched around what should have been the year) 6. Kevin Kennedy (1 unexpected division title) 7. Grady Little (blew the 2003 pennant) 8. Butch Hobson (ranks above the other 2 only because of the talent he had, see Joe Morgans comment above) 9. Bobby Valentine (disaster with a very good team on paper) 10. Joe Kerrigan (the fact that he lasted about 40 games says a lot)
  13. Just my personal opinion and I could be completely off base, but I just see too many of the same type of player on this current team from a personality point of view. Who's the goofball who keeps everyone loose? The 04 team had Millar and players could laugh at Manny's antics because he produced on the field. Damon was a bit off the wall as well. The current group just seems like a bunch of quiet guys. Nothing wrong with having that personality, but you need both types on a roster.
  14. It's happened a couple times with Red Sox players given the number 25; Tony Conigliaro comes to mind.
  15. Mindboggling Stat of the Day: Aaron Judge struck out more times (16) in the ALDS than Tony Gwynn did in the entire 1995 season (15). (Gwynn played in 135 games that year and had 577 PAs)
  16. Let's not start that again. That whole seemingly endless shtick has already ruined several threads.
  17. I agree. Plus, there have been other instances of him going in with what could generously be termed "questionable" slides. I know he did it with one of the Yankee middle infielders this season and I'm sure there have been others. I'm a little surprised no one has gone into third with spikes a little high on him (another plus of sliding feet first). You would think as a former middle infielder he wouldn't do that kind of crap. Marvelous talent, but don't want him.
  18. DP set up by that horrific strike one call.
  19. Mourning sickness?
  20. Just tuned in. Was Kluber getting the same strike zone as CC? Or was he not hitting those spots so the ump never had a chance to give those too him?
  21. None of them. They all reek of Yankee stink.
  22. Mal, there's been plenty of responses to this suggestion. Personally, I think Ortiz would be a horrible choice as manager. Leaving aside the fact that he's never done anything remotely like it (i.e., no experience), he's still too close to much of the team. A year ago, he was Big Papi. One of them. They aren't going to see a manager, they are going to see Big Papi. Yes, there would be enthusiasm. But there is waaaay more to the job than being head cheerleader. As somebody said earlier, there is a reason companies go outside the immediate organization for managers. It's hard to be the boss when the day before you were one of the minions. Why would he subject himself to the fishbowl that is the Red Sox managers position? Selfishly, I don't think I ever want to see him as a manager. He is a legend in Boston. Eventually, virtually all managers do not go out on their own terms. The ones that do have managed a long time and almost always have been fired somewhere along the way. And he would be too.
  23. If there was some there there, one of the beat writers would have said something. Tomase, like Shaughnessy and Buckley from the Herald, probably hasn't set foot in the clubhouse in years. He has no clue what's going on in there. Buckley can't write a column without bringing up the Price-Eck incident in some manner. I said it shortly after it happened, Price is a dead man in Boston in the eyes of the press. Wrong as it was to do so, he attacked one of their own, and they will never forgive him for it. The media in general loves to apply rules to others that they never apply to themselves.
  24. Could have been, the memory fades. Unfortunately, there is still an element of us vs. them here; it's faded some, but one would think it would have died out after basically 2 seasons.
×
×
  • Create New...