Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

drewski6

Verified Member
  • Posts

    5,196
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by drewski6

  1. Maybe, but its not bullet point 1.
  2. Heres my answer: Dont care, dont care, dont care, dont care, dont care Now-a-days you cross-train and you have positional redundancy and versatility. You figure out how to get your 9 best bats in the lineup while having a defense thats "good enough" You do not pigeon hole every player into a position, and then prioritize optimal positional lineup, while seeking to have an offense that is just "good enough" Offense (50%) = pitching (40%) + defense (10%) That 10% can sink you, but you dont revolve your roster construction around maximizing it.
  3. His OPS+ last year was 104. I thought 100 was average. Plus hes a year older next year. I like Story, but I dont think hes a #2 hitter. If we get 2 bats, lets say suarez and alonso (playing in your sandbox), looking at: RA (he cant hit lower because he doesnt get enough loft with his current profile, and I know its blasphemy to say that but its how I feel) Alonso (we arent batting our best hitter fourth in 2026, its not 1996) Suarez Abreu See I think we can REALLLY use one more very good bat in the top half. ANd I dont believe that "just good enough" is a thing with offense. I think top 3 in MLB or bust. But this looks much better to me, and I agree we're getting close. Now give me this + keep Breggie, and pray to the injury Gods, and Im starting to really like it. And I would be cool w flipping Duran for Ryan in this case because I dont love the thought of RA hitting anything other than leadoff.
  4. People think that owners are looking for someone to tell them what they want to hear. And maybe, and if thats the case with us, we're f'd. But its usually not how it goes, and this team has been too successful pre-bloom for me to think thats how they operate. They are looking for someone to sell them on a vision, not get someone to buy into a vision of max budget efficiency.
  5. Oh I believe that some GMs are out there having fun trying to patch with finite resources. Its no fun if you can just sign away your troubles, and these GMs have egos. They wanna prove they can do it with less. Its fun for them to see it like a puzzle That being said, I agree neither of us can prove. But keep in mind Im not necessarily talking about turning down more money, im talking about being too easy of a sell, e.g. not asking for more money, not being a pain in the butt for more money. DD would be in there and be like do you want to win or dont you? And thats what brought us championships. Gotta sell the chief decision makers, man.
  6. Plenty of teams have a Jh Garcia and Campbell types. Other than that, you absolutely need to stop looking at players through the lens of their position. Duran is a leadoff hitter. Right now, you have 2 top of the order hitters in Duran and RA. ANd thats all you have thats a significant plus offensively. Abreu, sure but not as a top hitter in the lineup. As a #5/6 hitter, hes a plus. Story and Abreu are not #2/3 hitters. IF they are than Fed is right and we need to focus on 2032
  7. No duran you traded him for ryan in this hypothetical. And this team is not fine. Anthony smashes the ball into the ground Story is a league average hitter Abreu is not a 3 hole hitter WHy the heck is alonso hitting 4th? What are you 100? You traded Duran Noodlebat Casas freaking stinks Mayer hasnt proved he can hit at MLB, he hasnt proved he can hit at AAA Catcher
  8. My nickname for him was "low-impact", but I regret it now cuz I like him more these days.
  9. Lavarnway's fine!
  10. You can go to your bosses and demand more resources. ANd if you cant sell em on it, its on you. But BLoom was all too content to have funsies trying to rebuild slooooooow. Im a VP and if something goes terribly wrong, being understaffed wont save me. Cuz my CEO will say you should have been loud that you werent getting enough resources to succeed. And theyd be right.
  11. Based on what? Bloom was honest. Unlike Breslow. Bloom told us that we were moving in the right direction every year. I think he was very happy doing everything he did and thought everything was working out great. After he got sacked he promised us that he put a future in place that would eventually win championships. He would give himself A++. Not because of doing what he could with finite resources but because thats just who he was. He was just too patient. To a fault. He wanted to play the looooooooong game, but you gotta operate with more urgency than that and that was his flaw. For example, Bloom told us at a deadline that he did nothing because the team only had a 25% chance of making the playoffs so why would he trade prospects. That how he operated. You just wait until 2027, hed say in 2024 , already 4 years into a rebuild. He thought he had a longer leash than he did. He thought he had more time than he did.
  12. You would expect Cora to be able to diffuse, and maybe he did. But maybe Breslow's ego was dented and theres no coming back from that. We did see him fire someone for calling him a stiff. And he does seem quite pretentious to me.
  13. I agree. Bonds was also a bad teammate, as was Ted Williams, as was Michael Jordan. Draymond Green punches his teammates. So does ex carolina wr Steve smith. Manny was a bad teammate. If you think Devers should do everything in his power to make the team better, that should also apply to Breslow. And the team with Devers at DH was better than no Devers. We might even still be playing right now. Of course , it would have quieted down. It had mostly quieted down. Winning cures.
  14. "but with the hopes that Anthony an be a near .900 batter, we might be able to get by with just one real big addition (Alonso/Schwarber)" So who hits third? and fourth? and fifth? and sixth? You need more than 2 bats.
  15. It is my opinion that MLB is in a bad spot right now. Most of the free agents are going to 1 of 5 teams, and the gap between the haves and the have-nots is widening. And I blame the have-nots. They are just arent trying hard enough. The dodgers are juggernauts because the league let them. But at least they are trying. I dont blame them, I blame the other teams more excited about dumping contracts than anything else. And its the players too. When was the last time someone threw a damn punch. Everyone is just complacent. Theres no passion.
  16. Agreed. Certainly not trying to eat a large portion of the contract just to get like 8m in relief. At that point, you know hes going to clear waivers, so might as well just use him as a yo-yo.
  17. If you are trading Duran for pitching, Yoshida is more likely to bat clean up than he is to be optioned or traded
  18. In an ideal world, you start Campbell and Mayer in AAA for one reason. Because you can. But payrolls and balance are a thing, so finite resources may push one into a role. But your best depth is found by sending down your people unless they have proven they are already very good major leaguers.
  19. campbell at aaa is excellent depth. Im not looking to find him a spot on the MLB or to clear the money. I think you use your options and they are valuable. So you are not one injury away from starting DHam.
  20. I know its fashionable to take a shot at our owners, and theyve been cheap - but I dont fully trust the consensus that its ownership pulling the strings even if it feels obvious. Maybe mandate a trade of Betts and when Bloom first came in. But I think a lot of what youve seen in recent years is as much Bloom as it is ownership. And I think its Breslow learning on the job, which also includes gaining confidence and even gaining trust from owners (at the risk of contradicting myself). I think Bloom wanted to go through the farm cuz hes a tampa product and i think that breslow , well its hard for a first year guy to come in and make all these splashes. Breslow has told you himself that his offseasons and his deadlines, he wasnt able to pull off a lot of the stuff he tried. I dont think theres a hard stop at 45m.
  21. I honestly dont hate it, but I do agree with Hitchs reservations. I dont think the trade value is 0 (Duran, with Masa drag). May have to eat a bit of Masa contract, but I think you can get to the point where hes dragging him down from say 50s BTV units to high 30s.
  22. short selling Adrian Gonzalez, allowing Boston to clear out a lot of room in 2012. When you looked at 2013, can argue it worked out
×
×
  • Create New...