Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

moonslav59

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    103,987
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    129

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by moonslav59

  1. He has been far from "excellent" on defense. He should have caught that ball vs Houston, yesterday, for one example. I'm fine with Chavis as our FT 2Bman, but let's not kid ourselves.
  2. Well said. I enjoyed watching Buckner play. The man could hit, even after the knee issues. He was a top defender, too, when healthy. The only sullied person was McNamara, who did not replace Buckner with Stapleton, as he did often during the season- for defensive purposes. McNamara still defends the decision... "The case is that Buckner was the best first baseman I had," said McNamara. "And Dave Stapleton has taken enough shots at me since [then] that he didn't get in that ball game, but Dave Stapleton's nickname was 'Shakey.' And you know what that implies. I didn't want him playing first base to end that game, and it was not any sentimental thing that I had for Billy Buck to leave him out there. He was the best first baseman I had."
  3. With the Pedey decision now gone for 2019 (or at least 60 days), and Holt now on the 25, the only roster issues are with the pitching staff. On IL: Eovaldi Johnson Thornburg (Brewer & Maddox) Possibly Worthy of a Call-Up at Some Point: Poyner DHernandez Shawaryn J Mejia J Taylor J Smith E Ramirez Candidates for demotion (have options) Lakins Weber (not if he keeps doing well) Velazquez Out of options (DFA/Trade): Thornburg & Johnson
  4. They did. Koji's numbers were second to none, for what that's worth.
  5. The Red Sox shifted injured second baseman Dustin Pedroia to the 60-day injured list on Monday after he suffered yet another setback in his problematic left knee. Pedroia met with reporters afterward to discuss his future, revealing he’s unsure if he’ll be able to resume his career. “I’m at a point right now where I need some time. That’s what my status is,” Pedroia told Rob Bradford of WEEI and other media. Asked if he’ll play again, Pedroia said, “I’m not sure.” One thing is clear, according to Pedroia: Another surgical procedure is off the table. The 35-year-old has gone under the knife twice dating back to October 2016, but neither knee surgery has helped him stay on the field. Pedroia missed all but three regular-season games during Boston’s World Series-winning campaign in 2018 and has only appeared in six this year. With it looking as if Pedroia won’t play again in 2019, he’s set to take an “indefinite break” from rehabbing his knee, which he doesn’t believe will ever heal (via Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com). “Time will go on and I’ll know more about it,” Pedroia said. “I haven’t sat down and thought about retirement. I just now that right now I need a break from the everyday stresses and dealing what I’m dealing with.” If we have seen the last of Pedroia on the diamond, it’ll mark the end of a borderline Hall of Fame career. A second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2004, the diminutive Pedroia burst on the scene in 2007, his first full season, en route to AL Rookie of the Year honors. All he has done since then is win an AL MVP (2008), earn four All-Star berths and help the Red Sox to two World Series championships, among other accomplishments. To this point, Pedroia’s a .299/.365/.439 hitter (115 wRC+) with 140 home runs, 138 stolen bases and 51.7 rWAR/46.7 fWAR. Thanks to the brilliance Pedroia displayed over his first several seasons, the Red Sox signed him to an eight-year, $110MM extension in July 2013. Including this season’s $15MM salary, he’s still owed $40MM on that deal through 2021. Now, six years after Pedroia inked the first-ever nine-figure pact for a second baseman, his playing career may be over.
  6. True. Now, we go with 12 pitchers. Pedey is done for the year... The Red Sox shifted injured second baseman Dustin Pedroia to the 60-day injured list on Monday after he suffered yet another setback in his problematic left knee. Pedroia met with reporters afterward to discuss his future, revealing he’s unsure if he’ll be able to resume his career. “I’m at a point right now where I need some time. That’s what my status is,” Pedroia told Rob Bradford of WEEI and other media. Asked if he’ll play again, Pedroia said, “I’m not sure.” One thing is clear, according to Pedroia: Another surgical procedure is off the table. The 35-year-old has gone under the knife twice dating back to October 2016, but neither knee surgery has helped him stay on the field. Pedroia missed all but three regular-season games during Boston’s World Series-winning campaign in 2018 and has only appeared in six this year. With it looking as if Pedroia won’t play again in 2019, he’s set to take an “indefinite break” from rehabbing his knee, which he doesn’t believe will ever heal (via Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com). “Time will go on and I’ll know more about it,” Pedroia said. “I haven’t sat down and thought about retirement. I just now that right now I need a break from the everyday stresses and dealing what I’m dealing with.” If we have seen the last of Pedroia on the diamond, it’ll mark the end of a borderline Hall of Fame career. A second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2004, the diminutive Pedroia burst on the scene in 2007, his first full season, en route to AL Rookie of the Year honors. All he has done since then is win an AL MVP (2008), earn four All-Star berths and help the Red Sox to two World Series championships, among other accomplishments. To this point, Pedroia’s a .299/.365/.439 hitter (115 wRC+) with 140 home runs, 138 stolen bases and 51.7 rWAR/46.7 fWAR. Thanks to the brilliance Pedroia displayed over his first several seasons, the Red Sox signed him to an eight-year, $110MM extension in July 2013. Including this season’s $15MM salary, he’s still owed $40MM on that deal through 2021. Now, six years after Pedroia inked the first-ever nine-figure pact for a second baseman, his playing career may be over.
  7. MLBTR Reports... The Red Sox shifted injured second baseman Dustin Pedroia to the 60-day injured list on Monday after he suffered yet another setback in his problematic left knee. Pedroia met with reporters afterward to discuss his future, revealing he’s unsure if he’ll be able to resume his career. “I’m at a point right now where I need some time. That’s what my status is,” Pedroia told Rob Bradford of WEEI and other media. Asked if he’ll play again, Pedroia said, “I’m not sure.” One thing is clear, according to Pedroia: Another surgical procedure is off the table. The 35-year-old has gone under the knife twice dating back to October 2016, but neither knee surgery has helped him stay on the field. Pedroia missed all but three regular-season games during Boston’s World Series-winning campaign in 2018 and has only appeared in six this year. With it looking as if Pedroia won’t play again in 2019, he’s set to take an “indefinite break” from rehabbing his knee, which he doesn’t believe will ever heal (via Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com). “Time will go on and I’ll know more about it,” Pedroia said. “I haven’t sat down and thought about retirement. I just now that right now I need a break from the everyday stresses and dealing what I’m dealing with.” If we have seen the last of Pedroia on the diamond, it’ll mark the end of a borderline Hall of Fame career. A second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2004, the diminutive Pedroia burst on the scene in 2007, his first full season, en route to AL Rookie of the Year honors. All he has done since then is win an AL MVP (2008), earn four All-Star berths and help the Red Sox to two World Series championships, among other accomplishments. To this point, Pedroia’s a .299/.365/.439 hitter (115 wRC+) with 140 home runs, 138 stolen bases and 51.7 rWAR/46.7 fWAR. Thanks to the brilliance Pedroia displayed over his first several seasons, the Red Sox signed him to an eight-year, $110MM extension in July 2013. Including this season’s $15MM salary, he’s still owed $40MM on that deal through 2021. Now, six years after Pedroia inked the first-ever nine-figure pact for a second baseman, his playing career may be over.
  8. Ellsbury is dumber than a door nail.
  9. I'm done with Thornburg, but it would be nice to see him prove me wrong. I can understand keeping all your options on the table for as long as possible, but I have no hope for him.
  10. Nobody is suggesting anything that absurd.
  11. I get the fact that there would be a "problem" and the league would look at any type of "wink-wink" deal very closely. Maybe the best any of us can hope for is that Pedey decides to retire, and the Sox (wink-wink or otherwise) compensate him by paying him a little more than the norm to be a consultant or coach for longer than one might expect, even if it is just a never-ending one year contract that pays him part of what he gave up by retiring. I've never claimed my idea will surely work. First, Pedey has to be on board. Second, it must not look so obvious to the league that they are circumventing the rules. That could be a difficult or impossible task. I could see Pedey trying to do something to help the team's budget issues, but I don't expect him to give up everything like Dempster did.
  12. What if they signed him to $30M for a 20-30 year consultant's contract?
  13. Weird how they decide to demote Brewer after his best game with the Sox. (I'm fine with the move.)
  14. We outscored them in the series. Just got back from the game. Devers had a nice homer to CF. ERod got the job done, even though it looked like he wasn't at his best. The play Nunez made to home sucked. It looked like he took his time and then threw poorly. Also, has Vaz ever held onto a throw to the plate this year? I'm sure he has, but all I remember are his drops. (Nice pick off at 1B, later.) Pearce hit the ball hard a few times but only had one hit. Niced to see Barnes bounce back. Good win.
  15. I have no issue with Pedey collecting every penny still owed to him and admire his will to return. I also don't expect any production from him. As long as he is not wasting a roster slot from someone more deserving, I don't think there's an issue. I do think we should try to get him to restructure his deal, and if it doesn't work or gets shot down by the league, so be it.
  16. About to leave for today's game. Gotta get the mojo rising.
  17. Admitting it is the first step to recovery. (Sarcasm alert)
  18. Certainly, if Weber keep pitching well, he stays, but I do think that when Johnson gets healthy, he'll be back on the 25 man roster, somehow. Besides, he's out of option. (Hint: Velazquez is not.) We will not DFA Pedey. He may retire. He may spend 95% of the season on the IL or in rehab. It may come down to having to lose Pearce, Nunez or Holt.
  19. ...laugh loudly...then hang up on him!
  20. True, but we lost Price and had JD on the bench.
  21. Just got back from the game. What a bummer. My mojo has been a no-go. We had our chances. The Devers HR hits a rafter. Chavis looked lost at 2B. Man on 3rd with no outs in the ninth with no run. And more. Barnes looked awful. I'm going again tomorrow. Gonna wear my Papi jersey to break the spell.
  22. I agree on all of this. If Holy is ready before Pedey, I think we'll go with 12 pitchers for a while by demoting Lakins or Brewer or trading/DFA'ing Thornburg. The next choice will be tougher: Pedey (Nunez, Peacre or Holt NOT Chavis) Eovaldi (Lakins, Brewer, Thornburg) Johnson (Lakins, Brewer, Thornburg, Weber)
  23. If he does something with the bat to end up over .725, he may make more than $10M. If he ends up near .650, he may make less than $10M. I'm not sure either scenario will be appealing to DD this winter.
×
×
  • Create New...