Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. You've said that before about Sale and are now saying that might explain Price last year. To be honest, even though I have disagreed vehemently, that is a possibility. But I also think that Sale has relied on the fast ball too long and too much because it is in fact pretty darn good. The problem is almost any fastball is hittable if the batter can be sure one is coming. In my opinion he has never had a sharp breaking ball, one that was hard to hit solidly. This year Sale had a great July (ERA under 2) with 5 starts and a so-so August (ERA over 4) with 6 starts. Maybe a shorter August would have helped. His shortest month was September.\ In Farrell's defense, I will also say that in both years the Sox won the AL East but not by that much and August and September were both nail biters. Indeed, there is still a lingering feeling by some on talksox that last year Farrell rested his guys too much in September and didn't try hard enough to keep the home field advantage against the Guardians. This year we didn't clinch until the penultimate game.
  2. Starters, plural? You maen Pom, Porcello, Fister, and ERod all bombed because they were exhausted? Are you saying Farrell should have used the bullpen even more than he has? As for Sale, he pitched a short September, had nine days rest before his last start, and gave up 2 dingers in the first inning. Hard for me to see those two early home runs the sign of anything other than he couldn't hit his spots. Heck, right now that's the big difference between Price and Sale--Price is hitting his spots and keeping the ball low and not serving up meatballs. Right now, Sale still has a faster fastball than Price and a pretty good changeup, but his slider over time has become more hittable.
  3. What good? Two days ago Reed gave up 2 earned runs to this same team. Overall, he has been very good and should be our 8th inning guy, but they did get to him last time.
  4. Actually, if you will check, there were plenty here who didn't want him to go 4 because of his pitch count. You know, the old "Farrell is clueless routine," forgetting, of course, that it was Farrell who convinced Price he could contribute a lot from the bullpen.
  5. I never said he was the best manager. Far from it. But I do think he is good with the pitching staff which this year has been nothing if not inconsistent. He was the guy, in case you have forgotten, who persuaded Price he could be effective in the bullpen.
  6. Great stint by Price. Very gutsy as well as very good. Good call by Farrell. Now let's see if Reed and Kimbrel can do their jobs. I would be nice if Sale took note of how and why Price was so effective today.
  7. The only obvious thing is that you love to second guess a manager who knows a whole lot more about this pitching staff than you do.
  8. Whoops. Price just go another out. In case the ignorant among us are just total oblivious, let me say that Price has by far been the Sox best pitcher against this Astros.
  9. I don't need to know because it very clearly was the right call. But I will tell you this: our bullpen overall has not fared well against the Astros.
  10. Bogaerts has been awful so far in the postseason.
  11. I thought Farrell made the right move and I sure as heck he thinks more about this pitching staff than you could ever hope to.
  12. How could Farrell be so dumb not to have the whole damn bullpen warming up because one fan thinks he is unprepared to manage?
  13. Are you serious? You really think he isn't prepared or, better still, that you know more about how to use this bullpen than he does? Lotsa luck with that, chum.
  14. Peacock vs. Fister, both righties. Time to win one. Astros have outpitched and outhit the Sox to a fare thee well in October. In the lineup I see Devers at 3b, Vazquez catching, Moreland at 1b, Pedey at 2b, the regular outfield (all B's), and HanRam at DH. However, maybe a shakeup in the top 3--or not. Assuming the Sox win today--Farrell's choice tomorrow is Porcello or ERod because there is no compelling reason to bring Sale back on short rest. When he is on, Fister can hit corners, mix up his pitches, keep the ball low, etc. In his last start, Sep 29, Fister went 5.1 against the Astros, giving up 3. Price, Reed, and Kimbrel pitched the last 3.2 innings scoreless.
  15. We could be surprised and find him to be effective,which he can be when he has command of his pitches. I believe I was the only one who said I thought Fister would be a starter in the postseason, especially after his last postseason start. I based that on just one thing. To me Fister is a pitcher first and a thrower second, but not so Sale, Pom, ERod, or Porcello. To me the best definition of a pitcher is someone who has command of his pitches and is particularly good at using breaking balls--including cut fastballs--and working the lower part of the plate.
  16. Guardians tie it, 2-2, in the bottom of the 1st with a reached on an error, a walk, an HBP, and a single. As Mel Allen used to say, how about that, sports fans.
  17. I was one who did not see it. Last year we had exactly the same W-L--93-69--with the big bopper as we had this year without him. The additions of Sale and Pom certainly helped with the rotation, especially with the collapse of Porcello and the DL time by Price. Right now I'm not so sure one big bopper will turn things around in 2018, especially with respect to the postseason. This is two years in a row when the rotation has deserted us in the first two games. Last year it was Price and Porcello, this year Sale and Pomeranz. And look at that Astros lineup--it's not just one guy, it's a bunch of them. 8 dingers in two games vs. our 0 dingers in two games. If Ortiz were back and hitting as well as ever, I doubt that he could hit 8 dingers in 2 games. I have been a Farrell supporter for most of the season and for most game situations, but I have always said that the manager is accountable for wins and losses. In this case, the regular season is definitely in his favor. But the postseason is completely against him this year and last year even though I think the complaints about who is in the lineup are puerile whining. Thus you will not see me complaining if DD makes a change, which is a heckuva lot easier than changing the entire lineup and pitching staff.
  18. Love the knuckle curve, but not up in the zone and not two straight up in the zone. Either Vazquez is calling a bad game or Pom can't control where his pitches go.
  19. Funny how so many networks, including MLB.TV, have a piece of the postseason pie.
  20. Hmm. Keuchel seems to have the HP ump's favor so far in this game. That last strike wasn't that close to the strike zone.
  21. Don't know about Marrero against lefties in September, but do know his OPS in September was 100 points higher than Devers's. One thing I will say about Devers is that to me he seems to have a good eye for breaking balls but lately not so good against fast balls. So it is possible he would have fared well today.
  22. Keuchel still getting away with a lot of cut fastballs that are producing K's.
  23. His fielding is a season long phenomenon. In the playoffs one day samples mean more than they do in the regular season. Marrero just K'd however.
  24. I don't think so, so Vazquez gets partial credit.
  25. Not lately, not in September.
×
×
  • Create New...