Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Well, not quite. But I think it's OK to say that he didn't help much today. I just get mad when the bullpen, aided by a passive manager, destroyed a very good start by Chris Sale in the first game of the year. The Rays scored 6 runs on six hits, none of them dingers.
  2. Cora was an infielder, has no experience deciding whether to pull a pitcher, and literally owns this bullpen because he decided who to keep and in what order to use them. It's still mostly on Kelly, but Cora cannot escape some responsibility.
  3. Is it too soon to say Cora doesn't know how to manage his bullpen?
  4. Wow. Lineup gives Sale a 4 run leave, and the bullpen gives it all back plus one. Those ain't bulls out there in the pen. More like soft little kitties.
  5. Is that two passed balls by Vazquez? When does someone tell him his job is to block those low pitches, not wave at them?
  6. Comedy of errors this inning. Kelly can't throw strikes. Vazquez tries to pick a guy of 2b--just dumb. And Cora leaves Kelly in to load the bases with the score 4-1 and 1 out.
  7. Vazquez just looked worse--passed ball which he made almost not attempt to stop or catch--with 2 men on. How many pb's did he have last year?
  8. I'm fine with your lineup, but would note it's not radically different from Cora's. Also, against righty Archer you start with three righty bats. Of course, your lineup and Cora's have just three lefty bats, so what the heck.
  9. Apparently, this was a firm decision by Cora. Not a permanent one, of course. HanRam loves it and wants to deliver. Meanwhile the younger guys are wrapped around HanRam and JD batting 1st, 2d, 5th, and 6th. I think it could work. I like JBJ 9th too.
  10. That's what I would have guessed. Last year Devers did better in the lower half of the lineup. Even with him batting 6th, the bottom 1/3 looks pretty decent to me.
  11. Yup. 10 Cora-related things that sound pretty good. I especially like the one about being more aggressive at bat because last year I thought we were giving away a lot of easy first strikes.
  12. Actually, velocity by itself is over rated. Over 5 years ago Verlander threw 100 mph to rookie Daniel Nava, who went opposite field with a clean, sharp single. Kimbrel gets in trouble when his curve/slider isn't tempting the hitters, but is devastating when he mixes it with his fastball. That said, I'm also a big believer that good location on whatever pitch is very important.
  13. Like that scene in fever pitch when the season tickets are delivered and they open them up and say, "this smells like the year."
  14. Thanks, moonslav.
  15. Of mild interest: espn just polled their "experts" and picked these six teams to win the six divisions: Yankees, Guardians, Astros, Nationals, Cubs, Dodgers. Of the six, only the AL East is expected in any way to be contested (by the Sox of course). They basically say the other five divisions are already sewed up before the season starts. The Sox are easily the top pick for the AL Wild Card. Cora was asked how he thinks the Sox will be this year and answered they already had the best ST record in MLB. Of 30 MLB teams, the Sox in ST were ranked 2d in ERA and 12th in runs scored. Also 29th in stolen bases with 14 (vs. 11 CS). Most doubles, however, with 82.
  16. I agree that the health of both the rotation and lineup are important, but I thought our biggest problem last year was no Ortiz. And even there we still won the same number of games, 93, as in Ortiz's last year. I do like the hitting this year. Also the rotation even though 3 are currently on the DL. I could be wrong, but I think only three hitters--Betts, Martinez, and Devers--need to stay healthy. Beni might be a 4th. As for the rotation, just two--Sale and Price.
  17. This would comport with the other Cora-ism that he likes to use his bench. JBJ practically invented the slump.
  18. King George used that dadgum stamp tax to pay for the semi-worthless British Army in the American colonies. Cheap bastard.
  19. Ah, but it turns out disciplinarian didn't work for the Sox, so in comes Francona's pitching coach, Farrell. And Francona has gone on to real success with the Guardians. I thought Girardi was pretty good, but what do I know? Maybe Boone is the right guy now. I do believe that most managers are hired to be fired. That is, they are more expendable than players.
  20. Pete Abraham is a very handy contributor to talksox--thru people like you.
  21. He's got my vote.
  22. That's what I saw too. Sox turned four DP's yesterday, which helped. I'm not sure how many were in the first five innings but am sure at least 2 were.
  23. I thought so too but he went 5 giving up 2.
  24. Devers hurt knee in hard slide into catcher. Reportedly day to day after being taken out of game.
×
×
  • Create New...