Nothing irrational about my displeasure with JBJ these days. On that other website someone started a thread that compared JBJ to Ellsbury (I think) every single day to show that it actually turned out to be a very smart move to let Ellsbury (a Sox fan favorite when he was healthy) go to the Yankees. I was supportive of that thread and reveled in JBJ's day to day successes.
And, like anyone with any sense, I was hugely supportive of JBJ in by far his best season of 2016 when he hit well and fielded very well. Finally, finally, it seemed, he was over the humoungous "good field, no hit" hump.
But over time that hump keeps reappearing, so much so that the manager has to keep dropping him down in the lineup. At the same time, and especially this year, it seems to me that JBJ isn't working as many fielding miracles as he did earlier.
So, me, I'm just getting a little tired of all JBJ's supporters assuring me everything is fine with our superstar centerfielder who, for example, was the key to taking three at Tampa this very month.
Offense vs. defense. I love great defense because it is the poetry of baseball, far more so than dingers.
On the other hand, I also believe that the key to great defense is that guy on the mound, not the 8 other guys on the field with him. This is especially true when you realize that most MLB players are decent on defense.
To me what makes baseball so unique is that its central act is the confrontation between pitcher and batter, and that is basically where owners and GM's invest--hit hitting and pitching.