Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. 1 and 2 hitters now 0/10 with 6 K’s
  2. Mookie and Beni are for 8 with 5 k’s. Sox are lucky to have 3 runs.
  3. No JBJ. Hmmmmmmm. When you get benched and the entire Sox bench, none of whom are hitting much, get to play, there is a message.
  4. Chavis for Bumgarner would be great for the Giants, idiocy by DD. Chavis has a better future, is under team control for a long time and therefore costs way less, and is less likely to get a serious injury. Oh, and he so far has been just what the doctor ordered for the Sox offense. Bumgarner will be just another arm who may or may not be able to handle lineups that include DH's instead of pitchers. In 2013 that other GM gave up Iglesias to get Peavy, but already had two SS's, one of whom is now a mainstay on the Sox. The Sox currently have no backup for Chavis at 2B, and please don't tell me Nunez is--or Holt for that matter.
  5. Could be right about Lynn. As for Bill Russell, I agree he was the greatest NBA title winner ever. He arrived in late 1956 after playing in the Melbourne Olympics and when the Celtics had Sharman and Cousy at the guards. Cousy had I believe been voted something like the best player of the first half of the 20th century, but couldn't win a title until Russell came along. When Cousy retired, he said he would not be missed as long as Russell stayed, and he was right. KC Jones stepped right in--not as good as Cousy, but good enough. And Sam Jones replaced Sharman--and so on. Russell was a great rebounder and defender and pretty effective on offense, but never as the primary scorer. Plus he was smart and very determined--and, for all we know, playing in front of racist fans (Russell says that) may have spurred him on. I could be wrong, but I believe that the Celtics never sold out the Garden during all those seasons Russell played. Not so the Bruins. Not so the Sox.
  6. I defer to no one on complaining about JBJ, who I don't think is the best Sox CF ever or the best CF in the AL or MLB today. Plus his hitting is just miserable. All that said, right now he's not a bad fit as the Sox starting CF because the three subs are Leon, Pearce, and Nunez, none of whom are hitting well. Plus JBJ in CF solidifies a pretty solid defensive outfield and lets JDM be the DH. Most times, Cora can go with 8 other guys over .800 OPS (Beni, Betts, JDM, Moreland, Bogie, Devers, Chavis, and Vazquez) in the lineup plus JBJ with his miserable .450 OPS. When Holt gets back, maybe it's a different story, but right now I'm fine with JBJ in CF despite by attacking him continually on this very thread.
  7. Speaking of which, what are the odds that Price is the starter tomorrow? His IL stint is past 10 days, and reportedly he has been throwing well. He's a little rusty, but apparently not enough to require a rehab start.
  8. I'm being facetious, of course. I don't think the defense is all that bad--average at worst, in fact. Thus I am fine when Chavis plays 2b to get his bat in the lineup and when Cora puts JDM in RF or LF in order to take JBJ out. Someone, Kimmi, I think, pointed out that Devers range is actually pretty decent--despite the errors. And right now I'm even fine with JBJ playing, bad as his hitting is, because usually there are still 8 pretty good bats in there--Beni, Betts, JDM, Moreland, Bogie, Devers, Chavis, and Vazquez. I believe strongly that hitting and pitching win games--defense only sometimes/
  9. While I do appreciate all the insights into specific players, I think arguing about, say JBJ or Chavis or Pearce or whoever, can lose sight of the bigger picture, which is-- The Sox hitting is vastly improved--now ranked 4th in runs scored and rbi's, 10th in OPS, 4th in OBP, and 13th in dingers. Pitching is also improving, now 18th--up from 29th--in ERA, despite the near term absence of Price and Eovaldi and the season long absence of Kimbrel and Kelly. The Sox, after a 6-13 start, are now 3 games over .500 and have won 5 in a row. I think that last factoid is important because I keep reading on talksox about how really terrible the Sox defense is. Chavis can't play 2b, Devers is an error machine at 3b, JDM is still sometimes allowed to butcher every play in RF or LF, the great JBJ is being benched now and then and is badly, badly, badly missed, etc. Thus the Sox have 26 errors in 41 games--awful!!!!. And, of course, we all know that defense, not hitting or pitching-- is how you win games.
  10. Right now Chavis is a better defensive 2d baseman than Nunez, who cannot go back for popups with any degree of confidence. So far, I don't think his range is a plus and do agree his GIDP throws to 1b need work, but he is usable at 2b and his bat has helped a ton. Chavis at 1b allows Devers to stay at 3b and Moreland/Pearce at 1b. You could be right about Chavis cooling off, but right now he is huge. And there ain't no cavalry this year. Certainly not Nunez or Pedey. Maybe Holt with the lefty bat, but he doesn't normally play every day.
  11. 5 in a row, first time since last year. Seattle to date has scored the most runs in the MLB, but were vastly outscored in this series, 34-8. And Velazquez had a very nice 5 inning win--surprise, surprise. Gotta like those trends.
  12. Moreland is 6th on the Sox in hits, but 1st in dingers, 12 (Bogie and Betts each have 7) and rbi's, 29 (Bogie has 26), with an OPS of .908 (Betts is .907 and Chavis .956). I think one big reason why JBJ is still starting--other than his defense--is that, when Chavis and Moreland are both in the lineup, the Sox have 7 guys over .800 OPS (Bogie's is the lowest at .806) and Vazquez with a very respectable .788 OPS. I have beaten JBJ like a drum all season long, but right now he's actually a pretty good fit in CF despite his .436 OPS. This keeps Mookie in RF, Beni in LF, and JDM as DH. Also, with Pedey having another false start for rehabbing his knee, it looks like Chavis will stay at 2B. Last night was Chavis's 5th straight hitless game, but I'm not yet worried about him. If today is indeed another postponement, Price should be available to start against Colorado or Houston. These Sox are not only hitting a ton and winning, they are getting their rotation back. Eovaldi could be back in 3 weeks.
  13. NOAA map/graphics show rain from Boston back to Ohio and the Mariners can't stick around because they play Oakland at Seattle tomorrow. That's heartbreaking enough, but a postponement today also takes away another start by the indomitable Velazquez, he of the 57 pitch start. The two day break, if it happens, should put Price back in the rotation, probably right after Sale on Tuesday and against the Rockies. Or Cora could start ERod on Wed and Price vs. the Astros on Friday.
  14. George Scott played Patton.
  15. Agree. ERod and Porcello both rely on heat in the 1st. Plus Porcello couldn’t throw a low pitch if you held a gun to his head.
  16. That missed pop up is on Leon for not sayin he had it.
  17. Chavis might be slumping. JBJ is beyond slumping. Dreadful, dreadful bottom of the order when Leon triumphantly pops out.
  18. Note the contrast with Felix, who is using any array of breaking balls—effectively. And keeping the ball low. Porcello,p is not effective when he keeps the ball up and Leon should know that.
  19. Also very few pitches low in the zone. That change for a single was mid zone on the outside edge. I don’t think I’m being unfair to go after Leon because on another thread he was trumpeted as sort of a savior for the staff because he makes good pitchers great, ok pitchers good, etc We have seen Porcello pitch well this year more than once, so just maybe Leon ain’t quite so great as claimed.
  20. Yes, but also rotten pitch calling by the great sandy Leon. Porcello has thrown almost all fast balls and cut fast balls. No changeups or curves. Very few sliders.
  21. Why do you insist on comparing the worst to the best? To me it makes a whole lot more sense to compare the best to the middle of the pack guys, who have some range, but not great range. And in that case I would argue that some middle of the road guys do pretty well, maybe because, lacking great range, they get to be pretty consistent. You know, a guy like Bogie. Speaking of which, did you know that the master shortstop Iglesias has started 32 games to Bogie's 36 games and has 106 TC's to Bogie's 133? But Iglesias has a DWAR of .9 and to Bogie's .3 (at least it's positive). Anyway, I would further argue that the number of total chances depends on other factors than the range of the SS.
  22. This is not an irrational thought. I personally think any competent infielder should be able to play the OF, but we've already seen at least one humoungous failure. I don't think that would happen to Chavis, but it could. JDM can play LF in the tradition of other so-so fielding leftfielders for the Sox like #9.
  23. I think the tendency for all new leftfielders at Fenway is to treat the wall as the edge of the earth or an electric fence of something. Without exception, none of them will go near it. If it's necessary to give Pedey another shot, I agree LF is the spot for Chavis and CF for Beni.
  24. So far this has been the Sox best lineup. It's almost the same one as opening day in Seattle, but with Chavis in for Nunez at 2B and of course ERod starting instead of Sale.
×
×
  • Create New...