Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Given how well that changeup is working, I think we are seeing a righty pitcher, Whitlock, preferring to pitch against lefty batters. A lefty batter hit the dinger of course, but it was off that stupid sweeper Whitlock has abandoned.
  2. Agree. But Cora lost that first challenge--primarily because Tapia insisted he was hit--and doesn't want to waste his remaining challenge on a single in the 3d inning. I agree with Cora.
  3. McGuire catching. I hadn't noticed until he trotted down to 1b on the grounder. Right now I'd say no blame should attached to his catching Whitlock. In fact, given that Whitlock is relying on just two pitches, give both of them some credit.
  4. After 2 innings, Whitlock has thrown 41 pitches and Davies 45.
  5. The so-called "sweeper" is now a waste pitch for Whitlock. He's relying on his fastball and changeup for outs. That changeup has some bite to it.
  6. No question Duran did just that.
  7. One other possibility on the double steal: Yoshida mistook the sign because it came to him via translation.
  8. It had to come from the dugout.
  9. That so-called "sweeper" by Whitlock looks like a barely breaking curve ball. Thus the new name to mask the fact that it's very hittable. Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant--which means another hit off Whitlock, this time off the changeup, low in the zone too. In the first inning Whitlock looks very hittable.
  10. Radio guys say he wants to play but Cora wants one more day to get well. How many times have the Sox tried that double steal--to 2d and then to home--and had it fail? Has it worked this year?
  11. I used the same exact numbers, 478 and 162, on a calculator--and got 7.7. Obviously, I was wrong.
  12. I love this. And I agree the Sox think Whitlock can start. So what do I know? As moonslav says, Whitlock could start and go 3-4 innings.
  13. I've watched Whitlock many times, but not Davies. Like you, I'm very impressed with Whitlock's repertoire, but I'm not impressed with how he starts--vice relieves. His first season, all as a reliever, was/is by far his best: 1.96 ERA, 46 games, 73.1 IP, 81 K's, 17 BB's. His second year, a mixture of 9 starts and 22 relief appearances: 3.45 ERA, 31 games, 78.1 IP, 82 K's, 15 BB's. This year, three starts, no relief appearances: 6.19 ERA, 3 games, 16 IP, 11 K's, 3 BB's.
  14. Thank goodness you said "Pivetta" about 2 or 3 posts up. I think the Sox should hang onto him for awhile. He's definitely a starter (vs. reliever), but this year not a viable starter. We've already seen him demonstrate his current niche. Against the Padres he went 2.1 innings in a 7-0 loss and against the Angels 3 innings in a 7-3 loss. He's an "innings-eater" in games Cora expects to lose.
  15. Last year the Sox averaged 8.5 K's per game. This year it's 7.8. BB's last year were 7.7 per game. This year 3.2
  16. Thanks, I did not know Cora said that. Also agree on "if and when." Waiting for Story is like waiting for Godot.
  17. "not met their ceiling" is almost meaningless. I respect your posts and knowledge, but not your grasp of baseball metaphors.
  18. I'm not a big Casas fan, mostly because of his mannerisms and his weight. But I completely agree the Sox are supportive of him and should be.
  19. "Supposed to be better" than Davies? Davies faced a pretty good Dodgers offense twice in April and gave up 1 run in 5 innings and I think 5 runs in 4.1 innings. He, like Whitlock, is coming off the IL. Whitlock started 3 games in April--5 IP and 5 runs vs the Rays; 7 IP and 1 run vs the Angels; and 4 innings and 5 runs vs the Brewers. So who knows which one is better? Last night's offense--sans Devers and sans Duran--worked brilliantly to counter the slump the Sox were in. Kudos to Cora even though Pfaadt pitches like his name sounds. Could not agree more about which lineup tonight and how they will do.
  20. .864!!!???? I had no idea.
  21. If you were behind Casas all the time, you were stark, raving lucky. Actually, I think Cora and Bloom probably agreed with you.
  22. Typical of you to focus on one little tree and ignore the forest. Yes, the Sox lineup--without Duran and Devers--beat up a weak starter, Pfaadt. Yes, the Sox have been in a hitting slump on this west coast trip. But, even with the slump, the Sox are 4th in MLB in runs scored and 6th in team OPS. That's with Duvall playing just 8 games and Story none. Instead, and with the notable exception of Devers, the Sox are going with a "no name" offense that has delivered more often than not. There are absolutely zero "giddy" talksoxers right now. Nevertheless--and I know this will disappoint you--the Sox are 3 games above .500 and definitely in the wild card hunt. The rotation--now Sale, Paxton, Bello, Houck, and Whitlock--looks almost decent, and the bullpen is definitely decent. The defense ain't so hot. But Duvall is on rehab assignment--as is Chang--and Story should be back by the end of this decade if not sooner ("July").
  23. Tonight's game is at 7:15 pm, not the insane 9:38 pm last night--in the Mountain Time Zone, yet. Whitlock vs. Davies is a toss-up, with no pitching advantage for the Sox. 7 runs last night--without Devers or Duran--was a welcome surprise. Refsnyder, Tapia, and Verdugo weren't half bad in the outfield. Ditto Turner at 3B and Casas at 1B. We'll just have to see what lineup Cora goes with tonight.
×
×
  • Create New...