Who is giving up on McGuire? Not me. I've said several times the Sox need two catchers and I'm glad McGuire is one of them.
That said, I'll bet Sale, Paxton, Bello, and Houck have all made it known to Cora that would rather have Wong catch them. Kluber probably has too.
A fair point. Refsnyder could have started in LF with Yoshida the DH.
On the other hand, 6 Sox are hitless so far in this game. Yoshida has two hits and Wong and Devers one each.
Prepare to read the cheapest of cheap shots.
The Sox are playing their 4th game in a row, with three excellent starts in the 1st, 2d, and 4th games--and a lousy start in the 3d game. Wong caught/is catching the 1st, 2d, and 4th games.
So far we are seeing why Barria has an ERA below 2. He relies heavily on the slider and changeup--for good reason. 2d time thru the Sox lineup looks just as easy as the first time was.
I don't care about the road trip. I care about the game right in front of me.
Suddenly Houck has two well-earned K's on Trout and Ohtani. No fastballs.
Barria is going to get more calls than Houck because his pitches are right around the strike zone or in it. Three innings: easy peasy. Sox are befuddled.
K's Trout twice but lefty Angels bats are getting to Houck. Lucky to have given up just 1 run.
Barria's max innings, season to date, is 4. But what he is doing is effective.