Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Ok, I'll bite--I was surprised. Like everyone else I knew about the defensive issues and the lack of hitting, but the Sox were 7-3 on the West Coast--and, it turns out, the "AAAA Athletics" weren't that spineless because they are 5-5 against teams not named the Red Sox. And the Angels, whom the Sox beat 2 out of 3 games, are 7-6 and in 2d place in the AL West. And, oh, by the way, I didn't see you predicting the Sox going 0-4 at Fenway. Cat got your tongue?
  2. Wrong analogy. The Titanic was brand new, technologically advanced, expensive, and the best passenger ship in the world. They simply chose to run full steam in the N. Atlantic in April at night--and they ignored warnings of sea ice ahead. Very shortly after hitting the iceberg, the captain knew they would sink. The problems of this team have been well known for a long time. Surveyed talksoxers predicted a losing season. Of course, this isn't like a ship because the Sox will finish the season. But right now it sure looks like a painful season--for the fans, the players, management, and ownership.
  3. The above is a tad misleading. I intended to say simply that the Sox favor hitting, as do most MLB teams. This year's defense is way worse than defenses in the past and in fact is an embarrassment to the team, the fans, and MLB. I am quite sure JH is aware of this aspect. Since Cora is in his last year of his contract, JH might simply fire him. I don't think the defensive malaise is Cora's fault, but managers are hired to be fired.
  4. True. But, as I said on tonight's game thread, the Sox have always favored hitting over fielding. In the four seasons--2004, 2007, 2013, and 2018--when the Sox won the WS they finished 1st, 4th, 1st, and 1st in MLB in total runs scored. In those same four seasons their team ERA's were ranked 11th, 2d, 14th, and 7th. And their fielding percentages (which may not be relevant to their actual defensive skills) were ranked 23d, 4th, 9th, and 9th.
  5. If you look at the Sox Gold Glove winners over the years, almost all of them were good hitters. I'm not even sure Ellsbury deserved a GG in 2011, but he got one and also had once in a lifetime OPS for the season of .928. Hmmmmmm. Mookie had 4 and Pedey had 3 or 4, and both were excellent hitters.
  6. It's also possible you don't understand. Position players have to do two things, field and hit. The Sox have always, always preferred hitting over fielding. Thus in their four WS seasons of 2004, 2007, 2013, and 2018, the Sox were ranked 1st, 4th, 1st, and 1st in MLB in runs scored in the regular season. I'm sure the Sox have no moral objection to good fielding, but they never let it get in the way of good hitting.
  7. Maybe there's a tiny upside to all this. Dalbec no doubt has had a kind of inferiority complex because every time he comes up to Boston he demonstrates he can't hit and, really, field either. But now he fits in perfectly--at last.
  8. Duran LF Reyes 2B O'Neill RF Casas 1b Dalbec 3B Yoshida DH Wong C Rafaela CF Hamilton, SS
  9. He's in much better shape than Woods. He just doesn't have much hand-eye coordination.
  10. Tiger made the cut for the 24th straight time at the Masters, a record--at 1 over par. Cut is projected at +4. I watched most of it. His drives were good, his irons were the worst I can remember, mostly because of the wind, which is close to the worst I've seen. On the 18th green players had to pause when the wind blew the sand out of the sandtrap and across the green. First time I've seen that because that particular trap is deep. His short game, which got him that +1, was excellent. He walked 23 holes today, and walking, yes, walking, is the weakest part of his game right now. As for tonight and this game thread, I like all the comments already. Except for the rotation, this team gives every evidence it is disintegrating before our eyes.
  11. That's me right down the line.
  12. Not being happy is endemic to talksox. Right now it's impossible to be happy even though the Sox are 7-6. The rotation is still doing well. The bullpen struggles, but has had some moments. The fielding is execrable. The hitting so far is the worst in a long time.
  13. Actually, a big point. I saw the name, but forgot the lefty part.
  14. Never saw Dwight--too far away to get him on TV. But definitely like Manny, who took fielding rather lightly but was dead serious about hitting and very good at it. This thread is about defense, and I just have to say, yet again, that the Sox have always given priority to hitting-- even for centerfielders and shortstops. And so far these 2024 Sox appear to have neither hitting nor fielding.
  15. This discussion about how Cora is managing the bullpen is mindless. He has the experience and smarts--vastly greater than any of us--and he also seems to have a pretty good pitching coach. Thus the insane success of the rotation so far. The telltale on the pitching staff--which I seem to be the only one on talksox who is aware of--is that they have 12 righties and 1 lefty. All five starters are righties, which means opposing team can safely put in as many lefty bats as they want because, guess what, the Sox have one lonely lefty reliever. In short, the bullpen is unmanageable.
  16. Interesting. I believe I'm correct in saying that this year's rotation has been unbelievably good--way beyond any rational expectations--and with five starters who started last year for the Sox. So maybe the new pitching coach has had something to do with that. And the same can be said about the bullpen--the pitching coach is in charge of them. He's also right there in the dugout with Cora when decisions are made. He's also with Cora before the game when they map out contingencies--usually, who are they going to use for the last 4 innings. Also, let's not forget that the one thing the Red Sox stink at is developing pitchers of any kind. The miracle of the rotation is both that they have been terrific and that their combined salaries add up to just $14M. I think I'm right that the only one of the five who came up through what is laughingly referred to as the Sox "system" is Bello. We should also note that, out of 13 pitchers on this staff, just one is a lefty--Joely Rodriguez. Lefties reportedly are pretty good against lefty bats, and, given that the entire Sox rotation is made up of righties, you can bet there are plenty of lefty bats in the lineup every single night. But just one freaking lefty pitcher to get them out. This year I'm distraught at all the errors, other misplays, so-so hitting, etc. I think it's unarguable that the focus is not there--like Hamilton not touching the bag last night. Maybe that's on Cora, I don't know. But announcing he is destroying a bullpen after 13 freaking games is just stupid.
  17. It's real ugly right freaking now. This opening Fenway series was an embarrassment.
  18. Not all basements are equal. AL East is the winningest Division in MLB.
  19. Sox lose their opening series at the Fens, not just 3 games to 0, but in a variety of embarrassing ways. Almost as embarrassing is the Sox payroll--it's still the 11th biggest in MLB. Remember AAAA Oakland? They've climbed out of the AL West cellar and are now 5-8 to our 7-6. They do have the lowest payroll in MLB, $62M, roughly 1/3 of the Sox payroll, $180M. Wouldn't it be fun if the AAAA Athletics passed us in wins?
  20. McGuire getting thrown out is entirely within the character of this team this year.
  21. This is getting so old so fast.
  22. Dickwad is right.
  23. Reese McGuire can't hit Orioles pitching. What an idiot--he gets ejected.
  24. Very inclined to agree with you.
×
×
  • Create New...