Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. One more time. In the 4 games before this series, your no good, lowdown, rotten, stinking, worthless Marlins split 4 games with the best team in MLB, the Phillies. And they did it in Philadelphia. So you are darn right I'm impressed with Bello tonight. He pitched every bit as well as Crawford did last night. And, shame on me for saying this, but I'm actually hoping--not asserting, but hoping--tonight's outing is the beginning of a turnaround for Bello. Isn't that terrible to hope that when you and others want in the very worst way for Bello to crash and burn for the rest of this season?
  2. No, buster. You've been this way. I certainly have not. I watched almost every game in 2018, the best season the Sox have ever had. And I did the same in 2021 when the Sox made it to the postseason, beat Cole and the Yankees in the wild card, beat the 100 win Rays in the ALDS, and finally lost, 4 games to 2, to the Astros in the ALCS. People have forgotten that in his first two seasons as CBO, Dombrowski's teams won the AL East in 2016 and 2017 but were trounced, 3 games to none, both years in the ALDS. To me those were worse seasons than 2021. Such is Cora's genius that the Sox made it to the postseason and the ALCS in 2021 without a freaking closer. The last two seasons were not good, but they were still watchable. And, to a knowledgeable Sox fan since 1949, the 2024 Sox have been astounding precisely because of all the no-names, including the entire Sox rotation, who are making a difference.
  3. I get it. And I sure hope others on this thread do too. You don't like the 2024 version of the Sox, so you can't help but spew your venom all over this game thread. Also, try this on for size. Bello was dead, dead, dead in the first inning with those three quick singles and 1 run in and 1 out. But then he got a K for out 2. Then he got called for what I think was a bogus balk, putting runners on 2d and 3d. And then he got the third out on a grounder. And never looked back. Why do you refuse to acknowledge he had a great game tonight?And why do you ignore that the awful, terrible Marlins just split 4 games with the winningest team in MLB? I'm not saying Bello has turned a corner, not after just one game. But, if you are a real Sox fan, as you clearly are not, you gotta love what he did tonight and hope there will be more to come. Last night Crawford, our 2d best starter, went 6 innings and gave up 1 run.
  4. The "bad team" just split two with Philly in Philadelphia. In case you haven't noticed, the Phillies have the best won-lost record in MLB. My gosh, you guys hate giving a Sox pitcher any credit. And, yes, I know Bello has struggled massively for big chunks of this season. But as I've said once already, he has one of the best pitching coaches and the best manager in MLB to guide him.
  5. Ahem. Before last night, the Marlins split 4 games with the Phillies in Philly while scoring 7, 0, 3, and 6 runs. So puhlease don't tell me they can't hit--or pitch, for that matter. And last night they scored 3 runs off the Sox.
  6. You and I are on completely different wavelengths. I have seen a competitive Sox team this year. You know, the one that took 2/3 from the Yankees and 2/3 from the Phillies. Going into this game the Sox were .5 games out of the third wild card. And the pitching has without question been the strength of the Sox this year. Bello has struggled, but not in every game and certainly not tonight. Furthermore, he has a far better pitching coach and far better manager in Boston than he will find in Worcester.
  7. Rafaela triples and Duran and Refsnyder can't bring him home. So who do we blame? Bello, of course.
  8. Are you serious? Tonight he's gone 5 innings and given up 5 singles and 1 run. And you want to send him back to Worcester.
  9. Of course I watch the games. And my point is that tonight you are blinded by those previous games and can't see that Bello is actually pitching well tonight. You ought to be ashamed of yourself because he's our pitcher and has given up 1 run in 5 innings in a 2-1 game. Bello is the reason the Sox are leading.
  10. You don’t gain or regain confidence sitting on the bench.
  11. You’re an idiot. Why insist Bello stinks when he’s been pitching well? We all know how he’s struggle this year, but he also has 3 quality starts.
  12. Big hit by Rafael Devers! He really battled 2d time around and hit that grounder hard. I think they say it's a hit.
  13. Good thing you don't have a vote. My reaction to those 3 hits was the same as yours, but I wanted to see more before saying anything. Even with the balk, he held Florida to just the 1 run and then set them down in order in the 2d inning. Right now I'm more worried about the Sox weak hitting with RISP.
  14. Agree young additions/prospects could redeem some of Bloom's rep.
  15. It's terrific, but he has just 4 starts this season.
  16. Thanks for the info on 2020. 40% makes sense. They played 60/162 games, 37%, so 40% was just a tad over. Plus, of course, no one came to the games.
  17. Two kinds of winning--before July 31 and after July 31. While a win is a win is a win, it's the wins after July 31 that seem to ensure making it into the postseason. If the Sox dump Jansen, O'Neill, Pivetta, and whoever on or before July 31, I think that could adversely affect their ability to get to the postseason. If the Sox keep everyone and maybe add a player or two, that should improve their ability to get to the postseason, but it also means that all three will be free agents at the end of this season and therefore have no trade value. Right now this Sox team of mostly no-names is pretty likeable, despite the weak defense, etc. Given the losing record at Fenway, I think a good righty bat would help in the stretch run. Same goes for a good arm or two. I think Jansen's salary of $16M is insane. Last year he was also paid $16M--for 44.2 IP, which translates to $362K per IP. This year so far he's pitched 28.1 innings, so the cost per innings is $285K. But right now I think he is worth it.
  18. Interesting question. I think his income is mostly from outside baseball. He made a lot money as a commodities trader, which is what enabled him to buy the Sox for $660M. That said, however, his current estimated net worth, $4M, is mostly based on the value of the Red Sox franchise. As it turns out, buying the Sox was a terrific investment, but it was made valuable by those WS wins and other Sox-related schemes. I have to agree those WS wins were frequently the result of investments in players, some of whom, like Mookie, came up through the Sox system, and some of whom were traded for or simply hired as free agents.
  19. Wacky? I think it's a truism that a player's best playing years are before age 30 and his best income years are after 30. Yes, absolutely, in his early years with the Sox Mookie was an unbelievable bargain. Right now so are Duran and Houck. On the other hand, thanks to arbitration, in Mookie's last year with the Sox, 2019, his salary was $20M. When I looked up his Dodgers contract, it said he was paid the $65M bonus up front and not pro-rated.
  20. So far I think it is fair to say that the offseason acquisition of starters by both Chaim Bloom and Craig Breslow has been uniformly disastrous. Breslow giving up Sale and plumping down $38M for Giolito is just the latest example. Midseason deals need not be terrible. Eovaldi was one--2018. So was Schwarber--2021. In both cases the Sox still had the option to keep both of them, for a price of course. I like this current Sox team despite the weak infield defense and the so-so RISP hitting. The pitching--without Sale, Giolito, Whitlock, et al--is the best it's been in a long time. Even Story on the IL hasn't hurt much because of his weak hitting. Casas is missed, but not his defense. Besides, I continue to believe that the Sox biggest lineup need is a good righty bat because Fenway Park favors righty bats. I completely agree that, if the Sox stay comfortably above .500 and in the hunt for a wild card slot, they should be buyers later this month. I would love to see Breslow make a deal that isn't idiotic.
  21. We need as close to 5 decent starters as we can get. Houck and Crawford are more than decent, but Pivetta, Winckowski, and especially Bello are suspect. The team ERA of 3.62, ranked 7th in MLB, is still better than the 2018 Sox who won 108 regular season games. Sox pitching never nevertheless--and despite our griping (which I have done my share of)--remains their one real strength. The defense, ranked dead last in MLB, and the hitting--ranked 12th in runs scored--remain suspect.
  22. Sometimes I have the sneaking suspicion that the Sox FO and JH himself could do worse than read the comments on this thread. Not my comments, of course.
  23. If I'm pounding my chest, I'm wrong to do so because when Sale was let go and Giolito and Grissom were acquired I was paying absolutely no attention. Somewhere in my rantings is the valid point that I think the Atlanta Braves FO is a lot smarter than the Red Sox FO.
  24. I know. I looked it up--in complete disbelief.
×
×
  • Create New...