Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Beaucoup lefty bats, everyone but Rafaela. If the Yankees had won last night, it would not have been because they did anything right, but because Valdez screwed up the throw to 2b on a tailor-made GIDP. Because double plays are never assumed, the 3d Yankee run in the little faux-rally counts as earned. But all 3 runs were really unearned.
  2. I've gone over to the dark side because: 1) I like these 2024 Sox; 2) I see the need for another good starter; 3) I also see excess of outfielders in Boston and @ Portland. Heck, maybe there's a couple @ Worcester. As I think you said, best not to trade Mayer (SS) or Teel ©.
  3. Good points by both you and Notin--of course. I had no idea Sale's extension price was that small. So, if you're math is right, the Braves get 2 years of Sale for $22M--thanks to the Sox shelling out $17M this year--and can get a 3d year for $18M. I have pointed out (that's me patting myself on the back) that the Braves have yet to start Sale on 5 days rest, which is considered normal. Instead, 6 or 7 days rest. And that sure seems to be working. So this was a good deal for Atlanta and, honestly, a pretty darn good one for Sale at age 35 with a checkered 2019-2023 in his resume. My guess is that no one--not Cora, not Breslow, not whatever "brain trust" still exists in Boston, and not JH himself--on the Sox thought Sale was being reasonable. I have to add, however, that, thanks to the new pitching coach, the Sox rotation this year has been way, way better than expected. Right now the Sox team ERA, 3.53, is 4th best in MLB and the best it's been since 2007, when it was 3.87, but ranked 2d in MLB. Indeed, if we buy moonslav's entirely credible thesis that, because the Sox defense is so awful this season--8 more errors than any other team--we can assume that some of the "earned runs" ain't really earned. So it's possible this is the best Sox pitching staff in, what, 50 years? The giant caveat there is this season is a long way from over. So, while I admit the above is an exaggeration, letting Sale go--at least so far--has not been all that horrible.
  4. Crochet could be a good acquisition, and it sure looks like the Sox currently have decent outfielders to spare. Right now they have five: Duran, Abreu, Rafaela, O'Neill, and Refsnyer. Plus, as you say, Anthony and Campbell at Portland.
  5. Don't need him in the outfield where the Sox already have five: Duran, Abreu, Rafaela, Ref, and O'Neill. Plus, in a pinch, Yoshida. The need is in the infield, so much so that right now I would start Gonzalez over Smith at 1b or Gonzalez over Valdez @ 2b. However, I also trust Cora and today, July 6, he's going with 8 lefty bats, including Smith at 1b and Valdez @ 2b. Rafaela in CF is the only righty bat. Duran in LF and Abreu in RF. No Ref and no O'Neill and for sure no Gonzalez. Also no Wong with McGuire catching Winckowski. Wong's OPS in June was a terrific .884, but in four games in July it's just .353. His OPS in May was .755 and in April .959. I like Wong a whole lot more than McGuire, who is overweight and not much of an athlete. But behind the plate I think McGuire is as effective, and that's what counts.
  6. Nailed it again. I have to add about Yoshida that about 2 weeks ago I gave 5 reasons for keeping him in the lineup: 1) Sunk investment (his contract); 2) we know he could hit in Japan; 3) injury this year could have affected him; 4) getting used to Boston/USA can be daunting especially when everything written/said/on TV is opaque and there are no other Japanese players on the Sox; 5) Cora chose to play him and not bench him. I did not see Yoshida's hot streak coming, but did see the possibility.
  7. Dodgers go up, 8-5, on the Brewers with 3 runs in the 8th. Both teams lead their divisions with similar W-L records.
  8. Meh. He has just 5 errors. Smith has 5 in fewer games and at an easier position. Devers has 6. Hamilton 7. Rafaela 10. But I do agree tonight's error was heinous and, but for an astounding dinger by Yoshida, costly.
  9. Yep. Their OPS's are 1.123 and 1.001. Then it's Stanton's .795, Dugo's .693, Volpe's .688, Torres' .641, Rizzo's .630, and so on.
  10. Maybe so about Casas, but my point is that, although he had done absolutely nothing wrong, it's possible that, because the injury occurred while swinging a bat, he won't be able to swing freely in the future. It's just a tough break, which could still be resolved when and if he starts hitting the ball hard again. I liked where Sale was at the end of last season. But I absolutely do understand why the Sox let him go and even sent along another $17M to seal the deal. Halfway through this season, it sure looks like the Braves outsmarted the Sox FO, but time will tell. And the loss of Sale has not been a disaster for the Sox rotation.
  11. Tonight, July 5, 2024, they were not animated. They scored either 2 or 3 unearned runs, period. And gave up 5 runs on 3 dingers. Our ace, Houck, left after 3.1 innings. Their starter, who was excellent, went 6 IP giving up just 1 run. And the Sox still won, 5-3 in 10 innings.
  12. It's those short porches in LF and RF. Plus Yoshida actually weighs 192 lbs. @ 165 lbs, Rafaela no longer goes to the beach. Brewers are leading the Dogers, 5-2--make that 5-4--in LaLaLand.
  13. True. I was being hypercritical of Houck in the 4th inning. Probably because Cortes seem unaffected by the delay and pitched 6 excellent innings.
  14. One or two really good righty bats, and the Sox would also have a winning record at the Fens.
  15. Cora is clueless. Houck should never have come out for the 4th inning. Heck, for that matter, neither should Valdez. I think I'll just send a short note to Breslow saying he needs a new manager--and that I'm willing to step in.
  16. As well you should have. Sox need a new manager.
  17. But he has had the hot bat since June 24--and that's an awfully short porch in RF. If Yoshida takes over the DH position--which may have already happened--Cora needs to find ways to get at bats for Ref and O'Neill. So I think Rafaela might just stay at SS, which puts Duran in CF and Abreu, Ref, and O'Neill to fill the LF and RF slots. Right now O'Neill is better against lefty pitchers and Ref against righties. Abreu has the third best OPS on the team against righties.
  18. Houck struggled, no question, but the Sox bullpen went 6.2 scoreless innings. Plus all 5 runs were off dingers by Gonzalez, who needs to take over at 1b, Yoshida, who has had the hottest Sox bat over the last 9 games, and Rafaela, who I think should stay at SS.
  19. Not a total loss for the Yankees. Attendance tonight was 47,158.
  20. Ball game! How about that, sports fans!
  21. Ump tonight has been tough on Sox pitchers and a good friend to Yankees pitchers.
×
×
  • Create New...