I don't disagree with you on Mayer. I'm not actively looking for us to trade him, and I like his defence for sure, but he has a lot of question marks and I think he was very wrongly put in the same bracket as Anthony throughout the minor leagues. Last year showed us differently. But if the industry still has him anywhere near that ceiling in terms of projection, I'd send him away and reap the rewards if we're just holding him as depth/platoon.
I had this same conversation with Hugh a couple of days ago before he went mad talking about the weather, but as much as I would do Mayer for Marte, we would then still need a 1st or 3rd baseman, which means that likely rules out Alonso coming to us, as we have nobody for 3rd, but still have Casas/Romy for 1st. Not sure how I feel about that.