Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Hugh2

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    4,315
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Hugh2

  1. I think just about anyone would delay retirement or come out of retirement for one more year for the right price, and that applies to all ranges of self interest. I say respect Papis decision....if he really wants to come back for one more year he will/should express interest. I really think there is something to be said about a guy who goes out on top of his game.
  2. I'll eat crow, I lost our bet and I'll be the one to remind you. He started more than 10 games. But calling it "stupid" is absurd. As evidence of my last post. I would have been 100% signing him, he would have been a great depth option but the risk was very very very high. High risk/high pay out. It's paying out for Oakland but lets not all pretend that the risk wasn't/isn't there. I still very highly doubt he can start 32 games, and if he does his arm will have been fatigued by October time. He has not pitched that many innings in over a decade, and even a fully healthy, young spring chicken can't double or triple their workload in one year. It would be almost unprecedented for him to pitch 190 innings + and that's before even talking about being available for the playoffs.
  3. I get your point, but if the solution is to outspend every team every time to get the guy you want this team would easily have a payroll north of 200 million with likely less talent on it. Every other team is trying to compete and they have money too. This is also a hindsight decision. Hill hasn't started this many games since 2009, which was 2 more than he has this year. The last time he started more than that was in 2007. It's 2016, he's 36 with an extensive injury history, no matter how good he pitches the odds of him crashing or fatiguing are getting higher and higher every single game. Lets not pretend that there wasn't a huge amount of risk in signing him.
  4. I disagree, I say let Ortiz retire on top. Regression is not always linear....players like Papi aren't always going to give you exactly 1-.5 less WAR per year, rather he's just going to fall off a cliff one year. It could have been this year, maybe it would be next, or maybe it would be in 3 years but at 40 years old it would be coming sooner rather than later. I hate seeing players get pushed out of the game because they stink, and I think the offense will survive without him. Invest in pitching and let Ortiz ride into the sunset on top of his game. He deserves that.
  5. Right, I remember after Ortiz wrist injury everybody thought he was in a serious decline and his career wouldn't last much longer.....he's lasted almost a whole other decade. It did take about 2 seasons to get him right though.
  6. I forgot about that.
  7. At the absolute VERY least I think Pedroia is showing us this season that any type of decline he may be in is nowhere near as big as we thought it could have been last year.
  8. I see an extension of JBJ/Bogaerts/Betts highly unlikely. Our time is now, this team is in now mode....I say buy Strasburg next offseason and go for a run for the next few years. With some luck in several years guys like Benintendi, Devers, Moncada, and Espinoza will fill the talent pool those guys leave behind (Price aging). And with some money freed up by then you can still probably extend at least one of those guys to a monster contract and maybe trade another to replenish the system. Of course a lot can happen between now and then and this assumes a lot. I think any good long term plan is NOT a concrete long term plan. You have to be able adjust accordingly with the market, your team, and your system. Like for example, lets say all of a sudden the CHW want to trade a Chris Sale for a prospect heavy package to replenish their system (highly unlikely) perhaps you reconsider holding onto an Espinoza in a situation as such.
  9. No but you and all the other new members should at least try to comply with the wishes of the two people who run this board. I'm not responsible for anyone besides myself. Everyone who has been a member here for a while likes this place and how it is run. Fantastic. Your dissension is conspicuous. Good. Emp, I'd say to give their way a chance. I've been posting on another forum besides this one long before the BDC forums shut down who have followed a similar model. I would say from my experience that the conversation tends to be much better that way. I happen to think redundancy was a big problem over at BDC too so what do I know but in the end they are going to run their forums the way they want them run. We chose to be here, so I think it's more likely we disseminate into their "culture" rather than the opposite.
  10. Hey I didn't say I liked the guy, only that with Sam Travis out for the season and likely to begin next year the odds of Sandoval getting playing time in Boston next year have increased.
  11. Benintendis is batting .243/.293/.324 so far in Portland. What's the over/under of when he reaches .300???? I'll put it at June 21st.
  12. I think he would have got a cup of coffee this year and if all was well he'd have an opportunity to compete for a spot next year. Guess whose probability of playing time in 2017 just went up???? Here's a clue P.S.
  13. Well Hernandez is performing at the highest level. I've seen no one rank Basabe ahead of Devers. Not that the kid doesn't have potential but I don't think he's done anything yet to place himself above him. He's struggling at a level Devers mastered at more than 1 whole year younger than him. I mean Basabe is on everyone's top Ten, But Devers is on some peoples top 10 in the whole game. Here's how I would rank them. Moncada Benintendi Espinoza Devers Kopech Travis Basabe (Alexander) Ockimey Chavis Lakins I think you can make a case for Dubon and Hernandez in there. The top 4 in my mind is interchangable. Ockimey isn't in anyone's top ten, but I'd be willing to bet when mid seasons top 10's come out soon he will be.
  14. Guys like Gausman are why DD (the other DD) traded Erod. Show em what they are missing Eduardo!!!
  15. Yup and I was one of them. I'll eat crow....but I'll wait a little longer. Let's see if he can hold up in a rotation for a full season
  16. Yes but that's not what I was referring too. I saw what you did there though, touché.....touch....
  17. That last pitch was a strike on a swihart. Why is Hanigan Wrights catcher?
  18. I agree and think this is a good point. I made a similar point on the Patriots thread in defense of the MIT physics department who validated the Patriots story in deflategate. This is a job to these people, while I'm sure it exists, biased calls probably happen much much less often in sports than us fans like to admit.
  19. Basabe over Devers? I haven't seen that yet. Why no love for Devers???
  20. Clearly out next manager is in here. Tough loss, I blame the umpires.
  21. This is the type of game you rely on your closer for more than one inning
  22. That's just the thing, some people have zero tolerance for new statistics and argue using classical statistics. It's a resistance to change and a new way of looking things. my biggest pet peave isn't the fact that people don't like them but that they dismiss them almost immediately. It's a very unscientific and stubborn way to approach life. Even if you end up being tight that a stat is useless.
  23. Opinions of Joe Kelly could really sway very far in either direction depending on his start. If he pitches well tonight coupled with his last start then it will be hard to ignore how he ended last season and not hope that he could emerge as solid starter in this rotation this year. However.....if he lays an egg then we better hope the offense doesn't take a day off. On side note......is it sad that I'm semi disappointed that I have to hang out with friends tonight instead of staying home and watching baseball?
  24. Sox seem to trade away a power arm hitting triple digits but not much else going on for them almost every year. Although they are usually further away with more uncertainty than light. They almost never amount to anything....but then again Frankie Montas looks like he could play in the big leagues.
  25. Well there is Teddy Stankiewicz but I'm not sure how well his stuff will play up in the majors right now. He's not exactly blowing guys away but he has good results, the low K rate is a little concerning. Still, I don't think he's a guy to rely on this year. I was hoping Roenis Elias would be a good depth option for us this year and he still may but the pitching staff is vulnerable if it sustains more injuries.
×
×
  • Create New...