Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Actually, I kind of do that anyway. When the Sox have a good lead, I tune in when the other team is at bat and see how our pitching is holding up. When we are down, I tend to watch just the offense. Stupid, I admit. If it's a tie or 1 run game, then I watch both halves of every inning. I missed last night because I was at an important ceremony (to me, anyway), but am sure I would have been riveted throughout the game until the Yankees got those 2 more in the 9th. I got home just in time to watch Benintendi make the last out. Afterward, I did my share of venting, however.
  2. Darn. Much too sensible for my typical wise-ass response. I not only agree those 6 are plus (or better) hitters, but that maybe Moreland will be too. Losing hope at 3B and C however.
  3. Not bad, not bad at all.
  4. You seem to think that actually scoring runs is irrelevant to any discussion about Sox hitting. I say again, the Sox right now are 26th in MLB in runs scored, which is abysmal for any Sox team. Meanwhile, the team ERA is the 4th best in MLB, which is fantastic, but the Sox are just 1 game above .500 and already 3.5 games behind the Orioles, who have the 3d best ERA in MLB and far more consistent hitting. I say again, I don't expect the current trend--26th in MLB in runs scored--to continue, but am asking whether the Sox this year will get back to the top 5 in runs scored, which historically has been a prerequisite to a successful season. One key is dingers--the Sox are ranked dead last with 11, and the 29th team has 15. I would call that a major power outage, especially for a team that has bought in completely to the Bill James approach which is predicated on no bunting and low risk base-running (at least that's my impression). Related is the absence of Ortiz. I honestly believe this lineup would be fine, but right now it is beyond question there is no stud in our lineup, none.
  5. I think those who are arguing that the hitting will improve are missing a key point. Yes, of course, the hitting will improve because right now it is 26th in MLB in runs scored, which is abysmal. What you are missing is that these guys have to improve a lot, not a little. Meanwhile, the lousy hitting is costing us games lost which cannot be recovered. and let's not forget another key point--the sox are in the same division with the yankees and orioles, both of whom have excellent pitching and better hitting than the sox. so yes, it's early in the season, hope is not dead, etc. Meanwhile, the sox are 3.5 games out of first--despite having the 4th best ERA in MLB.
  6. I got back in time to see the final out benintendi. It'll be a long time before I start another game thread. When the hitting is this bad--and it's really bad--to me it's impossible to blame the manager for not doing something. Eventually, if the team is under performing as shown by their W-L record, managers do get fired even if it isn't strictly their fault. That could happen to Farrell. Meanwhile, maybe we should blame the guy who assembled this team--some of it, anyway. Of course, the very same guy assembled the pitching staff which right now is ranked 5th best in MLB--not too shabby.
  7. i started this, but probably can't finish because i have an important event tonight.
  8. also five bats with OPS's below .700--bogaerts, hernandez, pedroia, ramirez, and leon. last two are below .600. it's 81 degrees in arlington, va. how is it up there?
  9. sale vs. tanaka, advantage to us except for a lineup that has stopped hitting. pedroia 2b benintendi lf betts rf ramirez dh moreland 1b bogaerts ss bradley cf leon c hernandez 3b
  10. great finish, but still a lousy game.
  11. well done, JBJ. Just a walk, but you had to work for it. but then a little slow getting to 2b.
  12. A little credit to Severino who has shown nasty stuff tonight.
  13. You're joking, right? Pedroia isn't in the game.
  14. You're right. I take it back. Porcello has only given up 3 runs, which shouldn't be counted because of all those K's. Twice tonight he has given up big hits--a dinger and what could have been a double--with RISP. Severino has had no such problems. The one time we had men on first and second and no one out, HanRam goes GIDP. The score is just 3-0, but we are being dominated.
  15. Sox have three bare singles in 5 innings. No line drive hits, I don't think. Severino has our number.
  16. Porcello pitches tough.
  17. So that's now two errors by us and one very good play by the Yankees.
  18. Tonight's game looks like a mismatch--our guy Porcello is hittable,and their guy isn't.
  19. Sandoval and Bogaerts have the same bad habit on hard hit grounders that give them lots of time--they feel obligated to pump their arms a couple of times which seems to mess up the actual throw.
  20. Worth pointing out that our big chance came from a soft grounder to 3b and a walk. For our guys tonight, this guy is unhittable.
  21. Our specialty with two men on and no one out--the GIDP
  22. who are the announcers?
  23. Meh. I don't begrudge them the money because I agree they are really entertainers at the core--and some are more professional than others.
  24. No Pedroia--I thought he was ready. Ramirez drops to 5th, good. This lineup so far is not producing the way most of us expected, but it's early.
×
×
  • Create New...