Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Right now you gotta be partially or wholly blind not to root for these Sox. I was down on the guys before the 3 games at Yankee Stadium where the Sox only won one, but I loved what I saw, especially in the two games they lost. They had a shot at winning both of them. These Sox unquestionably have flaws, but they have a lot of strengths too, to say nothing of the best record in MLB.
  2. About the only guy I attack on game threads is Pom, and even there I try to hold off at least until the roof falls in. I was really down on Porcello before the season started, but did see he was pitching better in April--way better than I expected. At one point I thought he just might be the ace this year. Then the deluge.
  3. This is where you lose me. Blown calls did not prevent baseball from becoming America's pastime or America's being fixated on WS day games to the extent radio broadcasts and other means were used to keep even school kids informed. Blown calls happened and, if crucial, were much talked about, but the game still thrived. To me baseball is quintessentially a human endeavor and humans, thank goodness, do make mistakes--batters, pitchers, fielders, baserunners, coaches, and yes, umpires.
  4. Bottom on Porcello did indeed plummet in May. He's get a decent repertoire, but needs to hit his spots. Back in April I had the impression he was keeping the ball low, but you need control to do that.
  5. Team OPS vs. lefties his .685, and Beni's is .655. Not much of a difference. I'd play against lefties to get him better at that. Nunez could replace him against lefties except Nunez is actually worse.
  6. I have noticed that, amazingly enough. He also tends to make contact with the ball more and for some reason opposing fielders don't catch as many of the balls he hits. Bill James doesn't pick up on this kind of stuff.
  7. JBJ has been a disaster this year, and I'm glad the Sox DFA'd him. Well, I almost said that and am glad I did not. Cora gambled on him and, for now, has won. Good for Cora and for all the other JBJ boosters. I did think that was a remarkable catch yesterday in a spot where most outfielders would not have attempted what JBJ in fact did. I still think, as good as he is in the field, JBJ has to hit decently to stay in the lineup. What I have liked in the past about Beni, Bradley, and Betts is that overall they are a pretty good outfield in the field and at the plate.
  8. Red Sox media and fans have insatiable appetites for info, rumors, surmises, secondhand gossip, etc. Interestingly, the Sox per game attendance so far this year is 2000/game lower than last year and 2016. That could, however, just be the result of the nasty weather for many of the games.
  9. Meh. To me you have to earn a vesting opportunity, and in my book he wasn't earning it. I wrote him off on that 2 out double to right center by Moreland when Hanley paused between 1st and 2d to see if it was going out--and was consequently thrown out at the plate. He may be great talking to people in the locker room, but he is not a professional on the field.
  10. I continue to agree with the OP, that the Sox should not trade for an "offensive catcher."
  11. I agree with Kimmi on almost everything, but not on the idea that somehow Hanley has been treated badly. Granted, a regular who is DFA's ain't looking all that good, but guess what? He's getting paid $22M this year regardless of what he does or where he goes. He's gone because the Sox are winning--best record in MLB--in a season when the FO feels strongly they must win. That's why Cora replaced Farrell. That's why JD was brought in. That's why Hanley is gone--because he's a liability on the field with Moreland playing as well as he is.
  12. More fun winning without Verlander.
  13. Nice win without Mookie--thank goodness. Nice move by Cora leaving Hembree in despite the back to back triples and the walk. Yankees back to 2 behind. Sox have their own reckoning with the Astros at Houston this weekend.
  14. Exactly what they did with Youkilis, who I thought looked pretty good at 1B.
  15. Failure to shave or left side tightness.
  16. Sure hope Foltynewicz's dad makes it to Fenway today. Tough righty, hard thrower. Devers in, Nunez out. JBJ in, Swihart out. Leon in, Vazquez out. Yankees tied in the loss column, four back in win column.
  17. I'm not going by sample sizes, but by what I see. So please tell me of one other MLB starter who relies on just 2 pitches and is not, like Wright, a knuckleballer. I know his ERA is bad, but I don't understand how he gets anyone out with that 87-91 mph fastball and the knuckle curve. I'm assuming that because of his size batters might a problem picking up the ball when he pitches. But, I say again, he lacks two things crucial for an effective starter: command of his pitches; an effective repertoire of pitches.
  18. Well, that's sort of what we all thought was the case with Hanley, and looked what happened to him. The thing about a starting pitcher is that he can destroy a game all by himself. It's a sad fact that they are paying Pom $14M this year, but it is his last year. I would go with Wright, Velazquez, or Johnson over Pom. However, it's possible he will start again because Cora will still have at least two good long relievers to send in when Pom bombs again.
  19. Bad call, moonslav. Not like you at all.
  20. I will say one thing more that I said in the game thread. I loved the way Pom pitched today because it reconfirmed how lousy he is and makes it easier for management to move him to where he can't wreck a game every time he goes onto the mound.
  21. I honestly don't see where the hope comes from. He has a sorry ass fast ball and that knuckle curve, and that is it. If he had great control, he might manage on two pitches, but he doesn't. The telltale is the unbelievable amount of time he takes between pitches because he is afraid to throw anything. Tell me, please, what you see in the way he pitches that makes you think he can stay in the rotation.
  22. Great win, one of the best this year because Pom stunk yet again and the Sox overcame that lead. Here’s hoping Pom’s next start is a long time coming. Meanwhile Wright and Velazquez are much better and available. 8 runs even though Mookie and JD could only muster a single between them. It sure helps that Hanley is gone. Now somehow Pom needs to be shelved too.
  23. I have to be honest and say I do not understand why anybody could think he is a viable MLB starter--or reliever. He has two pitches, a slow fast ball and a knuckle curve, and not enough control to make them even remotely effective.
  24. If by some miracle Pom gets thru the 4th without giving up another run, Cora needs to replace him for the 5th.
  25. Pretty terrible 2d inning. Pom does his thing by giving up 2 runs, but our guys absolutely could not capitalize on 2 men on and nobody out.
×
×
  • Create New...