Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. It's to the credit of Cora and the team as a whole that they are 6-2 without Mookie Betts, who most of us agree is the team MVP this year so far. Still, this is troubling. Six lefty bats in the lineup vs. righty McCullers. Also interesting that Pedroia is back in there and batting 5th. The bottom third--Holt, Leon, and JBJ--has actually hit pretty well recently. Thanks, Kimmi, for providing a complete lineup.
  2. I can think of no better endorsement of Leon and Vazquez than your condemnation. I might add the same thing applies to the manager who has used them exclusively during the first third of a season in which the Sox have the best record in MLB.
  3. Stunning how the Hanley DFA has taken over this thread even though there is an entire thread on that one topic. Since it has, one more small thought. I believe this team is better because of the way Cora manages it, and clearly he believed dumping Hanley would improve this team right now and that is what is actually happening.
  4. Exactly right. He is the consummate utility guy who more often than not does some good. He can in fact play 4 infield and 3 outfield positions with a modicum of skill, he can sometimes hit and/or bunt and/or get a walk, and he's not bad on the basepaths. I am not, repeat not, a big Holt fan, but can see why Cora has him on the roster.
  5. Cool. Very cool. Thanks, mvp 78. I'm enlightened but still have my doubts based on the world famous "eye test," by a rank amateur (me).
  6. Pom's problem is repertoire. He is the only MLB starter I know of with just two pitches, a fast ball and the knuckle curve, which I have never seen "dance," at least, not in the way Wright's knuckler does. moonslav and others love to remind me that Pom has been effective in the past, especially last year, but I remain a skeptic. Thus it is a huge plus for this year's Sox that Wright and Pom were both on the DL early which gave Cora a chance to see Velazquez and Johnson start. Now Wright is back too and his knuckler actually does work. So I think Pom is going out there tonight with a short string. Cora will want to win this first one if only because he doesn't want to make station 13 unhappy.
  7. HanRam was addition by subtraction. Yes, the vesting option was the decider, but at the same time he sure as heck wasn't earning his $22M and Moreland was/is a much better choice at 1B. About the clubhouse thing. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say his team mates really liked him. Even then, however, his weak hitting and so-so defense at 1B combined with Moreland being much better at both was going to force Cora to use Moreland more and HanRam less even though HanRam is making the big bucks. This can never be a good situation, regardless of the personalities involved. As moonslav has said repeatedly, re-signing Moreland and acquiring JDM put HanRam's future with the Red Sox in jeopardy.
  8. A lot of good ingredients to this win and this series sweep. Given slasher9's fixation on how the Sox fare when a particular player is on the field or not, I have to point out that the Sox are now 6-2 in games in which Mookie Betts doesn't play.
  9. You wanted to bring Kimbrel in for the second straight game with 4 run lead and therefore no save?
  10. Francona loved taking pitches too--see the 2004 and 2007 seasons especially. And pitch taking, rampant in 2013, tapered off a little in 2016 and 2017--and a lot more in 2018. I do give Cora credit for recognizing that, for younger hitters especially, taking a lot of pitches is not a good idea.
  11. Hmm. I think we've seen this particular Johnson before.
  12. Agree completely with whoever said ERod had a good game today because he sure did. Right now the Sox have four pretty good starters.
  13. Taking pitches is straight out of the Bill James sabermetrics manual. Farrell did not invent it. Bill James is today a paid consultant to the Sox.
  14. 2 close plays--worth the gamble.
  15. He sure did. Might be my imagination, but I thought he was keeping the ball low.
  16. Excellent. We will have an in-country, on the scene operative reporting back to talksox. Decades ago I was working in Oklahoma and could only get Astros games on radio back when Joe Morgan was their secondbaseman before he went to the Reds.
  17. Nicely put, but should have been unnecessary. I enjoy disagreeing with you, but have to stretch to do so. Glad you like Cora, as do I.
  18. Porcello. One more Sox pitcher who thinks covering 1b isn’t part of his job. He was way late.
  19. Fair question. I accepted those because he remained a terrific hitter.
  20. if the Sox win tonight, they will b 5-2 without Mookie in the lineup.
  21. I hope you are baiting me, which I probably deserve. I just happen to believe the umps are a plus, not a minus, and shudder at the prospect of robot umps.
  22. Cora told me he's not sure, but thinks Mookie could be back for the Astros series. He added he doesn't see the need to use him against a bunch of second raters like the Jays and thinks he just might have Swihart catch the 3d game on Wed.
  23. Beni LF Bogie SS Moreland 1b JDM DH Devers 3b Pedey 2b Holt RF Leon C JBJ CF Like last night, but Pedey and Leon in for Nunez and Vazquez
  24. Baseball games are in fact regulated by four umpires--plenty to make all the calls. This does not mean they won't make mistakes. I'm pretty sure the tobacco industry is still unregulated. They can be sued, but the making of cigarettes is not unlawful. Their products can also be taxed, in many instances, heavily. But it is still legal to smoke whatever in this country. The best weapon against smoking--other than lawsuits or taxes--is publicity, and that is mostly working.
×
×
  • Create New...