Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. My stupid plan of using Wright for the first two innings would have been a whole lot better than this travesty we are witnessing in the 6th inning. Sale is fine, all right, but the bullpen stinks to high heaven.
  2. Another good question. Because there is no way, no how he isn't going to start/pitch game 1. DD already said so. He is maybe the most professional starter I've ever seen, truly dedicated to his sport. He never shakes off signals. He stays completely focused. He fields his position impeccably. And he gets great results. Based on the above (by me), it would be criminal not to let Sale start and pitch that 1st inning and as many more as he can. I understand that full well. But I like my idea too even though there is no way, no how Cora will use it. And I don't think the reason he wouldn't consider it is because he's never done it before. The reason he won't is just what you implied: to use Wright first would make it clear he doesn't trust Sale completely.
  3. Good point. I forgot about Kimbrel. Sometimes he definitely can use a little residual.
  4. Typical in this case is borderline heroic given how well they Yankees are now hitting, especially lefties. I don't think Wright needs any residual effect. On the other hand, it has never been shown (so far as I know) that Sale needs or benefits from residual effect for the simple reason he almost always starts. Last year he relieved Porcello in game 4 and gave up 2 runs in 4.2 innings vs. Houston. 4 days earlier he went 7 and gave up 7 runs in a game the Astros took, 8-2.
  5. Glad to. Starting Wright mitigates the risk of starting Sale who didn't look so good in September or last October. In other words, Wright sets him up for success. You yourself--or someone else--said that knuckler has a residual effect that carries over to the next Sox pitcher and maybe even the next game. On the other hand, if your confidence in Sale is high, it would make no sense to start Wright. It does appear that we agree that Wright is probably the best in the bullpen for anything except closing.
  6. I'll tell you why I favor starting Wright tonight for 2 innings, then bringing in Sale-- 1. First and foremost, I'm worried about Sale. He bombed last October and he's had a very worrisome September. 2. Second, starting a reliever worked great for the Rays this year--and used in this manner, 1 or 2 innings 3. Wright has had a great September. He's started before. Best of all, his knuckler cannot help but set up Sale who throws a lot of hard stuff. The two best arguments against doing this are-- 1. Cora has done nothing like this before and it could screw everything up. 2. Sale was fantastic against the Yankees early this year, April and June.
  7. Actually, Pom is finally providing something the Sox can use--a batting practice pitcher who might help them get ready for Happ. Both lefties, both around 6'5 1/2" tall. But one can pitch and the other, well, the Sox are paying him $14.3M not to pitch in the ALDS.
  8. I admit using Wright to start and go 2 innings is pretty wild, but what you propose is just wrong. You don't waste Wright on an unwinnable game when he had by far the best September in the bullpen. Heck, if you take out just 1 game, his disastrous start June 22 when he gave up 10 runs, he has pitched in 19 games, gone 50 innings, and has an ERA of 1. In September he pitched 13.2 innings in relief and gave up 1 earned run for an ERA of .66. Plus Wright is versatile--unlike Kimbrel. He can go more than 1 inning--3 or 4 if you want--and in any inning. This is the postseason, and no way, no how should Cora leave anyone in long enough to make the game unwinnable. If the starter falters early, pull him and bring in Wright before the game gets out of hand. You want a long reliever after the damage is done, go with ERod.
  9. Has to be him.
  10. Pre-September standard. Through July Sale was insanely good. Not so much after that. Just 1 game in August and short starts in September. Which Sale will show up tomorrow is a legitimate concern.
  11. Pre-September standard. Through July Sale was insanely good. Not so much after that. Just 1 game in August and short starts in September. Which Sale will show up tomorrow is a legitimate concern.
  12. I looked up Sale vs. the Yankees this year, and back in April and June he was terrific. So, while I still like the Wright idea and am worried about how Sale looked in September, I'm fine with Wright not going the first 2 innings tomorrow night. It would have been fun to watch, however.
  13. You do understand I'm advocating Wright start and pitch just 2 innings, right?
  14. Yes, but those 7 Yankee runs last night sure put a dent in my thesis. Let's hope the entire pitching staff is helped by the long rest. Of course, a good rest destroyed the Rockies way back in 2007 when they were red hot going into the postseason, then swept the NLDS and NLCS, but had to wait and wait and wait (cue Casablanca music) before playing the Sox who needed 7 games to beat the Guardians in the ALCS. Result: Sox sweep red hot Rockies.
  15. You're darn right I do. I know something about strategy, and this is the way Napoleon took Moscow and later Hitler did the same thing after he bombed Pearl Harbor. You have to be bold. Never take counsel of your fears. Listen to George C. Scott.
  16. No way Travis is on the roster. Lin would be a way better pick. As it is, I'm pretty sure neither is on it because Cora is going with 14, including 3 catchers. That means the other three are Pearce, Nunez, and Holt. Troublemaker that I am, right now I would dump starter Kinsler and use Lin instead at 2B because he is hitting as Kinsler is not and because he should have the same range or better at 2b if not the same consistency.
  17. I only want Wright to do 2 innings on Friday, the first 2. That should be enough to set up Sale for success. If it works on Friday, maybe do it again on Monday. As I Sox fan since 1949, I learned long ago it's never too soon to panic.
  18. I also prefer Poyner and Workman. Kelly had a great August, May, and April and horrendous (ERA over 8 all three months) June, July, and September.
  19. Could be. I do remember the movie Moneyball. At the end of it. the vaunted A's who had won 20 straight lost to the Twins in the ALDS, 3-2. The next year they lost to the Sox, 3-2.
  20. Meh. When I'm on my hobby horse, stats mean nothing to me. Those are pretty good though. I might argue that I only want Wright to start and go 1 or 2 innings, and I will stack him up against the entire Oakland bullpen for doing that particular job. In fact, the reason I want to use Wright so much is precisely because our bullpen is so weak and because--weak-kneed fan that I am--I also nervous about the rotation and especially Sale, Anyway, thanks to you and moonslav for jumping on this. I'm sincerely grateful.
  21. Decades ago I got a degree English, which automatically allowed me to take poetic license. You got your metaphors, your similes, your oxymorons, and of course your hyperboles. I really like them hyperboles.
  22. Postseason bulletin. Bob Melvin of the A's has broken ranks with the other successful postseason managers and basically taken leave of his senses. In the win or go home wild card game tonight vs. the vaunted Yankees lineup, he ain't going with a starter, just a bunch of relievers. For all you who are quite confident Cora should never, never, never start a reliever, you better hope the Yankees win big tonight even though most of you, like me, are rooting for the A's.
  23. About tonight's game. Oakland is going with their bullpen, not a starter. Terrible idea--I read it right here on talksox. No way, no how can you win a MLB game, especially a wild card game, by starting a reliever. The only guys relieved tonight will be the Yankees fans. Their team almost doesn't have to show up. Well maybe the A's lineup can get to Severino. If so, maybe they can save Bob Melvin's job.
  24. The last time Sale went 5 was August 12 and he has had four starts, 12 innings, and 5 earned runs since then. In his last two starts he went 9 innings total and gave up 5 earned runs. Plus his velocity was way down last time. His ALDS ERA last year was 8.38. Price has done better, agreed. Last two starts vs Orioles and Yankees, however, he went 5.0 and 5.1 and gave up 5 dingers total. The 10 starts right before those, however, were mostly 6 and 7 innings plus two for 8 (Cleveland and Philly). Last year Price was great in the bullpen in the ALDS--6.2 innings, 0 runs. But he was a disaster in 2016 starting--3.1 innings, 5 runs. All Porcello's September starts--5 of them--were 5.2 or less innings. August better--5, 5, 7, 7, 4, and 9--but he gave up 21 runs with an ERA of 5.11. July the same. His ALDS ERA last year was 4.5 and the year before 10.4. I am not optimistic but, as always, I admire your positive spin.
  25. It sure looks that way. Good pitching does usually dominate good hitting. But good pitching doesn't just happen. I watched a bunch of Lester's pitches, and he rarely threw one in the middle of the zone. He had great command.
×
×
  • Create New...