Such pessimism. Unfortunately, I agree with the pessimism and about the late hours.
Jung is wrong about the bullpen, which actually surprised me. They had to go in early--5th inning--and pitched well for 4 innings. Kelly's run was totally and completely unearned thanks to a terrible play by Nunez.
Where I agree with Jung is our lineup seemed a bunch of babies out there. Three stinking singles. The big excitement--the clutch rally--was entirely Verlander's doing. The whining to the ump was sickening--that's where the babies part comes in. Also, I could not believe the number of called strikes on fast balls. Our guys looked like they expected to play slow pitch soft ball. Beni, especially.
Pitchers gave up 10 walks, which seems gigantic, horrible, etc. My guess is they were trying to avoid gopher balls and just missing. Sale's 4 walks and an HBP did lead to the 2 runs, but he seemed to steady in the 4th. Barnes 2 walks didn't hurt him. Workman's two walks didn't hurt nearly as much as the two dingers but I thought the game was over by the 9th anyway. Our lineup was just totally on its ass.
I'm not saying the Sox can't come back, but am saying this is an ominous start against a very good team.
As much as I like Cora, who has been terrific this year, including the postseason, I'm thinking maybe we need that manager from the Durham Bulls, who took a bunch of bats and threw threw them in the shower. In the end, it is a simple game--you throw the ball, you hit the ball, and you catch the ball. Sox could not do any of those last night at the MLB level.