Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Agree. The 2021 Sox right now have a ferocious lineup that blew away an excellent Rays pitching staff. If jacksonianmarch had read the NY Times today, he would have seen an article saying the Sox overturned the adage, "good pitching beats good hitting." The Rays had the lowest ERA in the AL and before them the Yankees had a good team ERA and their ace Cole on the mound. Facing Schwarber, Kike, Devers, Bogey, Verdugo, JDM, Renfroe, Vazquez, and Arroyo these days is daunting. And the defense is adequate as long as Renfroe chooses his moments when unleashing that arm. Target hit on this year's overall and on the field management, but especially Cora. That said, the 2013 postseason Sox ERA was 2.59, and I don't see this team doing that. On the other hand, these Sox have the lowest postseason ERA in the American League and did it against the Rays (2d most runs scored in AL this year) after having to play the Yankees in the wild card game. Come Friday, the pitching staff will be rested, and four Sox pitchers--Eovaldi, Houck, Pivetta, and ERod--have demonstrated in this postseason they can pitch 4 or 5 good innings against good hitting.
  2. Who seriously thought a week ago this thread was possible? Not me. First the Sox had to beat the Yankees--who most recently swept the Sox at Fenway--and their ace Cole. Then came the Rays, who were and are a tough out, which games 3 and 4 amply demonstrated, what with the best ERA in the AL regular season and the 2d most runs scored--to say nothing of having the home field advantage and not having to play in the wild card game on Tuesday. Now, however, the table is turned. The Sox will be well rested by Friday. We can only hope not too rested, which was part of the Rockies problem in 2007 when the Sox swept them in the WS. Whaddaya think? Disregard this post and thread. Let's go with Yaz's.
  3. He has sucked this season big-time, ERA 4.97, which would have been worse if he hadn't been pretty good in August and September. He got pulled early last Friday because the Sox were down 1 game, Houck was available, and ERod did not have good command, which is essential for him to succeed. I did think he was the only logical choice to start last night and watched every pitch with baited breath. Getting those first three Rays hitters--Arozarena on a line drive and Franco and Lowe on K's--was huge. Ditto the first three innings--no Rays on base. Needing 17 (or was it 18) pitches to K that one guy took a lot of effort and grit, which is probably why he only lasted 5+ innings. But there can be no question this was the good ERod and, given the importance of the game, maybe ERod at his best even though he did not have his good changeup. Four different Sox starters/relievers--Houck, Eovaldi, Pivetta, and ERod--pitched big segments (4 or 5 innings) that were crucial to winning the final three games of the ALDS. Because the Sox had to start Eovaldi Tuesday in the wild card game, the Rays came into this series with a huge advantage. They got beat by a lineup that came alive in game 2 and by segments of exceptional Sox pitching.
  4. I listened to his postgame interview Sunday night (for the first time ever), and he was articulate and team-oriented. I could see why Cora would like him and play him so much.
  5. I probably deserve that because sometimes I do write that way. I just like the discussion and sometimes the arguments. I do try to go back and point out where I was off base. On the other hand, I can't see the harm in claiming the Sox have a real shot at the WS. I mean, they did beat the presumed best team in the AL after first having to use their ace to win the wild card game. And those numbers--best team OPS and best team ERA in the postseason American League--are accurate. Are you rooting for the Astros? Or do you think the White Sox will get to the ALCS?
  6. Apropos of nothing, I just read the NYTimes version of the Sox winning their ALDS. In a nutshell, they said good hitting beat good pitching. To that I would add what I have said before. The final regular season series vs the Nats was absolutely crucial to winning the home field advantage for the wild card game and it was played in a NL park, hence no DH. Nevertheless, Cora went out of his way to play both Schwarber and JDM in all three games. He also went out of his way to get JDM back into the lineup for the final 3 games--all wins--of the ALDS despite his ankle still hurting. So I'm thinking keeping this ALDS line-up (JDM DH and Schwarber 1b) is worthwhile because it's actually the best combo of hitting and defense readily obtainable. Dalbec and Duran on the bench. And I like Iglesias over Arroyo at 2b. We all know this pitching staff stinks to high heaven. Sale is dead. ERod is inconsistent. So is Pivetta. Almost everyone in the bullpen got nailed at least once in this series, even Houck and Pivetta (who did not start). However, this pitching staff also has the lowest ERA, 4.11, of the five American League postseason staffs. Up ahead is the ALCS for further evidence of their ineptitude or, perish the thought, competence. My point is that, while Bloom should definitely be looking for good starters and relievers, he should not spend big. Am I the only who noticed that the Sox won 7 of their last 8 games (including the crucial 3 games series in DC) without a closer? Or that the Sox had a great closer in 2018 and he stunk in the postseason?
  7. What do you mean by issues? Did everyone come down with COVID? Did Eovaldi's arm fall off? I saw no "issues" in game 4. I did see a terrific rally by the Sox against McClanahan, the Rays ace, and after that I saw Tampa climb back into the game with great relief pitching and some hitting--to tying it up in the 8th with 2 runs. They have only done that all season long. Then I saw Whitlock shut them down for the 8th and 9th and Kike drive in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th, which is what the Sox have done all year long. By "issues" do you mean you expected the Rays to roll over and play dead tonight?
  8. Sox now in the ALCS, having beaten both the Yankees and Rays!!! This is already a great season, but the weird thing is they have a real shot at the WS. The hitting is the best it's been all season. And, believe it or not, the Sox have the lowest ERA--despite having to play five games--of the five AL teams in the postseason (including the Yankees).
  9. He lost his changeup, pure and simple. The good news is it was just one terrible inning. I do think we will see him again, but also think the Sox starters, ranked, are Eovaldi, ERod, Pivetta, Houck (who might stay in the bullpen) and maybe Sale. I do think Eovaldi will start Friday and ERod Saturday. I'm guessing Pivetta on Monday, a week from today. If Houck is needed in one of those 3 games, then Sale probably starts game 4.
  10. Astros have to be a little nervous about playing the Sox. Rotation should be our problem, but Eovaldi still looks good, ERod was excellent tonight, and Pivetta has been good in two long relief appearances. With Houck and Whitlock in the bullpen, you gotta like the Sox pitching, which, by the way, has the lowest ERA of the five AL teams in the postseason. The hitting, meanwhile, is just unreal--OPS of .917 after 5 games against the Yankees (Cole) and the Rays. And Cora, who is so much better than those talksox carping critics give him credit for.
  11. Sox have every reason to celebrate because in the last two games the Rays played them very, very tough. Plus the Sox had to play the Yankees Tuesday. The griping about Cora is just horsehockey. No baseball, I think, until Friday. So Eovaldi can start game 1, ERod game 2, and a player to be named later game 3, a week from today. I'm thinking it will be Pivetta.
  12. Nice sacrifice. Too few Sox can do what Arroyo did.
  13. Vazquez, Arroyo, and Dalbec. Hmmm.
  14. It was a very close play thoroughly reviewed. The umpire and the guys in NYC both called him out. Plus the Sox got no hits off Fairbanks, who also didn't come anywhere near a wild pitch.
  15. Fairbanks is the 7th pitcher, and he has been fantastic. No hits in 2 innings. Gets a leadoff 2 run error in the 8th, gets a short fly to right, then a longer fly to centerfield, on which Verdugo should not have run. WEEI guys think he was safe, but have no problem with the final call of out.
  16. My, my, my. Error by Franco, good for 2b for Verdugo.
  17. About 5 minutes or so ago, I would have said you're nuts. Right now, somehow, some way, the Sox need to score after 4 shutout innings.
  18. Sure looks like I spoke too soon. Whitlock was fantastic, especially with that backup play on the insane throw by Renfroe.
  19. Renfroe is mental. Great backup play by Whitlock. ERod never, ever makes the play. Most Sox pitchers don't.
  20. Two doubles. The third was a single, but Renfroe foolishly threw home and the runner advanced.
  21. Surprise, surprise. A late rally by the Rays, slightly helped by less than great outfield defense. Houck stunk tonight, Brasier if anything worse, and now it's up to Whitlock with Franco at the plate. Sure looks like game 5 at the Trop.
  22. Maybe he is slow to the plate, but he throws hard and Devers this year is 5 and 5 on basestealing attempts.
  23. Great pitching, which is why no sac fly.
  24. Great pitching by Fairbanks. He comes in cold with men on 2d and 3d and throws 4 straight fastballs, followed by a slider Bogey could not let go and which turned into a GIDP. Pitcher beats hitter.
×
×
  • Create New...