Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Nice easy run for the Angels in the 2d.
  2. Barria is using just three pitches--fastball, slider, changeup--but he mixes them well and hits some corners. First time through, Sox hitters look befuddled.
  3. You said it was Sale's and I forgot. 25th best is right. It was worse not long ago.
  4. The "no name" offense makes a huge difference. As for the team ERA of 5.01, we are all only too aware of why. But lately some encouraging signs with Sale, Paxton, and Bello. Plus a lot of depth with Crawford and Whitlock back to either start or go to the bullpen.
  5. I remember watching Jim Brown live on TV and agree he was the greatest ever. Big, tough, and fast. Too bad about Ernie.
  6. I'm not sure Barria is a starter this season because his max innings to date is 4--on May 5. On May 17 he pitched 2.2. In 8 appearances in April he pitched a total of 16.1 innings.
  7. I don't agree Turner is a bust at 1B. His DWAR is -0.2 and Casas's is -0.6. I am also a firm believer that you are better off going with the best bats vice the best gloves. The Sox routinely dump great fielding shortstops in pursuit of good hitting ones--and it has worked well. In 2013 the Sox had one brilliant SS in Jose Iglesias and one pretty good one in Stephen Drew. But Xander Bogaerts took over the very next year at age 22 and stayed the Sox regular SS nine straight years. JBJ in CF was kind of an exception, but he too had a couple good hitting seasons (2015 and 2016) and semi-adequate ones (2017 and 2018).
  8. Sometimes. This season it's pretty hard to argue that Cora has mismanaged the lineup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when Duvall returns four of the Sox best hitters--Dugo, Duvall, Duran, and Yoshida--will all be outfielders. My guess is that Yoshida might become the semi-regular DH, Turner take over at 1B and Casas platoon with Turner or whatever.
  9. That's not unfair. But I just glanced at a recent article in SI that argues that starting pitching is becoming less important to pitching staffs.
  10. I'm fine with anyone saying Bloom blew it on Kluber--even though he has been decent in 4 of 8 starts so far this year. But to me the bigger picture has to include Sale, Paxton, and Bello--three pretty good starters. Plus five other possible starters--Houck, Kluber, Crawford, Whitlock, and Pivetta--who can start or help in the bullpen, which already looks pretty decent (even though Schreiber is out and the notorious Bleier is still in).
  11. Strangely enough, Wacha's career year was last year with the Sox: 23 starts, 124 innings, ERA 3.32, WAR 3.3. 2019 with the Cards, 2020 with Mets, and 2021 with the Rays weren't so hot.
  12. You could be right about Nate although right now I'm pretty happy with the resurgence of Sale and Paxton, plus Bello showing signs of sticking. And, as I keep saying (so much everyone is sick of it), when Whitlock returns (soon), Cora will have 5 options for the final two starter slots: Houck and Kluber (the two their now); Crawford and Whitlock, who looked pretty good; and Pivetta, who just moved to the bullpen and is not happy about it. Plus a pretty decent bullpen--aided by whoever among the 5 possibles doesn't start.
  13. Get used to Kike because Story and Mondesi are both July or later. However, Chang should be back next month, June. Duvall should be back next month as well.
  14. Agree. I could be wrong, but my strong impression of his pitching yesterday was that he was definitely working the corners and missing--but not by a lot. On the other hand, he didn't even look good in the 2d inning, which ended with a line drive to Valdez who flipped to Kike at 2B to double up the guy who led the inning off with a double. Kluber has actually been decent in 4 of 8 starts: 5 IP, 1 ER vs Pirates; 6 IP, 1 ER vs Orioles; 5.1 IP and 3 ER vs. Jays, and 5 IP and 3 ER vs Phillies.
  15. Chicken feed. His guaranteed base is $10M--great for him; not good for the Sox. Meanwhile the Padres are paying Wacha $26M for four years. Wacha got off to a slow start, ERA 6.75 in April, but in 4 starts in May his ERA is 0.36 with 25 IP. His season to date ERA is 3.56 with 5 quality starts. It sure looks like Kluber was a bad move, but, while Wacha right now looks terrific, we don't know how he will do over 4 years--which of course was the big stumbling block in keeping him.
  16. I was pretty mad at Kluber today too. But consider the following. In their last 14 games the San Diego Padres are 3-11, which is pretty bad. The winning pitcher all three times was Wacha, and in those three wins/games he gave up a total of 1 run. So, me, I'm thinking: boy, I'm glad Sale, Paxton, or Bloom wasn't starting because our chances of winning this game were pretty slim.
  17. There ain't no such thing as a "good loss," of course, but my preference is for losses--if they must occur (and they must)--to include both lousy pitching and lousy hitting. Plus throw in the error by Valdez. The one not so good aspect is having to use all those bullpen arms because Kluber got pulled after 2.1 innings.
  18. Actually, this game is starting to make sense. First Kluber, who absolutely stunk. Then Bleier who only needed one pitch to stink just as much. And now Pivetta warming up in the bullpen.
  19. That's at least the second time Bleier's done that this season--come in with a man on first, facing a lefty hitter (advantage to the pitcher), and given up a 2 run dinger. Or is it the 3d time?
  20. Bloom let Wacha go and signed Kluber. It's possible he picked the wrong one. I mean it takes a kind of artistry to give up 4 runs on just one hit.
  21. Definitely. However, this winning streak began with Pivetta starting. He's now in the bullpen.
  22. A much better assessment than mine.
  23. I love the concept of WAR, an attempt to assess the whole player. And I love defense because great plays are the poetry of baseball. But hitting and pitching are the prose and the center of baseball. The truth about Red Sox baseball is that hitting has always been the most essential ingredient for winning. Then comes pitching. And defense is a distant 3d. As an example, I think JDM was a huge addition to the roster in 2018 because he simply made the entire lineup better--they realized their potential and had the best Sox season ever. And JDM pretty much sucked at defense when he wasn't the DH. Here are some DWAR's from the 2018 Sox--probably the greatest Sox team ever--Nunez (-1.5); JDM (-1.4); Bogey (-1.0); Devers (-0.9); Benintendi (-0.6); Moreland (-0.5); Pearce (-0.4); Holt (-0.1). What's that Bill Murray chant? "It just doesn't matter; it just doesn't matter; it just doesn't matter." So I frankly don't care what Yoshida's DWAR is. If he hits, he contributes plenty.
×
×
  • Create New...