Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Missed the bag???? Missed touching 1B!!!!!??????
  2. I don't think they're bad, but I sure don't think they're good. Injuries-wise, their luck has been bad.
  3. As well he should be. As George Carlin once said, baseball is all about coming home.
  4. Of course it makes sense--but it's also a little on the weird side. Anyway, thanks for the insight, borrowed or otherwise.
  5. They are nine and freaking nine. The problem, very clearly, is they have to play their home games at the Fens. They are 7-3 on the road.
  6. Wow. Just wow. A gold star by your name today and this week. First time I've ever read about that rule.
  7. I wasn't going to put it exactly that way, but I entirely agree he exudes confidence. When Whitlock leaves the mound, he's like Willy Loman after another bad trip.
  8. Cora asked me for more time on the lineup, and told him it's not that hard.
  9. Lively, RHP vs Houck, RHP Guardians now 12-5 and the Sox 9-9 (and 2-6 at Fenway Park). Attendance last night was 30K, so maybe the natives are getting restless. In addition to the errors and the weak hitting, the pitching is struggling, especially the bullpen.
  10. Everything you say in defense of Jansen is true. He has been unbelievably successful--and was as recently as last season. However, last night he threw cutters--same speed, same amount of break, but different locations in and out of the strike zone--on almost every pitch. I saw exactly one slider. As a result, the Guardians hit him hard, but fortunately two line drives were catchable, as was the final out grounder to 2b. Right now his WHIP is 1.80, which ain't so hot, and it's because in 6.2 innings he has given up 4 hits and 8 walks. So, good for you that you believe he's still great, still wonderful, but he scares the daylights out of me. Last night Cleveland absolutely pounded him because he was throwing very hittable stuff.
  11. Just a side comment. Two of the prevailing themes on this thread--"A Realistic View of 2024, Part II"--are that John Henry isn't spending enough on players and that the Red Sox seem incapable of finding/getting a decent SS. Indeed, over on the Defense thread, it's almost entirely about the lack of a decent defensive SS. So I'd just like to point out that in fact JH and his CBO, Chaim Bloom, did spring for fairly big bucks for Trevor Story, who I think everyone agrees is a pretty good defensive SS and even 2B. I think everyone also agrees that Story is a better defensive SS than Xander Bogaerts was. Relatedly--since we all know that Trevor Story's primary inadequacy is his propensity to get hurt--it's worth mentioning that in the first 3 weeks of the 2024 season Story, O'Neill, Devers, Pivetta, and Whitlock have all been injured to varying degrees.
  12. I actually like the new version with the guy on 2b. It usually prevents games that go on forever.
  13. I could be wrong, but I believe Jansen threw all cutters in the 9th except for one slider. That's why they hit him hard even when they made outs. Tonight the Sox showed some signs of life, but the bullpen once again stunk, plus the defense and baserunning (Casas) weren't so great.
  14. Wonderful, even graphic descriptions--and also irrelevant when the Sox lose 6-0. The Sox lineup couldn't hit spit and the bullpen collapsed after Crawford pitched 5.2 scoreless innings. As for the collision between O'Neill and Devers, it was a freak accident--head to head. Devers, I hasten to add, made a clean catch of the ball before colliding with O'Neill, so I'm not as sure as you that he was at fault. I mean, the rest of your diatribe was directed against players who didn't catch the ball, but here you want to throw Devers in jail when he did catch it.
  15. While I agree with the notion that some fielding coaches are better than others, I would also point out that with or without coaching most of us start learning how to field at a pretty early age. It's easier to practice fielding (and throwing) than hitting. Plus when I read the write-ups in Sox Prospects they provide great detail on the fielding ability and potential of incoming players like Marcelo Mayer. However, I also have the strong impression that the Rays in particular have a very systematic approach to teaching/coaching/training pretty much all of the baseball skills--fielding, throwing, pitching, hitting, etc. I say that because the Rays have been in the bottom five teams in total salaries for decades and have fielded competitive teams going back to 2008. Not every year, of course, but lots of years.
  16. And it really worked well. Sox lost today, 6-0, not because the defense stunk, but because Cleveland simply outpitched the Sox. To be more precise, their bullpen outpitched ours. And shortstops were completely irrelevant.
  17. Cleveland outplays the Sox every which way you can. Sox are now 2-5 at the Fens. Appropriately, I think average attendance in those 7 games is about 30K.
  18. My bad. Our real problems today had nothing to do with defense. Our lineup couldn't hit and our bullpen couldn't get guys out. In fact--and unless the Sox score 2 in the 9th--the crucial mistake was the 8th pitch Weissert threw to pinch-hitter Brennan in the 7th inning.
  19. Doesn't make much difference because the Sox are scoreless.
  20. Hamilton replaced the injured player O'Neill. So Duran moved to LF and Rafaela to CF and Hamilton to SS. Hamilton was pretty good the last two games @ SS.
  21. Now those plays were clownish, which are to be expected of both Casas and Abreu.
  22. I don't consider that play to be silly. It was an in-between pop with both players trying hard to get it. Why wouldn't we want them to do that? Bumping heads was simply unfortunate.
  23. You routinely make some of the most unintelligent observations about Sox games. Both teams have excellent pitching: Sox ERA is 1st in MLB and the Guardians is 4th. So the starters, as expected, pitched shutout ball. Now Cleveland is up by 2 because they pinch hit after Cora brought in a righty and Brennan, a lefty bat, hit the 2 run dinger off a slider on the 8th pitch which I think he was looking for. Weissert either doesn't have a change-up or didn't feel up to throwing one.
  24. Both starters have been effective so far this year--Curry and Crawford. Bernardino staying in to pitch the 7th and against righty bat Ramirez who I think swung at a pitch that may have hit him. And he gets his required 3 outs and exits stage right.
×
×
  • Create New...