Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Most credit for Narvaez has to go to Breslow. Ditto for Crochet and of course Bregman and maybe even Chapman. I agree completely with "owes our slumping hitters NOTHING."
  2. Devers is on this team for his bat. Right now he's ranked 4th in MLB in OPS, .972, the highest of his career, also 1st in MLB in rbi's, 6th in total bases, 4th in walks, etc. And don't forget that Raffy was repeatedly pilloried (a term with special meaning in New England) on talksox for his subpar defense. I honestly think his current success is because of moving to DH. He even leads MLB in games played. What Alex Mayers failed to point out is that Bregman is simply irreplaceable. Bravo for Breslow in getting him because he was/is the perfect partner in the lineup with Raffy and also a good defensive thirdbaseman. Cora and Breslow should try to ensure that the 9 best bats are regularly in the lineup, so I think the best choice at 3B is Sogard, but I would also be fine with moving Mayer up to play 3b.
  3. Good cautionary note. It has always fascinated me that MLB teams have 26 on their active rosters--almost invariably 13 pitchers and 13 lineup players. If MLB upped the 26 (which used to be 25) to 28, my guess is most teams would go with 15 pitchers. The Sox right now have 1 backup catcher, 2 backup infielders, 1 backup outfielder, and 1 full-time DH--and that seems to be about all they need or want.
  4. Right off the top we can be sure Crochet got screwed by the bullpen, who then turned around and gave some of his wins to Ferris's son, who didn't deserve them. Looks like Bello got lucky too. Houck got what he deserved, and so did Dobbins. Giolito, Mr Box of Chocolates, has 2 quality starts to go with 12 runs in 7.2 innings in the other two starts.
  5. Exactly. Plus it would be good for the fans at Fenway. They loved him.
  6. Boy, do I hope I am wrong and you are dead right about Yoshida. But I just as vehemently think Devers to 1b right now risks what looks to be his best hitting season ever. Think Ortiz and JDM. Why not Anthony at 1b? He's 6'3", not especially fast in the outifield, where he does take bad routes now and then, plus he doesn't have that good an arm.
  7. How about Mayer, who is almost certainly a better defensive SS than Story, to SS, Story to 2b, and Campbell to 1b? Also, Campbell's DWAR at 2b so far is -0.6. I do like your comment on Hamilton at 2b. In 22 games his DWAR is +0.3 and his OPS in May (12 games) is .871.
  8. Agree completely he was off to a slow start. But the topic is replacing exactly that player, the one who was off to a slow start and had a negative WAR. Did you know he missed 5 games in April? TTwo years ago with Casas having an excellent rookie season (132 games, OPS .856), the Sox were 11th in runs scored. Last year they were 9th when Casas played just 63 games. And this year they are tied for 6th with Casas playing just 29 of 50 games. Would I like to see the 2023 Casas starting at 1B? You bet I would. But right now I don't think he is badly missed. Meanwhile, the Sox team ERA is ranked 17th in MLB, which is why the Sox are just 25-25. I honestly think Casas' absence is an opportunity to move someone to 1b and thereby make it possible to bring up Mayer and/or Anthony. I'm glad Devers was not moved because as the DH he looks like he is headed for his best ever season at the plate.
  9. A fair point. However, the title of article is wrong because Casas was having a horrible season when he was injured. His DWAR after just 28 games was -0.6, and his OPS was .580. Seriously, how hard can it be to replace those numbers? That said, the point about Mayer is a good one. If Campbell can handle 1B, then Mayer can move into 2b or even SS with Story moving to 2b. On the other hand, Breslow's fix was to move Raffy from DH to 1B with the obvious intent to allow Yoshida and his $105M contract to be the DH. So far the evidence is that Devers is flourishing as the DH as Ortiz and JDM did before him. What bandaid? Almost anyone could replace the 2025 Casas, he of the -0.6 DWAR and .580 OPS. Gonzalez, if he can ever come off the IL, would be an improvement over Casas.
  10. Ok, let's put this BS to bed right now. Go to espn or wherever you can find MLB team stats. Now look at the team fielding stats and be prepared for a shock. The very best fielding percentage in MLB right now is a gorgeous, wonderful 99%. However, the no good lowdown last place team has a fielding percentage of 98%. That's right. Between the best and the worst is 1% in fielding percentage. It is therefore essential to know how well a given player (or team) is handling the tough plays.
  11. One more time. While I too was outraged by what happened tonight, I have to remind everyone that baseball is a sport, played and umpired by humans. Nobody on the field gets to look at the rectangle defining the strike zone. That doesn't prevent me from getting pissed off at bad calls, but then I remember the rectangle is not real. In this case neither the bad strike call nor the two ejections in the 3d inning prevented the Sox from winning a close game. In fact, the radio guys were saying that winning this game after the ejections might be a turning point.
  12. This is like the 5th time I've listened to the radio announcers and I think they are terrific. They stay focused on the game and have a lot of good comments, stats, etc. More important is that these 2 wins vs the Mets could be the beginning of the big turnaround if only because both wins were pretty amazing--and the pitching, especially the bullpen, was great in both games. The defense, even with Campbell in CF, Hamilton at 2b, and Sogard at 1b, was excellent tonight. Also neat: 4 double plays in these 2 games. Hamilton looks way better than Campbell at 2b. I have beat up on Breslow a lot, but I do think he is an improvement over CB. If the Sox play as well as we think they can, Breslow gets a lot of credit for Bregman, Crochet, and Narvaez.
  13. Probably. I think his rage at the ump was honest, but I think he also likes to give Vazquez opportunities to show what he can do.
  14. Probably not, but Skenes youth and two very good seasons make him pretty valuable. And the Sox aren't knee deep in quality starters.
  15. Sox were flat lucky last night and have absolutely no chance to win tonight. Completely outclassed. A bunch of losers. Plus Cora is back. 50-1, Mets.
  16. Mays' career total was 156 and Ruth's was 162, if that's what you mean. I would not object if anyone chose Ruth over Mays, but I still go with the five tool player.
  17. He has batted 9th all season and is 6th in rbi's, 4th in runs scored, and tied for 4th in WAR with 1.7. He is tied for the MLB lead in DWAR (1.1) among centerfielders. He is 24 and should be pretty useful until age 31 or so, which is when the wheels came off for JBJ. Jimmy Piersall, the Sox centerfielder who famously said, "I should get double my salary because I have to cover left field as well as center field," was pretty solid from age 23 (WAR 3.2) through age 31 (WAR 4.8). I remember listening to the pregame, circa 1954, when Piersall and Willie Mays had a throwing contest from CF to home plate. Jimmy was 24 and Willie 23. 1954 was the first year Mays' WAR was 10 or higher. He did that six times and had 3 seasons at 9.2, 9.5, and 9.0. When he was 39 he had 28 stolen bases. He hit 660 dingers. He was awarded 12 gold gloves. He was the greatest MLB player ever.
×
×
  • Create New...