Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Meh. The Sox are playing their 4th Division leader in 2+ weeks and are 5-5 (1-2 @ Cubs, 1-2 @ Phillies, 2-1 Dodgers, and 1-0 Astros)--which includes last night's win. You seem to think the Sox lost. Sox rbi leaders, both at 75 rbi's, are Duran and Rafaela. Duran has led off most of the season, and Rafaela has stayed near the bottom of the order. Last night the Sox two rbi's were by Anthony in the 1 spot and Abreu batting 8th.. I personally would not have batted Toro 4th, but I trust Cora's lineups. I would be delighted if Devers were our first baseman, but he chose not to do that. Now he's at the Giants, who have basically collapsed since his arrival.
  2. Anyone here remember the pricey but very good Sox pitching staff of 2018 with studs like Sale, Price, Porcello, ERod, Kimbrel, Eovaldi, et al? Their team ERA was 3.74, ranked 8th in MLB.. This year's no good, stinking, rotten pitching staff which Breslow refused to get any real help for has a team ERA of 3.74, ranked 8th in MLB. The Sox are now play their 4th Division leader in 2+ weeks and are 5-5 (1-2 @ Cubs, 1-2 @ Phillies, 2-1 Dodgers, and 1-0 Astros). Meanwhile the local and national sports press--and a bunch of us here on talksox--have said the Sox midseason acquisitions have doomed the Sox to failure. Kind of reminds me of the local and national sports press announcing the Sox were dead, dead, dead when they sent Devers to the Giants. To be honest, I loved Devers as the DH here, but also thought sending him away was necessary.
  3. You need a course in anatomy because thinking with your balls is a losing proposition. The Sox already sold Devers to the Giants. How did that go? As for buying, I would have loved to have seen Breslow get a terrific starter. So would the rest of the known universe want their CBO's to do the same thing. And guess how many teams want to fork over a great starter? Tonight the Sox played their 4th Division leader in about two weeks, and their record against them now stands at 5-5. So just maybe this team is good enough with the guys they kept plus the 2 guys they acquired.
  4. He sure was. We all love Anthony's huge hit in the 10th, but it was the Sox pitching that made this game winnable.
  5. Poor Vaughn. Poor, poor Vaughn. The Sox know him one heckuva lot better than you or I, and they picked Hamilton instead and despite his lousy OPS. He's good on defense and fast on the basepaths. That's why his Wins Above Replacement is +0.3 this year and +2.8 over 3 seasons.
  6. Meh. I agree Devers is the better hitter, but I also think his absence has improved the teamwork in the clubhouse and on the field. Tonight's game is a reminder that Devers was/is just one bat in a 9 player lineup. The Sox won tonight against a tough Astros team because of superb pitching.. Criswell surprised the heck out of all of us, and then the bullpen was lights out for 4 innings--helped by a great throw from Story to nail the guy going home in the 10th. To me the real replacement for Devers is Anthony, who came up a week before Devers left--and we never missed Devers!!
  7. I'm talking more about style and presence than accomplishments. Both were/are tall, had/have a good eye for balls and strike, and showed their ability in their first year. . However, to me it's a dead heat between Ruth and Williams as to who was the greatest hitter ever. In his rookie year, age 21, Williams OPS was freaking 1.049 in 149 games. No way do I put Anthony in their company,--which doesn't trouble me the least little bit. Anthony is still amazing.
  8. Could not agree more. Unbelievable win with Criswell going against Brown. Despite 3 errors--2 by Sox pitchers--the defense really helped tonight.
  9. On to the 10th. Abreu almost did it--and against a lefty at that.
  10. Absolutely unreal. I figured him for 1 or 2 IP and giving up 3 or 4 runs. Long after I became a Sox fan, I lived in Oklahoma and the only games I could get were the Astros, and those were only on radio. "Little" Joe Morgan was on that team before he went to Cincy (and glory).
  11. I became a Sox fan largely because of Curt Gowdy calling the games on radio a little over 70 years ago. And I kind of like the NESN radio guys. But I much prefer to see the games.
  12. By the way, Apple is giving us the Astros feed. At Fenway Park.
  13. He absolutely was. Abysmal bottom of the 8th by Anthony, Bergman, and Duran.
  14. I feel for you because it infuriates me when MLB does this on games we've already paid for. Quite by accident, when I switched to AT&T I discovered I received the home station, MASN, for the Orioles and Nationals games, which are actually on my blackout list. Same goes for Atlanta games, and I get their station too. 3 errors by the Sox, 2 of them by pitchers. None led to unearned runs. Whitlock is on a very good streak--1 ER in his last 11.1 IP.
  15. Good rejoinder. I say it because I want it to be true. Masterful stats by you.
  16. Great 3d strike pitch by Brown--called a ball by the ump. Sox have runners on 1st and 2d with nobody out.
  17. Try to keep, up, Fred. I said that tonight the Sox have hurt themselves by not swinging at first pitch strikes or even second pitch strikes. And they've shown little hesitation in swinging at 3d strikes that are outside the strike zone.
×
×
  • Create New...