Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. A soupcon of hope in the bottom of the 8th and hitting for the cycle--dinger, triple, double, and single. Three runs even. Game still out of reach, but tomorrow's game might not already be lost even with Porcello starting.
  2. I was right there with you--high as a kite, and ready to take on anyone in the ALDS.
  3. Damn. All the more reason to hope I'm full of it.
  4. Meh. We definitely missed Nunez big time, but he did not have him on that fantastic 8-1 road trip. Betts definitely a big loss. But that's it. Young did get the only double and only rbi. Beni and Devers looked awful but haven't been and certainly during that road trip. JBJ was lousy when we were winning and we still liked his defense, which helped us to win at least one game during that streak. Leon is in there to catch--that's the agreement. Marrero was/is needed for his defense and does have the righty bat vs. the lefty Happ, plus didn't he hit the ball hard a couple times? He certainly was a better choice at 2b than Holt or Pedey (who himself is in a slump among other issues).
  5. Look, I don't like the guy one darn bit. But he's paid for and last year did very well. Apparently he has been hurt this year. So I think a bounce back in 2018 is entirely possible.
  6. Clearly, I never took a course like that, but don't do half bad at that very thing when the situation calls for it. I love moonslav and Kimmi's optimism and definitely want them to be right and, in this case, me very wrong. Meanwhile, why not take a shot at my no doubt unfounded, even specious assessment. Shoot it down, please.
  7. For me it's not boring. Really painful given the implications for the remaining 5 games, but not boring. I think it's very possible we are watching the demise of great hopes before this series with the Jays began. Our #1 and #2 starters have been demolished on consecutive nights, and tomorrow the great Porcello will be in charge of keeping this boat afloat. Almost as bad, we can't be sure if Nunez will ever return to the lineup or when Betts will. We could well be losing three straight while the Yankees win three straight, thereby closing to 2 games with 4 to play and us going against the Astros.
  8. Meh. I don't much like him either, especially this year. But in this case I think we need to give Happ some credit--he pitched him perfectly.
  9. That HanRam K with 2 men on showed the fundamental difference between a pitcher like Happ and basically any of ours. He threw four straight pitches low and away. One changeup and one 2-seamer were rightfully called balls, but Happ stayed there until the count was 2-2. Then he threw a four seamer 95 mph on the inside waist high and HanRam was helpless. Most of our guys can throw a decent fastball on the inside corner, but none is able to throw four in a row, 2 for strikes, low and away. No one.
  10. Stunning work by the lineup. After the miracle double by Young with no one out in the 1st, the Sox have made 15 straight outs.
  11. I am incredulous at the comments about Sale not pitching tonight in order to rest him for the postseason. But maybe I do understand. By not starting Sale, Farrell could have sent out Porcello, followed by ERod, Pom, Fister, and, oh yes, Porcello again for the last game of the season. The Yankees meanwhile will be down 3 after tonight and continue with their hot streak while the Sox rotation is shredded and the lineup continues to struggle as it has for big chunks of this season. I am exaggerating only a little to make this point. Last year the consensus on talksox, reiterated ad nauseum, was the Farrell rested guys which cost the Sox the homefield advantage. Imagine the furor this year if the Sox don't even win the AL East. Either way, it will be so, so nice to blame Farrell for not using the right players at the right time. If he doesn't start Sale tonight, he's trying to lose now. If he does start him, he's not resting him for the postseason. But it's gotcha either way.
  12. Six days ago he was lights out, one of his best starts this year.
  13. Maybe not, but it is also 100% bs. I'm surprised at you. Sale had one of his best starts of the season six days ago and you are saying he should have been shut down. Utter nonsense.
  14. He is on six days rest. Are you seriously suggesting he should have been shut down until the postseason?
  15. A very disheartening game given our ace on the mound giving up now three porcellos.
  16. Happ working the corners way better than Sale and doesn't need K's to get easy outs. Of course, our lineup tonight ain't that hard to pitch to either.
  17. All signs bad in our game. After Young's miracle double in the 1st, hitless and runnerless. Sale too is struggling with very high pitch count to go with the two Porcellos.
  18. Thanks, Youk. Against lefty Happ-- 1 Bogaerts SS 2 Young RF 3 Benintendi LF 4 Ramirez DH 5 Travis 1B 6 Devers 3B 7 Marrero 2B 8 Leon C 9 JBJ CF Suspect bats among those 9: Young (ugh); HanRam; Leon; JBJ. Pedey still out no doubt because of the slump. Betts out because of the hand/wrist. Nunez because of the knee. Not good. Sale going on 6 days rest, and he needs to be great.
  19. Now that a few folks have agreed ERod and Price might actually be better than POM, I would like to return to the title of this thread and agree with those who argue Pom has worked out. I don't like him, but his numbers are pretty darn good, and there can be no doubt he was badly needed this year. To me he has indeed been worth it. In 2013 we let a great fielding SS--Iglesias--go to Detroit so we could pick up Jake Peavy as a partial replacement for Buchholz. Peavy wasn't that great in 2013, but he was enough and therefore worth it when the Sox went all the way. I only regret the loss of Iglesias because I really enjoy great defensive plays.
  20. That's how I see it too. I just find it hard to second guess guys with more information and more experience. Eck and Remy are paid to discuss stuff like that, whether or not they second guess Farrell. Heck, it's a good story precisely because Nunez was returning from the DL and is pretty valuable. Funny no one has pointed out that Farrell brought him back as the DH to minimize the risk to the knee. Plus he had him run the bases Sunday to demonstrate how the knee was affecting him. There is no way, no how Nunez had not taken plenty of swings at real pitches during his time on the DL. Plus this. I think the damage was done on that first swing and that the second swing and the line out did no further damage. If there was an error, it was bringing Nunez back too soon, but a lot of people who should know thought he was ready, and indeed so he appeared in his first at bat when he doubled and later scored.
  21. Wow. Sale did that? Very unusual from a dedicated professional like him. As you say, it had to be the front office drove him to do something dramatic. Heck, for all we know, his goal was to encourage them to let him go.
  22. For Sox righty hitters, Manny get my vote too. When he entered the HOF Mays said in all honesty he never saw anyone better, and I'm inclined to agree with that. He hit over 600 dingers before PED's, and he was a terrific centerfielder with a great arm and great eye for the ball, and he ran the bases well. His lifetime BA was only around .300, maybe lower, but I don't care. He also played well past his prime, and I'm fine with that too. He also missed 266 games in 1952-3--after getting Rookie of the Year in 1951--because he was drafted into the Army thanks to the Korean War (but he didn't go to Korea).
  23. Oh, he's our #2 starter, not much doubt about that. But, I say again, he's our #2 largely because Price has been on the DL for big chunks of the season and came back too late to be a viable starter in the postseason. Porcello stinks this season despite the Cy Young last year. All those dingers are the result of his over-reliance on the fast ball and his inability to keep the ball low in the strike zone in an era when those shifts almost guarantee outs if the batter will hit a grounder. I think ERod right now is a better pitcher than Pom but agree he hasn't proven it yet. Lately, he's been pretty darn good, but, sadly, that could vanish. Heck, I still like Fister, but these days that's a hard sell. Right now, despite my grievances about Pom, I think he is a sure starter in the first 3 games of the ALDS. If ERod gets another good start and Pom fumbles his next, maybe ERod is the #2. Porcello is still #4. And I'm not sure what happens to Fister. And thank goodness Price right now represents a pretty good long reliever--say, 3 innings, maybe 4--if one of the starters falters.
  24. Exactly. To me it also means he is the complete professional on the mound and and in working on his pitching between starts. He takes nothing for granted despite his immense talent.
  25. What did Sale do with his uniform? I feel like I just fell off the rutabaga truck.
×
×
  • Create New...