Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Of the bottom 4--ERod, Pom, Porcello, and Fister--the guy whose technique I like the most is Fister. He does not have great stuff, but he does have a variety and, when he is on, he uses it well. ERod and Porcello have better stuff, but normally can't keep the ball low and tend to over rely on their fast ball. Pom has a better curve than anyone, but also can't put it in the right places--ditto his 94-95 mph fast ball. As was the case last night, I see this game as similar to the postseason--must win. If Fister pitches well tonight, he could well become our 4th postseason starter.
  2. Fascinating. Save as last night but that one change--JBJ needs a day off to think things over. To hit or not to hit, that is the question.
  3. Then the expression three days rest is off by 20 hours. Or, in the case of four days rest they take away 20 hours for travel or something. When I look at a starting pitcher's game log, I simply subtract the date of one start from the date of the next, and it is invariably 5 days or 6 days and almost never 4 days. So my numerology makes a lot more sense than the conventional one.
  4. That's not all on Boyer. lousy support from the infield except Pedey.
  5. Why does it seem that almost every starter we face seems to know how to keep the ball low, but none of our guys seem to? I mean, what's the point of using all those shifts when the starter is encouraging the opposing batters to put the ball in the air?
  6. CArlos Pena is now talking about 2007.
  7. Is that Joe West behind the plate? He really screwed Boyer over.
  8. I have closde captions for the NESN feed and think the guys in the booth tonight just want to bs about whatever.
  9. ERod didn't look tired to me. Too pumped up, more like. He couldn't command his pitches and fell back on fast balls, especially fat ones.
  10. Pretty clear ERod ain't no 2. What a choker in a big game.
  11. Exactly right. Last night's game had that quality as well even though the Jays were just spoilers. No question we badly needed that win. Peacock has the better ERA, but I like ERod tonight because he is starting to look like a real starter in his last 4 games. I'm guessing Betts is back in RF too. In fact, I see-- Bogie Pedey Beni Betts Moreland HanRam Devers Vazquez JBJ Probably the wrong order, but I see those guys in the lineup against a righty starter. Honestly, people, I made that lineup up without benefit of Station 13 or wherever got the right lineup from.
  12. As one sort of old time (fan since 1949), I like that a lot. I admit my prejudice against Pom and will be happy with whatever Farrell decides. My sense is Farrell with stay with the guys who got the Sox here.
  13. Oh, I like that. Totally wrong of course because Fister is out behind the wood shed getting beat up for failing to do his job. But I like Fister nonetheless.
  14. We just count differently. I assume a pitcher begins to rest his arm the instant the game is over. Assuming the next game is at the same time of day (7 pm and 7 pm), that's 20 hours of rest plus the three days in between.
  15. Cluck, cluck. In this era of climate change, I even remain doubtful about the sky above us (to say nothing of the oceans). I definitely like where we are and agree the Yankees would kill to be where we are. Our number is 2, which means we can win 1 of 4 and they can win 3 of 4 and we still win the AL East. Still, the Astros just swept the Rangers, killing them in all 3 games-- in TX and have won 13 of their last 15. If they can sweep us, they can tie the Guardians if Cleveland only wins 3 of their next 4. And their 4 next starters, even without Verlander, our on our par or better than our 4. Plus these guys are hitting up a storm and lead MLB in runs with 845.
  16. I call that bold talk from a one-eyed fat man.
  17. That's the difference between you and me. A week ago I thought it was a lock. But going into last night's game, Estrada vs. Porcello with Betts and Nunez out, I thought the Yankees would close to 2 games with 4 to go and our 4 all against the Astros, who are playing well and in position to get the homefield advantage over the Guardians. The Yankees go against TB one more time, then the Jays. Even now I worry some because Houston is still hot and our rotation is showing signs of weakness.
  18. Game 1 is Oct 5 and game 4 is October 9, 4 days rest. If we are up 2-1 in games, I probably go with Porcello and use Sale in game 5, October 11, on 6 days rest. If we are down 1-2 in games, I probably go with Sale.
  19. OP question is much too easy. Better for me is, who is your number 2? The WAR and the whole season argue strongly for POM, but ERod has better stuff--by a good margin--and lately (last 4 starts, average 6 innings and 5 ER's given up) has shown better command of those pitches. So, me, I want to see what those two do against the Astros this week. If ERod does great and Pom struggles again, ERod is my #2. Some guys like to go with the hot bat. I like to go with the hot arm. Plus, as some of you probably know, I am not a big Pomeranz fan even though I agree entirely he was a huge bonus for the rotation this year, especially when Price went on the DL (twice?) and Porcello was horrendous. If our rotation is decent, it's mostly because of Sale and Pom. But what worries me about Pom he is a starter with basically two pitches--knuckle curve and fast ball. He's a lefty who faces 75% or more righty bats and still does not have a viable changeup.
  20. Back to Porcello. I hate that he can't seem to keep the ball low and relies too much on his fastball. My solution would be to extend his pregame warm-up for however long it takes for him to demonstrate he has command of all his pitches. If this shortens the number of innings he can pitch, so be it. The Sox only have 5 starters, so I think all 5 are still in the mix for the 4 needed. Sale is in for sure. Pom, Fister, and ERod all have a chance against Houston to prove they should make the cut, with Fister clearly the long shot. If he bombs tomorrow night, I think Porcello is #4. If he has a quality start, Farrell might have a tough decision on #4. Interestingly, I don't think either one would be good as a long reliever. That job belongs to Price anyway. I honestly don't see Pom or ERod dropping out of the rotation at this point. Pom has been decent to good all season. ERod has very good stuff and lately seems to have better command.
  21. Sale's three best consecutive starts this season, all shutouts, were the first three games after the ASG and 9 days of rest. October 5 is 9 days after September 26. That too me is the best plan for Sale at this point, but it also means the Sox will have to win the AL East without him unless Farrell uses him in relief. Pitching Sale on 1-2 days rest is just nonsense to support a cockamammie theory. Aren't you one of those who have bought into the theory that Sale should have been pitching a lot less going back to August 1? If winning on October 1 guarantees the AL East which can't be won before that date, then maybe Sale does pitch on that day.
  22. Right now Betts's WAR is 6.0, 2d best RF in AL, JBJ's 3.0, 7th best CF in AL, and Beni's 2.7, 3d best LF in AL. This year JBJ's OPS's were decent to great in May, June, and August, and awful in April, July, and September. His hitting has been off and on liek that virtually since he came into the Sox system. Sometimes he seems completely incapable of seeing the ball. Sometimes he just can't hit the ball squarely. He leads the team in K's with 122 in 471 at bats, almost exactly 1 in 4. His best OPS's are with runners on and RISP--.838 and .820-- and his worst are with the bases empty or when he leads off an inning--.640 and .697.
  23. Well said. I regularly gripe about Porcello, but I think the coaches and manager have more information and experience to make the right judgment on Porcello. After the first inning and my constant raving about what a bum he was, I pretty much settled down and rooted for him the next 4.2 innings. Too many talksoxer's are more than willing to dump a starter at the first sign of trouble, regardless of the inning or for that matter the score. It's like being at the Coliseum in Rome and seeing those early thumbs down. And it carries over. Cemented in the boo birds minds is the stark reality that Farrell blew it again.
×
×
  • Create New...