Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Dalbec, Dalbec, he's our man; if he can't do it, nobody can!
  2. Another gigantic walk!!!!! Boy, do our hitters know what they are doing or what? Tying run at the plate!!!!
  3. See that graphic just now on the screen? 46 years ago was the last time the Sox were shut out on opening day.
  4. Meh. This one game is tantamount to the entire season for me, living in NC. I figure to watch maybe one game a month live.
  5. What was it Casey Stengel said at the 1962 Mets spring training. "Doesn't anyone here know how to play this game?"
  6. The good news: this is just one game in a 162 game season. That's also the bad news.
  7. True. Our bullpen already stinks to high heaven.
  8. Barn door now shut, but horse is long gone.
  9. Looks like the Orioles showed up to play baseball, even in very cold weather. Except for Eovaldi, the Sox look like they want to be back at Fort Myer. Except for No hitting, fielding, or bullpen.
  10. I don't see the Sox coming back. Lineup--one lousy single in six innings--and bullpen (22 pitches, 10 strikes) have "loser" written all over them.
  11. Like I said. Interesting how many times Andriese shook off Vazquez before giving up that double.
  12. Sox stink again. Perfect start to the season. 1 lousy hit combined with a rotten bullpen.
  13. 90--and that's an optimistic number.
  14. I moved to Greensboro, NC last summer and discovered four things: 1) Blackout Restrictions apply here in a state that has no MLB team; 2) my "home team" is the Washington Nationals, which is 250 road miles away; 3) If the Nationals are playing, I am blacked out everywhere--cable, online, you name it--from watching the Sox play; 4) if the Nationals aren't playing but the Atlanta Braves are, I'm still blacked out from Sox games. I did some cursory reading and discovered that regional networks--I think that's the term--provide about $2.1B in annual income to MLB. Because of that, they insist that the entire country be divided up among them. There are no gaps. One article pointed out that five different MLB franchises have some claim on the residents of Iowa, which of course also has no MLB team. As for the Sox, only New Englanders can get Sox games live, and I think small parts of CT and RI belong to the Yankees (or Mets). Feel free to contradict or elaborate on the above.
  15. Today's NYTimes column on the occasion of Mark Shields final show on the PBS News Hour-- One story sticks in my mind. In 2004, the Red Sox fell behind the Yankees three games to none in the American League Championship Series. The Sox miraculously won the next four games and took the series. Mark went to a bunch of those games, including the final one at Yankee Stadium. After that game Mark lingered in his seat. Memories flooded over him as sweet tears flowed — a lifetime of games with his mother and father, this magnificent victory they never got to see, the century of heartbreaks now overcome. Mark and the other Sox fans just sat there, refusing to leave, absorbing this new victorious feeling, a hint of justice in the universe. I like to think that was God’s way of saying, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”
  16. I am actually amazed that MLB, which is mostly seen on TV or online and not in person, has done as well as it has. I think a huge number of Americans enjoy actually playing the game--t-ball, softball, little league, over-60 leagues, whatever--because we are on the field and involved. To a degree that experience is repeated when we actually go to a ball park to see a game. But on TV we become aware that there's a whole lot of dead time in MLB. Not just all the little quirks and mannerisms of pitchers and batters which delay the game unnecessarily, but even when the ball is in play. I don't have the numbers, but if we assume 240 total pitches are thrown in a game--that's when the ball is in play--less than half involve anyone other than the pitcher, catcher, and batter. Relatedly, it occurs to me that showing that rectangle of the strike zone is probably a neat idea for TV viewing because we can all rant at any call by the ump we don't like. However we react to pitches inside or outside the strike zone, that rectangle keeps us focused on the time-honored confrontation between pitcher and batter and blissfully unaware that the other 7 defensive players are just sort of out there and the other 8 offensive players are just sort of in the dugout. If there are baserunners, sabermetrics now tells all managers to ensure that their baserunners do as little as possible to advance on their own: stealing bases is for dummies only. Oh, and let's not forget that most pitchers will throw to 1B at least once when a baserunner is there, with maybe 1 in 30 resulting in a pickoff. Contrast the above with hockey, football, soccer, and basketball--all sports which involve every player on both teams (within the allowed limits on players on the field or court) throughout the time when the ball is officially in play. I think most fans (like me) who basically only watch games on TV, have to buy into the notion that baseball is centered around that confrontation between hitter and pitcher. On the one hand, most of us remember what Ted Williams, one of the greatest hitters ever, said, that hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely is the most difficult skill in all of sports. On the other, we have to appreciate how very, very difficult it is for pitchers to throw hard, throw accurately (about as accurately as a knife thrower from 20 feet) from 66 feet, and throw with a variety of spins and motions. I frankly like that kind of baseball, and it is definitely one of the reasons why I got so mad when Cash pulled Snell. To me the freaking software, like a deus ex machina, had inserted itself into a great game and denied real baseball fans from watching baseball at its finest. Oh, and I do like this thread and it's title. And I had almost no parental influence on my baseball fandom. It was fate: I spent 15 months, two baseball seasons, ages 12-13 in West Springfield MA, while my dad was overseas, and I got to listen to every Sox game called by Curt Gowdy, with baseball cards in hand. 1953-54 were not good Sox years, but 1953 was the year Williams came back from the Korean War in August and ended up hitting .407 with 13 home runs and 34 RBIs in 37 games and 110 at bats. I did not become a real fanatic until settling, age 60, in N. Virginia and realized I could get all the Sox games on satellite tv (later verizon fios).
  17. Well, it certainly looks as though my hyperbole has me boxed in--by you. Well done. I can't resist a story my dad loved to tell. He played HS football in western MA about 90 years ago. His story, which was made up, went like this. It was the end of the season with one game to go--between two teams which were arch rivals. One was heavily favored, the other was determined, and managed to keep the score tied until very late in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, their backup quarterback was injured and taken from the game when they were deep in their own territory--on their own 20 yard line. Before sending in his very inexperienced third string quarterback, the coach told him: "Don't do anything fancy. On the first play I want Poznowski to carry the ball off tackle. On the second play, I want you to hand it to Jensen, who will run around left end. On the third play, you just take the ball right up the middle. And on the fourth down, punt. You got that?" The excited young quarterback acknowledged his instructions and went out to join his team. He handed the ball off to Poznowski, who went off tackle for 12 yards. Then Jensen went around left end for 20 yards, after which the young quarterback carried the ball all the way down to the other team's 15 yard line. With seconds to go in the game, the team lined up in punt formation, and the young quarterback punted the ball out of the stadium. His coach rushed out to the field with fire in his eyes and asked the youngster, "whatever were you thinking when you had the ball on their 15 yard line with seconds to go in the game and you punted?" The 3d string quarterback answered, "I was thinking I had a pretty dumb coach."
  18. Meh. Despite my ineffectual ranting, I think he probably deserves it. The Rays had a small payroll but a great year, largely, I think, because of Cash's use of his bullpen, early and often. If anything, the vote was a thumb in the eye of the vaunted Yankees management with all those stars and not nearly as many wins. To rub things in, the Rays beat them in the ALCS.
  19. And that, I would argue, is entirely a matter of perspective. I will readily grant that Cash stuck with his system, the system that Chaim Bloom and a bunch of analysts created for him and which worked well in the regular season. I will also grant that the Dodgers were favored because they deserved to be and that Cash could not really affect the final outcome--who won the WS. For example, even if Snell had stayed in game 6 and the Rays somehow managed to win 1-0, the Dodgers would still have been favored to win game 7. Indeed, the Dodgers bull pen in game 6 did something the Rays bullpen (at that point in the season) was completely incapable of. They held the Rays scoreless for the final 7.1 innings, a stunning display. So, yes, the deck was stacked against the Rays and their manager. And the Dodgers did in fact win the WS. All that said, and here I am being endlessly repetitive, I think it drives us to the conclusion that the Rays were never going to win the WS. Cash did everything right because he never strayed from the Rays carefully orchestrated system for positioning players, choosing starters, telling pitchers what pitches to throw and the manager what lineups to use, when to bring in relief pitchers, and so on and so on. It was in fact that system that made the Rays so successful--most games won in the AL--in the regular season. As far as we know, neither the players nor the manager did anything in any inning of any game that was not dictated by the analysts. They in fact played a perfect WS and lost. Romantic that I am, however, I prefer human mistakes but also human triumphs. I like bloody socks drama and Dave Roberts stealing that crucial base and Big Papi getting those clutch hits and the insane success of the 2013 Sox and especially the brilliance of Kojii Uehara who was absolutely fearless as their closer despite not having a great repertoire. I still remember Johnny Podres finally getting the Dodgers their first WS title against a better team, the 1955 Yankees. I even like hammering Grady Little for leaving Pedro in too long, and Buckner for that error. I was distraught to learn that Mookie Betts made that one catch for the Dodgers and then happily waved his positioning card on the way into the dugout. Why? Because what makes Mookie great in the field is when he deals with situations that analysts don't anticipate. The guy has great instincts to go with his athleticism and skills, and, when necessary, he uses those instincts on the basepaths as well. Speaking of which, does anyone else remember that, when Cash pulled Snell, Mookie was in the on deck circle and a big smile broke out on his face? The analysts were doing him one more big favor, only it was the Rays analysts who were doing it. Cash was of course completely blameless as indeed he was for the entire season.
  20. I apologize for again belaboring a point, but aren't you saying you want to have your cake and eat it too? You: "The bottom line is, however, that a manager's decisions do not impact the outcome of the game that much." But you also say, "A manager who knows his players well will do a better job with making in game decisions." What's the point of a manager making "better decisions" if in fact those decisions will have no impact on game outcomes? That said, I suspect that Cash is the prototypical manager of the future. Even when your baseball instincts and what you see going on in a game tell you to leave a pitcher in, the numbers say that's just dumb. It's the 3d time through the lineup, midnight has struck, and Snell, who has been literally carrying his team on this back for 5.1 innings, is about to turn into a pumpkin. It also doesn't matter which reliever is sent to the mound because statistical analysis says one reliever is about as good as another. They all have the strength: they ain't the starting pitcher. I'm sure that's smart baseball, but I find it to be as mechanical as computer programs telling managers where to position their defensive players.
  21. An interesting article that certainly makes a strong case for Cash. But I emphatically disagree for two basic reasons. The first one is that, if the article is right, managers are simply not needed anymore. Well, yes, they have to talk to the press after the game, deal with the players, etc, Thanks to those wonderful numbers spouted in the article, however, it's pretty clear that managers can leave game management to, wait for it, the GM and his team of experts who build the numbers system and sticks to it no matter what. Need I add that the Rays are exactly that kind of team? Or that after game six of this WS, Cash told the known universe he made the decision on when to pull Snell before the first pitch was thrown. The second reason I disagree is that that article on the 2017 WS is about a very different situation. In the 2017 game it was the 9th inning and the only focus was on the relief pitcher. The starter by then was irrelevant. Had Cash faced a similar situation in game 6 of this WS, whatever he decided would have been defensible because, as we Sox fans know too well from the 2018 WS, even sending in your ace closer can be a crapshoot. But this WS game (in 2020) was in the 6th freaking inning, not the 9th. And in this WS the Rays vaunted bullpen from the regular season was more vapid than vaunted. On top of that, and one can only sympathize with poor Cash having to endure such a calamity, the Rays starting pitcher, who had won the Cy Young award two years ago at age 25, was pitching magnificently. How magnificently? How many other times this season (or last season for that matter) do you think the top three hitters in the Dodgers lineup struck out all six times they faced any other pitcher in a single game? When he was pulled, Snell had not only done that, but had only thrown 73 pitches, had walked no one but struck out 9, and had given up two singles and no runs in 5.1 innings. I am not unaware that I am probably jousting at windmills. Beyond any question, the Rays system works. They have a crappy ballpark, few fans and not much revenue, but now seem to be able to acquire, develop, and field players who on average are paid far less that most other MLB teams but are still competitive and can usually expect to get into the postseason. Think back a moment to some of the things Billy Beane says in the movie Moneyball. Don't steal. Don't swing the bat unless you absolutely have to because a walk is as good as hit. Don't bunt. Slugging percentage is OK, but OBP is the real driver. Since that time, MLB teams have introduced computer-driven defensive formations. Implicitly, managers and players are simply cogs in a machine designed by computers and master planners. Up next: Robo umps because human umps make mistakes, and we can't have those in our wonderful, increasingly sterile national pastime.
  22. Agree. Pulling Snell and inserting Anderson was indefensible. And just think. If Alex Cora comes back to manage, he won't have to worry about these difficult decisions because Chaim Bloom will just hand him the famous Rays' Book of Foolproof Plays and In Game Decisions. And, once that becomes a norm for MLB managers, the Commissioner can dump the umps and bring on the robots!!! If we fans can't have mechanically perfect baseball, why bother to watch?
  23. Probably time to do this deed--at some point. While I agree Pedroia had more than his share of grit, he was actually a very good athlete and baseball player. Thus in 2007 when he first came up--to be the starting second baseman, no less--the FO was unconcerned when he couldn't hit for the first month or so. They knew he was going to be good, and he was that very year (ROY). Small body, big skills--and the attitude to go with the skills. Very competitive, maybe too much so. Remember the sign stealing caper he was part of? Or when he was taking grounders on his knees? You could not be a Sox fan and not be a huge Pedey fan. That last injury to his knee, the one he never recovered from, was by his good buddy Machado, whom Pedroia defended after that play knocked him out of the game and the season and the rest of his career. Some buddy.
  24. I often forget the spelling, so, rather than google it, I just guess. And The Billy Beane is himself two guys--the very promising five tool player who bombed, and the scout who worked his way up to GM and VP for the A's. According to the movie, the young Beane (as Billy remembers his own experience as a player) convinced the GM Beane that scouts basically know nothing--ditto managers.
  25. Bellhorn has compiled a pretty good list, which unfortunately tempts me to rant again. I agree on the length of games, which keeps increasing. I do not agree with Kimmi that commercials are part of the problem because they only occur when nothing is happening on the field anyway. In the NBA and he NFL, the refs will definitely call timeout for commercials, but in MLB they only occur between half innings, when relief pitchers get their warmup pitches on the mound, or when either manager calls for a replay. That said, I think MLB headquarters could do more to accelerate games, but probably like the additional opportunities for commercials. Moneyball, the book and movie, are based on real adjustments Billy Bean made as GM for the Oatkland A's, and the result was a good flick. But (here comes the rant) it also emphatically made the case that good general managers can and should make managers irrelevant because computer programs and video provide the best answer on almost every baseball decision, including lineups, when and who to use in the bullpen, how to pitch to specific batters, where to position every fielder for each hitter, telltales on opposing pitchers, when to pinch hit and with whom etc, etc. Thus it will be good to get Cora back in the dugout, but Chaim Bloom and the computers will probably be making almost all of the decisions. Another rant. I think umpires, including their mistakes, are an important part of baseball and always have been. Yes, some bad calls, including balls and strikes, are egregious, but most are not. More often than not, the hitters are wrong when they complain about calls. More to the point, the robots that people want used can see and display accuracies which the human eye cannot see, and that is a fact, not a surmise. But, because that strike zone is superimposed on the TV picture, we think those very close pitches, in and out of the strike zone, are the only acceptable standard. I do, however, like the opportunities for managers to challenge other calls, not because they are important in themselves (even though sometimes they are), but because they have gone a long way to minimize managers and coaches charging onto the field to challenge a call. Again, however I do think it is laughable when the announcers replay several camera angles before finally rendering their verdict--just as the officials in NYC are able to do. Me, I prefer the umpire's call to be final because that's why he is out there. I hate the shifts, of course, but I am more dismayed that computers or whatever have convinced players to hit over the shifts (launch angle) and not to hit away from the shifts. I am untroubled by the DH in the AL but not in the NL because I don't mind seeing pitchers hit or being pinch hit for. Also, isn't a pure DH an incomplete player? And, if you can do that for pitchers, why not for weak-hitting but brilliant-fielding shortstops and centerfielders? Heck, why not offensive and defensive teams? Despite my rants, the only thing I can definitely say needs to be changed is the length of games. I would enforce the 25 second rule (time between pitches), and I would take away almost all of the little stalls hitters use. Once you step into the batter's box, you can't call time, period.
×
×
  • Create New...