Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. On to Yankee Stadium for a 3 game series: Eovaldi (4.01) vs. King (2.86); ERod (5.64) vs Taillon (5.10); and Richards (3.75) vs. Germain (3.27). Sox are still 2 back of the Rays and with the 3d best W-L record in the AL after the Rays and White Sox.
  2. I was thinking Mel Parnell because I once had his baseball card.
  3. A great win and a necessary one. This was the third straight solid start by the Sox rotation and probably the best start by any Sox pitcher this season. Keep it going, moonslav!
  4. Interesting. Yes, absolutely, he has gone through a lot in the past year plus. He not only had COVID, but it affected his heart, which is downright scary. But he is getting paid a lot of money--$8M this year, in fact, which is equal to all his previous salaries combined--so we can be sure he and his manager and pitching coach have all agreed that starting 10 games and pitching 52.2 innings (so far this year) was a good idea. Or, if not a good idea, a necessary idea. But, as a paying fan (via mlb.tv), I'm saying I don't agree. I remember when Jon Lester had his 2006 fight with large cell lymphoma, which included offseason chemotherapy. But I don't recall the announcers or fans ever saying the next year, 2007, "hey, give the guy a break. He stinks tonight or today, but he's going through a tough time, healthwise." Indeed, he helped the Sox win the WS in 2007. So my point remains: ERod and his manager can decide whatever they want to decide, but as a paying customer I expect to see performance, not excuses.
  5. A fair point, but also where we part company. Baseball to me is quintessentially a human endeavor. That means a pitch is whatever the umpire says it is and should not be defined by those graphics we see on the screen. Those graphics are misleadingly and inhumanly accurate. No hitter--not one of the 800 or so MLB players we see each year--can see as well as those graphics. Nor, I would submit, can the catcher, even though he has the best vantage point of anyone. Umpires have been an essential part of the game from the beginning, and they do make mistakes. But, given how difficult it is to hit a baseball and/or to hit the right spot in or near the strike zone, umpires are way more perfect than any hitter or pitcher in the game. I want robo-umps to the same degree I want robo-players.
  6. Perez has now thrown 67 pitches in 7 innings--shutout innings at that. I feel very safe in saying the ERod has never done that in his MLB career.
  7. A note to all you ERod fans. Today we are watching another Sox lefty going up against the same lineup ERod faced. Only Perez doesn't throw as hard as ERod. What he does have is a better array of pitches and better command of them. And, unlike ERod, he is not afraid to throw strikes and even throw to contact.
  8. Then I agree with you completely. If you leave ERod out, I'm definitely in. Heck, forget the sarcasm. I like the 3 guys you named, and Pivetta and Perez have stood tall in this series. Even including ERod, the Sox rotation is a ton better this year than we had an right to expect.
  9. Well done, Bogie! First two rbi's by the Sox "big four" (Verdugo, JDM, Bogie, and Devers) in this 4 game series. 5-0 has a much nicer sound than 3-0.
  10. Let's see if Bogie goes for the walk again.
  11. Terrible call by the ump. Altuve should sue. Where's his manager and why isn't he complaining? Perez did not deserve a K against a good hitter like Altuve.
  12. I love it when the ump calls lots of strikes. It keeps the game moving along. One of the big lines in Moneyball is that a walk is as good as a hit, and I'm sure that is true. The problem is that it's also very boring baseball.
  13. Meh. Plawecki was dead meat the moment he came to bat--totally disinterested in swinging the bat. Probably saving himself for catching duties in 4 more innings, which is fine by me.
  14. Perez a tad slow getting to 1b, but an excellent play by Dalbec.
  15. Meh. He's been giving both pitchers breaks.
  16. This game is a long way from over. That 3 run dinger by Arroyo is now looking borderline miraculous after what we just saw in the top of the 5th.
  17. If ERod is the best #5 starter in the AL, I will be astounded. His WAR is -.1. I think it is enough to say the first four Sox starters are way better than we expected.
  18. Finally, finally, the big four erupt with their first back to back hits in this 4 game series.
  19. Arroyo almost lost it. Still a good grab.
  20. I still like him, and he seems to get a good jump on the ball in CF.
  21. Agree on all points, especially the headfirst slide. But that's Devers.
  22. Get rid of Perez, who has utterly failed to execute the accepted Sox pitching guidance, "do not pitch to contact." This nut case doesn't have a single walk and has only thrown 25 pitches in 3 innings.
×
×
  • Create New...