Garcia is hitting .182 and he knows every pitch that's coming. He missed the knuckle ball, not because it fooled him, but because it had too much break for his lousy swing.
Need to get out of this with just the 1 run.
I still think the Astros are stealing signals. They have swung and missed exactly one time in 17 strikes thrown.
I have to say this. That the Astros stole pitch signals has been documented. In the first game of this series, an important one for both teams, but especially the Astros, I definitely had the impression the Astro hitters knew what was coming. Altuve looks that way right now.
6 sinkers and 1 curve (a ball) to Dalbec. At least he grounded out.
1 run in the top of the 1st--it's a start.
Now let's see what Pivetta's got tonight.
I believe I read that the Rays have a system contained in a book/manual Chaim Bloom wrote and that explains more than how to pick the right guys in drafts and trades. It's also about how to develop players and skills. There is scant evidence that the Sox have ever had such a systemic approach.
So, yes, I like Chaim Bloom's approach, but also recognize--ironically, for me--that big bats and great pitching arms do have marquee value. How else explain that the Rays are always contesting the A's for the worst attendance in MLB?
I thought Richards was terrific last night despite the 4 BB's. Sawamura was not so hot, but was also sabotaged by our defense. Bottom line on pitching and defense is the Sox gave up 11 runs Monday night and 5 runs last night. The hitting was worse, which means the Sox were miserable for 2 straight games.
My thanks to Thunder and all the upbeat contributors.
And this bulletin about my wife of 57 years who cannot really be called a fan. When she was like 9 she was taken to a double header at the old Griffith Stadium, which meant of course the Washington Senators. Sheer torture. And she has neither been to a game nor watched one on TV since. She vastly prefers reading in the sunroom, leaving my to blogging and game-watching in the study.
However, this year I have credited her with several wins because whenever she dropped in to check on the game, something good would happen. These last two games, which quickly went south, have convinced her to stay way from the study tonight.
JDM, Bogie, and Devers have all stunk in both games at Houston, at least so far.
But, heck, the pitching and defense are what have hurt the most. Sox, so far, would need 6 to win this one and 12 to have won last night.
Worthless freaking infield. Worthless.
JDM, Bogie, and Devers ain't helping much on offense either.
moonslav may have been the first to prophesy, "beware the month of June."
If you are an old Sox fan, you know this Sox phenomenon called the June Swoon.
He seems to me to be throwing as hard as ever. What missing last year might have caused is the loss of pitching skill, the ability to throw tough pitches to hit. Plus he has always been inclined to be a slow starter, needing a lot of pitches to get through the first inning or two or three.
"Seems to be up and down lately?????!!" His ERA is 5.47, which, especially in a year when pitching is dominating, tells me ERod is up, down, down, down, and down. Then repeat.
4 runs and 6 outs for ERod.
I could be wrong, but I think doesn't have a single sharply breaking ball in his repertoire. Cut fastball, fastball, and a slightly breaking changeup are about it.
I cannot remember the last time I saw him throw a curve or slider.
Lo and behold, finally a slider, out of the zone, swung on and missed for a K.