You watched the game, as did I. I think Valdez just has our number.
Tonight he had 8 K's, no BB's, and gave up 5 singles and 1 run.
Six days ago he also went 7 innings, also gave up 1 run, also gave up just 5 singles, but in that game had 10 K's and 2 BB's.
Valdez does something I have never seen a Sox pitcher do. He works the bottom of the strike zone extremely well.
I've seen Sox pitchers--rarely--attempt to work the bottom of the strike zone. But I've never seen one actually do it well.
Gotta give Cora credit. He could have brought Perez out for more punishment. Andriese ain't so hot this year, but this is the right job for him tonight. Plus he just got 2 outs in 2 hitters.
The bad news is that Perez--and the Sox--are getting killed.
The good news is that, if Perez were pitching well, the Sox would still lose to Valdez. 6 days ago Valdez went 7 innings, outpitched Pivetta, and the Astros won 2-1.
Got it.
Perez was just testing the waters in the 1st and was actually pretty masterful, giving up just the one run, which was actually a lucky hit.
And, boy, you just know the Sox are going to hammer Valdez. Why? Because he plays for the Astros and the Sox are the good guys in this game.
Go Sox! Win one for the gipper!
I get it, I really do. Plawecki and Perez want to create a masterpiece of painting the corners of the strike zone. At this rate, Perez will be good for maybe 4 innings.