Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. You do know that Vazquez called for four straight fastballs from a pitcher whose fastball has proven, year after year, to be very hittable?
  2. Clearly Arauz misses Worcester. Mighty fine folks live there who love their AAA team and will welcome Arauz back like their prodigal son.
  3. Sox caught a huge break there. Vazquez didn't try to steal 2b and get thrown out. Maybe Cora told him to knock that stuff off. In any case, a very timely dinger by Dalbec!!!!!!!!!
  4. No bad by you. I was just being a jerk. But we do disagree. I think really good catchers can help pitchers find a way to get batters out when they don't have their best stuff or command, which happens quite often. I also think job one for all catchers is to get the most out of the pitcher actually in the game and not the one they would like to have on the mound. I don't think Vazquez does that--the same way he doesn't prevent wild pitches from getting away and is tied for the lead league in passed balls and runs the bases like an idiot because he thinks he's Jacoby Ellsbury or something.
  5. I have to assume you think Eovaldi is a rotten starter, and I disagree. As for the rest of the rotation, I agree they are all struggling, including Pivetta. And my fix would be to use Vazquez less. There is a fine art to calling for pitches that the pitcher can throw and which can get batters out, especially in games when pitchers don't have their best stuff or best command or both. Computer programs are pretty useless in those circumstances.
  6. I discussed that in an earlier post. There is absolutely no question that Cora likes Vazquez a lot. Last year and earlier this year, he liked his bat so much he played him at other positions. As far as I can tell, he is fine with all those passed balls, preventable wild pitches, stupid baserunning mistakes, weaker hitting (than last year and 2019), and how he calls pitches/games. So, yes, I disagree with Cora on the topic of Vazquez.
  7. With Arauz at 2b and Vazquez behind the plate, Eovaldi will be lucky to go 5 innings and hold the Rays to their current 3 runs.
  8. Against Choi Vazquez called for one splitter, which was fouled off. He called for two curveballs, both of which Choi nailed (one was foul). Vazquez is not a smart catcher.
  9. Arauz is killing Eovaldi and with him the Sox. This is a must win game.
  10. That grounder kind of played Arauz.
  11. Just because I feel like picking on him, this is now two games in a row in which Vazquez has done his level best to help the Rays. Today it was calling for meatballs so the Rays could quickly cut the lead to 3-2. Last night in the middle of a big rally, Vazquez tries to go to 2b on a single and is out by a freaking mile. He runs the bases like he is invisible and the defense can't actually see the dumb things he does.
  12. Once that idiot Vazquez stopped calling for fastball after fastball, what happens? Six straight outs, that's what happens. Cora may think Vazquez is fantastic, but I sure don't.
  13. Don't blame the starter. Blame that idiot Vazquez who kept calling for the fastballs. Finally, after the first two hitters get a double and a dinger, he calls for the splitter. I have never liked Vazquez, but this year find him especially irritating because he does not catch pitchers very well--leads MLB in passed balls and gives up too many wild pitches--because he is constantly gambling on the basepaths and making outs at the wrong time, because he is getting fatter, and because he gets to share in the blame for the lousing pitching recently. Back to those fastballs. Time and again this season we have seen Eovaldi's fastball--even when it comes in at 100 mph--get hammered, which is why he finally started mixing up his pitches, including adding that splitter which works great, and throwing fewer fastballs.
  14. Well, Scherzer was probably the best fix for what ails the Sox, but my guess is that JH and CB both wanted to get him for something like Andriese, Chavis, and $1.99 in cash. Plus, I say again, I'm not so sure one great starter would be enough. Right now Eovaldi is solid, Sale is a hope--a very good hope, but mixed with some uncertainty--and the rest of the rotation is inconsistent or just lousy. And the hitting seems to be dropping off a little.
  15. Never been to Maine, especially northern Maine, but have heard great things about it in the summer. You mentioned your dad before, and I again say, "terrific." Safe trip Texas.
  16. See splendidsplinter's comment about this past month: John Henry didn't want to go over the luxury tax, and Bloom didn't want to give away any good prospects. And I agree with both of them. Bloom inherited a mess from DD and has gone far to meet John Henry's guidance while in the meantime fielding a very competitive team this year. Yes, I'm plenty worried about the final two months, a rotation that seems non-competitive, etc, but I also am not so sure one great starter like Kershaw was going to fix our pitching. Plus I think his price was too high. Meanwhile, I am going to root, root, root for the good guys.
  17. I was a Sox fan from 1949 to 2004, which means 55 years of the 86 year waiting period, and feel more than amply rewarded for my "patience" (of which I had none). Now it's easy to be patient.
  18. Rike Hernandez CF (!) Devers 3B JD Martinez DH Bogaerts SS Renfroe RF Verdugo LF Vazquez C Dalbec 1B Arauz 2B A lot of familiar faces with Arauz a bit of a surprise, but last night, against a lefty (which he will also face tonight), he fielded well at 3B and got 2 hits.
  19. I haven't heard squat about Sale, but I have seen both a warrior and a totally professional baseball player. He has been for the Sox both a brilliant pitcher when he is healthy and an aggressive and skilled fielder who is never, ever late to 1b on grounders to the right. His cumulative WAR for 10 seasons (2010-19) is 45.6, his career ERA is 3.03, and in his 7 best seasons (2012-2018), he finished 5th, 5th, 3d, 4th, 5th, 2d, and 4th in the Cy Young Award voting.
  20. Wrong. I've whined as much as anyone. To my great discredit, I have conveniently forgotten any good starts by Richards, Perez, ERodriguez, or Pivetta. I still, however, trust both Cora and Bloom. Together they have given us a stunning 2/3 of a season, with the final 1/3--August and September--still to unfold. Olympia Dukakis from Moonstruck: it ain't over til it's over.
  21. Eovaldi vs. Yarborough, game time 6:10 pm Once more into the breach.
  22. Completely agree--great bat--but less sure of the fit. He has a bad hammie, so we don't know how many games he can play this season, plus the need was for a first baseman and Schwarber is an outfielder/DH. Nine of the next 12 games are against the Rays and Jays, and Schwarber and Sale might not play in any of them. Plus Arroyo is on the IL, Bogie has the bad wrist, JDM is in a slump, and Devers has the bad quad (that we know of).
  23. I am inclined to be happy with what has been achieved without Billy Beane, not only because of the four WS wins after the 86 year drought, but also because we have no idea how successful Billy Beane would have been in Boston.
×
×
  • Create New...