Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Why oh why do Sox players never ever let the ball hit them?
  2. Blind stupid luck, which I will take over a hard hit out and day of the week. Tough luck for Cortes.
  3. Yes he is, and yes he does. I guy that tall has no business being as good as he is. I've seen him sprint toward the right field wall to get a ball, and slide at exactly the right moment.
  4. I'm no Boone fan, but I think he definitely made the right call there--even though Cortes had been going great guns. .
  5. Pivetta has nothing to do with it. This is all Plawecki today. Pivetta's just along for the ride.
  6. That just torques me. Judge is actually very agile out there, and it's just not fair he's glove can reach up to 9'.
  7. Whoa! I think I can now get off my hobby horse. If Sanchez is dumb, that makes Cortes one really great pitcher. I just wish ERod could work the corners, especially the bottom of the zone, the way Cortes does.
  8. I've been impressed with Cortes, especially his command.
  9. No question Eovaldi threw the ball and Vazquez only caught it (when he wasn't letting it get by him). Nevertheless, when a pitcher is having a great month--4 starts--and suddenly goes sour with a new catcher, one has to wonder if the catcher wasn't/isn't part of the problem.
  10. Actually, I think this is bigger than me being argumentative, redundant, whatever. It's late in the season, the Sox are in it, and every game is a big deal. Cora has been terrific this year, but I completely disagree with not having Plawecki catch Eovaldi last night. I think Vazquez is OK with Sale because he's so professional and basically only throws three pitches. If I were king, I would not let Vazquez catch Eovaldi or Pivetta for the rest of the season.
  11. I'm looking for someone to rebut, without which I will assume I'm right. I'm quite aware my statistical sample is miniscule, but I was certain Plawecki was going to catch Eovaldi again last night and am bitter that he didn't and that Eovaldi did so poorly. Plus I think Vazquez is stupid on the basepaths.
  12. Cortes has good stuff, but he has really good command.
  13. Could there be a bigger difference then Eovaldi--our best starter--and Vazquez last night and Pivetta--our 3d or 4th best starter--and Plawecki today? Pivetta, with Plawecki calling the shots, looks like Eovaldi at his best. And last night Eovaldi looked like Pivetta at his worst. The only thing Vazquez does better than Plawecki is throw guys out stealing, but this year he's almost as bad as Plawecki (who is definitely bad).
  14. Plawecki gets the Sox first hit and first run with a dinger. I think Vazquez could use a long rest.
  15. Dalbec has fouled off some tough pitches. That last strike looked outside, but it was close.
  16. At this point in the game last night with Vazquez catching the Sox ace, the Yankees had scored 7 runs and Eovaldi was out of the game. Today, with a lesser pitcher, Pivetta, and Plawecki calling the pitches, the Yankees are scoreless.
  17. Back to Vazquez. He didn't call for many knuckle curves yesterday even though Eovaldi has a good one. Plawecki seems to like calling for curves from Pivetta--and they are working!
  18. I think that's true, especially lefty junkers.
  19. Whoa, nellie! How did that stay in?
  20. Cortes has command of both his pitches and the Sox hitters--and hasn't thrown a pitch over 91 mph. I haven't seen any big curves, but this rest of his stuff looks pretty good.
  21. Earl loved good pitching and 3 run dingers.
  22. Cole threw 97-99 mph fastballs to get K's. Cortes only needs 91 mph.
  23. Finally, a catcher who has a feel for what pitches to call for. Vazquez through his ignorance guided Eovaldi to his worst start this season. Pivetta, who has struggled recently--with guess who catching him--looks pretty decent with Plawecki behind the plate.
  24. About CERA (catcher's ERA). While I agree it's hard to pin down statistically, intuitively it does make sense that one catcher could be better catching a given starter than another catcher. Such appears to be the case with Eovaldi, the Sox best starter this year. Plawecki caught Eovaldi four times this month with a combined ERA of 2.70 for those four games. Last night Cora decided to go with his main man, Vazquez, and Eovaldi had absolutely his worst start of the season. He went the fewest innings (2.2) and gave up more runs (7) than in his other 30 starts this year. I think having Vazquez catch Eovaldi was a mistake by our esteemed--and deservedly so--manager.
×
×
  • Create New...