Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. That's 2 errors and a passed ball by the Sox. Awful. Plus Rafaela misread that shot to CF. But then he made a terrific throw, followed by a perfect throw home to nail the Yankee belatedly trying to go home from 2b after a double.
  2. So far his hitting stinks, but just for 46 AB's. He looks pretty good on defense and seems enthusiastic to be on the Red Sox. Definitely overweight.
  3. His RISP OPS is .818. Overall this season it's .633. His biggest negative is K's. Only 11 other players in MLB this season have more than Duran's 148. Duran is 4th on the team in games played, 4th in total bases, 3d in dingers, and 1st in SB's. He would not have screwed up that play today in which Long committed an error. My gooodness I'm impressed with Bennett's first 3 IP.
  4. So far his hitting stinks, but just for 46 AB's. He looks pretty good on defense and seems enthusiastic to be on the Red Sox. Definitely overweight.
  5. Again I say this is a simple but very useful chart. Tonight Weissert threw 5 pitches, Guerrero 6, and Olds 11. Tomorrow the double-header (but stands are cleared between games).
  6. I said that. The Yankees have the 2d best W-L record in the AL. The Sox and Yankees play in the AL East, which again has the best won-lost record of the six MLB Divisions. The Yankees have easily the lowest ERA in MLB and their starter tonight, Schlittner, has the 3d best ERA among MLB starters. Goldschmidt's dinger was off a sinker at the bottom of the strike zone.
  7. I've given up on Story and I suspect the Sox have too. In the spring he played in 41 games with an OPS of .547. Last year he finished with a respectable .741 OPS but was lousy in April and May. My guess is he has been healthy for at least a month. And don't forget that at $25M his salary is easily the highest among the Sox hitters/fielders. He gets the same $25M next season. Not a good hire by CB. Those 3 scrubs did not worse tha Contreras and Rutschman, who both had 2 K's and no hits in 4 AB's. The Yankees team ERA, 3.24 (not including tonight's shutout), is easly the best in MLB. The ERA's of the Yankees pitchers in the game are 2.09, 1.86, 1.67, 2.31.
  8. He has the highest WAR on the team. I'm pretty sure the 3d base coach told him to go on that shallow fly to LF. While it's possible the 1b coach told him to go on the liner to CF, I kind of doubt it.
  9. At the same time the Yankees have rope-a-doped our #3 and #4 hitters. I think Contreras is regressing to his norm and Rutschman is possibly exploring a new norm (not a good one) for him.
  10. Our #3 and #4 hitters ain't hitting and not just tonight. Sox have K'd 9 times but drawn 6 BB's.
  11. Through 6.5 innings this has been way more competitive (1-0 Yankees) than I expected. Sandoval was terrific. Rafaela has hurt the good guys with two baserunning errors, which might have been 1b and 3b coaching errors.
  12. Yankees have to be heavily favored tonight with Schlittler on the mound--especially with Sandoval going for the Sox. Given the above and tomorrow's double-header plus a 4th game on Sunday, I think Tracy will want to avoid a big commitment of his bullpen tonight. Funny thing, but the Sox beat Schlittler on June 25, June 265, when the Yankees gave up 4 unearned runs. 18 days earlier he beat the Sox, going 5.2 IP and giving up 1 ER. Yankees are 13-10 in August to the Sox 15-9, but the Yankees played a tougher schedule. Yankees run differential is +100 to the Sox +101. Like the Sox, the Yankees win more on the road than at home. Sox 2 best starters, Grey and Tolle, are not scheduled to go against the Yankees in this 4 game series (in 3 days). Each has 2 quality starts vs the Yankees. Sox were 5-4 vs the Yankees before the ASG.
  13. You betcha. Chats are crucial. I can get tons of Sox news from other sources, also analysis. Today's issue seems to be "don't bring Story back." I know he's got a ton of experience, but to me his fielding and hitting have both fallen off, especially if he Agree, especially the chat box. I can get articles and "insights" from many sourcs and some of them are pretty good. But nothing can replace the give and take of the "chat box."
  14. Once again my thanks for a very useful chart. The Sox team ERA is 3.50. Of those 8 only Weissert's ERA is above that--his is 4.11 Olds ERA is 0, so is Miller's. Gamboa is 1.31 and Chapman 1.81. Guerrero 2.72. Bello as a reliever around 1.30. Moran is 3.00 Wow.
  15. Agree track and field are very definitely sports--going all the way back to the Greek Olympics. I don't care how they determine winners in track and field because the outcomes are pretty obvious most (almost all) of the time. Those are individual sports, so, while I love to watch the Olympics, I don't watch them very often. Tennis and golf are also individual, but I find them more interesting. What to me is unique about baseball is that the calls don't necessarily interrupt the flow of the game. Because of that, it is essential that umpires make their calls quickly and apparent to the players on the field.
  16. Tennis does the same thing as MLB--allow players to challenge calls. Horseracing is barely a sport any more. I agree calling balls and strikes is tough, especially for the umpire who stands behind the catcher. Nevertheless, I am delighted that the vast majority of umps seem to get the calls right. Even better is the catcher, hitter, and pitcher all being allowed to challenge calls. I have read that maybe 3 umps are planning on retiring after this season because they have been challenged so much. Finally, this. No one on the field or in the dugout can see that cotton-picking rectangular strike zone. It's a fabrication, but a powerful one because we can see it at home on our screens. Thus am I dead set against relying on something the players and umps can't even see. The umpires are part of the game and should never be invisible. They should continue to make all calls and do so demonstrably.
  17. Well said! I might add that this Sox team seems different from all Sox teams I remember going back to 1949. Of course, I rarely watched them until satellite TV came along circa 2020, so my opinion is suspect. Despite his foolish error last night--turning a single into a leadoff double--I think Duran adds something as well as great speed, a good arm, and a bunch of rbi's, runs scored, dingers, triples, and SB's. His K's are absolutely horrendous and his OPS is a paltry .632. In fact, the returns of Story, Anthony, Mead, and Kiner-Falefa are going to complicate things because of what you said. Whitlock and Crochet, on the other hand, can only help.
×
×
  • Create New...