Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Great phrase, "typical crap." Someone needs to tell him that when you're the team's MVP and your team has a good lead in late innings you should approach walls cautiously.
  2. She has a point, especially if Gray can go one more inning,.
  3. Gray hasn't pitched against the Orioles this season. He's just had a good rest after pitching 30 innings in August with an ERA of 2.40. In his last 2 games, however, he gave up 6 ER in 11 IP against Miami and San Francisco. His lifetime ERA over 15 seasons is 3.53. This year it's 2.82.
  4. Here are the starters' ERA's for the last 7 days-- Suarez 4.35 Bennett 2.25 Tolle 6.35 Sandoval 6.75 faux starter Bello 9.82 I'm not saying I'm right or prescient or whatever, just that I'm nervous. I watched almost every pitch by Sandoval last night and consider his 7 shutout IP slightly miraculous even though the Orioles did not hit a lot of balls hard. Baz, on the other hand, hit a lot of corners plus he had that nasty splitter.
  5. Agree. Plus right now I see no need to bring anyone up. I'd love to see Arias of course.
  6. Here are the August ERA's for the 5 starters-- Gray 2.40 Tolle 3.00 Bennett 4.50 Sandoval 4.85 Suarez 5.70 Sure looks like the rotation is the problem. Early's gone but also on the IL. Crochet's absence hurts a lot and he might relieve this season or might not. Houck and/or Crawford might make it back. And don't forget Paez. He's healthy and opposing teams are clamoring for his return. And this just in on Suarez--maybe he's inspirational. The Sox won 5 of 7 games started in July and August when his ERA's were 4.76 and 5.70. In 1 of his 2 losses he went 5 IP giving up 1 run to the Jays who scored 6 runs in the game.
  7. August ERA's for those 8 relievers-- Gamboa 0.00 Olds 0.00 Miller 0.79 Whitlock 1.80 Chapman 2.00 Bello 3.15 Burgos 5.84
  8. When the trade was made it seemed obvious the Sox needed hitting more than pitching. Ironically the pitching nosedived in August and the hitting got better without Mead and with Rutschman's OPS a lousy .500. Trading Early had no effect on the pitching because he's been on the IL since June 30. On the other hand, Gasper's hitting has been a godsend--completely unexpected--and so had Anthony who is hitting like last season. Heck, even Story has been good at the plate. When Contreras and Rafaela return, I see a pretty good lineup: Anthony LF Gasper DH Abreu RF Contreras 1b Rutschman C Story SS Rafaela CF Durbin 3b Kiner-Falefa. 2b On the bench Duran, Wong, Jones, Sogard, Monasterio,
  9. Let me make something very clear. While I like the idea of resting Gray, I am deeply concerned about the Sox pitching.
  10. This team is still very much airborne, but as Bette Davis famously said, "fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night/flight/September.
  11. Oh, yeah, it's September when the going gets tough and everything seems to ride on every game if not every inning. Last night our premier long reliever gave up 4 runs in the 6th to make it 8-1. Sox lost 8-3. Almost as dismaying was getting 12 hits, including a dinger and 4 doubles, but scoring just 3.
  12. Good man, Monasterio. Only 2 things he's lousy at are pitching and, lately, hitting.
  13. Grey was faltering in his last 2 games and he has started more games and pitched more innings than any other Sox starter. I agree completely that getting to October is job one, but think Gray missing one start isn't nearly as important as getting to October. The Sox still have a comfortable lead, but September 2011 was so bad it caused Francona to be let go. And right now the pitching overall looks terrible. In the last 7 games the Sox gave up 26 runs to the Yankees and 25 games to the Mariners. ERA for the last 7 days is 7.38. So I think resting Gray was a good idea, but am plenty worried about the staff as a whole.
  14. What's neat about this chart is that it shows how Tracy sees his bullpen. Tonight, however, is tricky because he is skipping Gray's start to give him a long break and Bello won't be available for long relief. My guess is he will bring someone up from Worcester. Last night the Sox pitching gave up 8 runs to the team that has score the fewest runs in MLB. To his great credit Tracy sent Gamboa back out to pitch the 9th inning so that Chapman could give the Sox their best chance of keeping the Mariners from scoring with the man starting on 2b.
  15. We agree on Duran, who must have been doing something right playing in 129 games, just 6 less than Abreu's most on the team. I think Rafaela was wrong both times, but I applaud your defense of him. About that call last night when the NY guys agreed it was a single. While I agree there was potential that the ball hit the ground, the compelling evidence for me was that he stayed firmly in the middle of his glove the entire play, which began with a clean grab before it hit the ground. I believe the NY guys general rule is to agree with the call on the field unless it's obvious it was wrong.
  16. The Yankees have the lowest ERA of any MLB in years if not decades. Rafaela screwed up twice, but did so realizing just 1 run could be huge. As for Tracy, I completely disagree with your second-guessing him. Did you not notice that Duran was 0/2 and White 1/2????? I think he's done one heckuva job this season.
  17. Agree on the hitting. Team ERA, 3.46, is 3d best in MLB. The Sox pitching has been the exact opposite of "ordinary." That's the lowest team ERA in the JH era. The 2007 Sox ERA was 3.87 and 2d best in MLB.
×
×
  • Create New...