Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Since Harper just singled, this story. In 2018 the Nats had Harper and averaged 31,620 attendance. Same year, Phillies 27,310. The next year, 2019, Harper's playing in Philly, and their attendance leaps to 33,671 and Washington's nosedives to 27,898. One guy, and you will never convince it wasn't Bryce who filled those seats. With DD as CBO, the Phillies have also been playing winning baseball, and this year so far their attendance is 40,017, which is only the 2d best in MLB.
  2. His last time up, his last 2 strikes were against curves well below the strike zone. I believe he swings at almost any curve because he is not sure he can hit fast balls. This just might be the worst Sox lineup I can remember because they are wimps at the plate, especially with men on base, and they are the worst team in MLB in the field. The Phillies took the 3-1 lead on an error on a throw to 1b, which is supposed to be the easiest play in baseball. Just stick that huge mitt somewhere in the path of the ball. If it's in the ground, the error is always on the thrower.
  3. I'm so bad at predicting I have to bite my hand when I see a post like yours. I have no idea how many innings Houck will pitch. But I can say this. I've never seen him pitcher better or with more confidence. And, frankly, that's more than enough for me. Of course I've love to see him pitch 200 or so innings, but he has already had a great season.
  4. Celebration time for Devers! He made another out--of course he did--but this time the leftfielder had to run to catch it. What's that hand signal they make when they get a hit? He could have done half of one.
  5. Wheeler has pitched well tonight, and Schwarber has those 2 dingers. But guess what? We've in the 7th and, without that 2 run error, the game would be 2-1, Phillies. And the Phillies are a much better team. moonslav has been griping about the Sox defense for what seems like centuries, but this season has exposed just how devastating bad defense can be. Don't forget all the weak defensive plays that aren't errors but should have been made.
  6. I'm not an optimist, at least not this year with that defense. The dinger was off the first pitch of the game, a fast ball right down the middle--and Schwarber was ready for it. The error was about standard for these Sox. To be honest, Wheeler has looked pretty good tonight, once he got past those two leadoff hits and the sac fly by Refsnyder. To win against the Phillies with their excellent record, you need to play tough, and I don't see much toughness in these Sox.
  7. You implied, so I have to respond. Cora managed the Sox to their best season in their history. Granted, he definitely had the lineup and the pitching although Kimbrel did not impress in the postseason. Then DD left, as did Mookie and Price. Sale went on the IL. But still the Sox made it to the postseason in 2021--without a closer! Not only that, but they made it to the ALCS, which the 2016 and 2017 teams could not do. Oh, and DD's 4th Sox team 2019, didn't even make it to the postseason despite the highest payroll in MLB. Pitching collapsed, of course they did. And this year the Sox have no business being at .500 with that absolutely horrendous defense, inconsistent offense (especially with men on base), and now struggles with the pitching. When they went to Chicago to play the White Sox, the home team was on a 13 game losing streak and still split the series, 2-2, because of the Red Sox players, not their manager. And tonight against a good team, the 2d and 3d runs scored by the Phillies are both unearned because Smith can't catch a throw to 1b with that gigantic glove.
  8. His last time up, his last 2 strikes were against curves well below the strike zone. I believe he swings at almost any curve because he is not sure he can hit fast balls. This just might be the worst Sox lineup I can remember because they are wimps at the plate, especially with men on base, and they are the worst team in MLB in the field. The Phillies took the 3-1 lead on an error on a throw to 1b, which is supposed to be the easiest play in baseball. Just stick that huge mitt somewhere in the path of the ball. If it's in the ground, the error is always on the thrower.
  9. When you say "great history," you seem to mean "ancient history." The Sox best season ever was just 6 years ago--and that was the Sox 4th WS in 14 season after the 86 year drought. And 3 years ago they made it to the ALCS, which is something that DD did with the Sox exactly once in 4 years, and when he did it he had the top payroll in MLB. I admit I'm not too happy with the Sox right now, but I also think JH has earned the right to do whatever he wants with this team. That said, I agree we fans are fickle. What have you done for us lately?
  10. Phillies are doing well under DD and the Sox have struggled, 2022-24. All true. However, the Sox lost all six ALDS games in 2016 and 2017 with DD in charge--even with the 3d highest payroll. In 2018, with the highest payroll in MLB, they had the best Sox season ever, thanks in part to DD. But in 2019 they didn't even make the postseason with the biggest payroll. Moreover, it was a good bet that, about the time DD was fired, he was asking JH for a bunch more money--over and above the biggest payroll in MLB--to outbid the Dodgers for Mookie and to pay for expensive replacements for Price and Sale (while also paying their hefty salaries). CB wasn't the answer, but I don't think JH knew exactly what kind of a CBO and team he wanted. The two things he was sure of were that Mookie was unaffordable--with which I agree because the Dodgers could afford to pay more--and that he wasn't going to shell out major dollars for starters any more. Too risky. However, Giolito has a $39M contact for 2 years, which is now a $39M for 1 year because he went on the IL in spring training and we have no idea when or whether he will start next season. I think DD overall has an excellent track record as a CBO. But I don't blame DD for getting rid of him after the disaster of the 2019 season--and the even greater demands DD would make on what was already the biggest payroll in MLB. On paper Craig Breslow looks like a very good fit, but right now CBO for John Henry just might the toughest CBO job in MLB.
  11. Nicely said. Alex should take his players . . . well, never mind.
  12. I don't like Cooper, and that last at bat by Dalbec convinced me he has to go back or be DFA'd or whatever.
  13. John Henry has said we Sox fans have unrealistic expectations. Right now I'm pretty bitter about these Sox--just like everyone else on Talksox. But it might be worth noting that in the so-called golden era of David Dombrowski when the Sox had the highest payroll in MLB, the Sox were were killed in the ALDS's in 2016 and 2017. Then they had that insanely great season in 2018, but then, with basically the same players, who were really pricey, they didn't even make the postseason in 2019. In comes Chaim Bloom with restrictions on what he could do/spend. Forget 2020, a non-season. In 2021, the Sox had a better season than 3 of 4 teams DD had: they made it to the ALCS before losing to the Astros, 4 games to 2. Meanwhile, of course, the Sox budget was paying Price big bucks to play for the Dodgers and big bucks for Sale, who wasn't playing at all. Then came 2022 and 2023, which were bad, but not as bad as 2014 and 2015, which is why DD was hired. And, lo, this season we have the Sox 5th CBO under John Henry and the 6th manager (two of whom were single year models). So, given all those hirings and firings, I'd say John Henry is at least as impatient and demanding as the Sox fanbase.
  14. That was also a smart at bat because he was looking for the right pitch to hit. Except the first pitch, which was very hittable. I haven't seen him do anything in RF. So question is, is he actually playing RF?
  15. Back on AVAILABILITY. Here's what caused these Sox players to be out for the season or on the IL-- Story dove for a grounder, which a SS should never do. Abreu came down the dugout steps-- definitely risky behavior. Giolito threw a baseball during spring training--a big no-no. Whitlock pitched 18.1 innings in 4 starts, which was way too many for a MLB pitcher and bordered on abusive. I'm surprised Cora still has a job. Casas swung at a pitch. What was he thinking? When he returns, hopefully this month, let's hope he has been working on his bunting. O'Neill left the safety of the dugout and actually went out onto the playing field and played baseball. Also risky behavior. Sale is actually healthy and having a good season--for the Braves, but with the Sox paying his salary of $17M. However, in return for Sale, the Sox got Grissom, who is on the IL. Yoshida was I think HBP--on his thumb. I believe the treatment has been to rest his thumb, now going on 40 games. Martin is out for anxiety, which I think is real and a definite hazard for a relief pitcher.
  16. Shout out to SPLENDIDSPLINTER for the 2 wins and especially the one over the Braves (in the dreaded Fenway Park). He also said up front last night was the White Sox best chance for a win.
  17. Again on the AVAILABILITY topic. I looked at the top WAR's (position players in MLB), and the top ten have all played in 60 or more games. Yes, WAR does in fact favor games played, but back in 2018 Mookie's WAR was sky high, 10.9, despite playing the fewest games, 136, in the top ten in WAR's. Right now Duran's WAR of 3.2 is 8th best in MLB and best on the Sox in part because he has played in 64 games, most on the Sox. Duran also has the highest DWAR, +1.1, on the Sox. Since the 2019 season, the Sox have been hurt by unavailability issues, except in 2021: Devers 156 games, JDM 148, Dugo 146, Renfroe 144, Bogey 144, Vazquez 136, Kike (WAR +4.9) 134, Dalbec (OPS .792) 133. That year, 2021, was also when Eovaldi had 32 starts, Pivetta 31, and ERod 31.
  18. I liked the availability stat too--until I looked at previous seasons. For example, the Sox best team ever, 2018, had these Games played/At Bats-- JDM 150/569 Beni 148/579 JBJ 144/474 Mookie 136/520 Bogey 136/513 Nunez 127/480 (Note: less Nunez was actually better because his WAR was -1.1) Moreland 124/404 Devers 121/450 Holt 109/321 Leon 89/265
  19. I think our new CBO screwed up, shelling out $38.5M for Giolito when he could have kept Sale. That bad elbow, however, probably made it possible for Houck to emerge as the Sox ace.
  20. A brief revisit to this year's Sox prospects--not players, but their chance at the postseason. 31-31, .500 with 100 games to go doesn't look that great. It looks even worse when you see know the Sox lead MLB in errors, their lineup continues to struggle driving in runs, massive injuries, both short and long term--including Abreu who fell down the freaking steps into the dugout--and a pitching staff, while still the best part of this team, that lately has been leaking runs. In short, no way, jose. However, two hopeful stats/signs: 1) Sox are just 2.5 games back of the Twins for the 3d wild card; 2) Sox have a +26 run differential, which is the 4th best in the AL.
  21. Funny how we correctly see baseball and golf as simply sports--and sports which pay well. But there can be no doubt about the pressure and the fact that some people handle it better than others.
  22. Right on. Another freaking shut out. Oh, wait. The Braves were shut out and the Sox scored 9 runs. ???????????
  23. Ruth was great, no question, but for big chunks of his tenure with the Yankees their lineup was known as "murderer's row." They spent whatever was needed to stay competitive and in the process drove both the Dodgers and the Giants out of town--even though I hasten to say both have prospered on the West Coast. Thus have the Yankees won 27 WS's. Where I think players like Ruth and Ted Williams and just maybe Bryce Harper of the Phillies have their greatest value is putting butts in seats--attendance.
  24. While we're on the topic of Mookie, I'd like to point out that the vaunted Dodgers have stunk in the postseason with him--that is, in 2021, 2022, and 2023. And I simply don't count the 2020 season at all because of covid. The woebegone Sox, on the other hand, made it to the ALCS in 2021 before losing to the Astros, 4 games to 2. I think Mookie is terrific and a sure HOF'er. This year he's even stepped in at SS. Amazing. But guess what? He's just one player on defense and in the lineup--and he doesn't pitch. On the other hand, and I agree this is a big factor, the Dodgers attendance is the best in MLB and has been the best for a very long time. This year they are drawing 47K to the Phillies 40K (which is fantastic for the Phillies), to the Padres 39K, and to the Yankees 39K. And the Sox woebegone 32K.
×
×
  • Create New...