Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. Yet again the opposing manager goes to his bullpen first. Not going to his bullpen cost Cora two wins in Texas. As I've said too many times, all of the Texas runs in 4 games were scored off the sttarters. And tomorrow's an off day so the entire bullpen can rest.
  2. First intelligent comment on this topic. Newcomb now had 3 shutout innings (even though he dug a big 4-0 hole for the Sox). First up in the 5th, the man who K'd with a runner on 3b.
  3. Can't be the Babe, even though I think he's among the top 3 all-time in MLB, because he spent most of his years with the Yankees. But with the Sox he was a terrific pitcher. No one else comes close to Ted Williams, who once said the most difficult skill in all sports is hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely. He didn't mention how fast the ball was moving or with what trajectory. Only Ruth's hitting stats are better, and the Babe never went to war. Teddy Ballgame missed 3 seasons because of WW II and two more (in which he played 43 games total) because of his combat tour in Korea. In 1960 when he turned 42 he played in 113 games with 29 dingers and an OPS of 1.096.
  4. I like a balanced lineup. For example, lefty bat Abreu has 15 total bases and an OPS of 2.300 and righty bat Campbell has 11 TB and an OPS of 1.286. They have played a combined 168 MLB games and are paid minimum MLB wage. The unbalanced part is that everyone else--just 4 games, granted--stinks. But ain't it nice that those seven stinkers include three lefty bats (Devers, Casas, and Duran) and four righty bats (Bregman, Story, Rafaela, and Wong)? The article/analysis at the top is over my head.
  5. I live in the present, game to game, so my view is that he has hurt this team in the first four games. And I really don't care whether it's his shoulder, his truncated spring training, or that big wad he chews at the plate. Do I need add he is paid an enormous salary? I also note, however, that Duran, Bregman, Story, Casas, Wong, and Rafaela are doing their level best to cover for Devers' lousy hitting because they ain't doing much better. After 4 games rookie Campbell and 164 total games Abreu together have 26 total bases and the entire rest of the Sox team has 14.
  6. After the first four games, two stats stand out-- 1. All 12 of the Rangers runs were scored off the starters and some of that falls on Cora who announced he would use his starters as much as possible to save his bullpen. The Rangers manager took the opposite approach. 2. The Sox hitters were 7/41 with RISP. So the hitting stinks--especially by those who are paid the big bucks.
  7. I think Cora is obsessed with the schedule, so much so that he left Buehler in to give up 2 more runs in the 5th and a 4 to 2 lead for Texas. The bullpen is still unscored upon but Cora hates to send them out there because he wants the starters to pitch a minimum of 5 innings and preferably 6 or 7. If Cora pulls Buehler before the 5th, the Sox could have won the game 3-2. Meanwhile Texas is up 2 games to 1 because their manager loves to use his bullpen. I am overstating the case against Cora--of course I am--because the real problem so far is the lousy hitting. Tonight the Sox were 1/12 with RISP.
  8. True. I'm just just not in the habit of listening to pregame stuff.
  9. Good point. I do recall reading about that. I still think he was wrong and was saved by the Sox pathetic hitting, (not including Abreu).
  10. Devers and company get Cora off the hook. Those 2 runs off Houck in the 6th were not needed for the Texas win.
  11. Defense still looks excellent. Except for Abreu, the hitting stinks.
  12. Not much doubt in my mind that Devers wants to get traded. Mistake by Cora and his pitching coach to send Houck out for the 6th.
  13. Are you kidding? It was an NESN box? Foul! Good comments.
  14. Well, I have lived a very virtuous life and therefore had no problems with the mlb.tv broadcast today. Actually, I despise MLB.TV because they rob us blind by farming games out so you have to pay again, to say nothing of their insane blackout rules. I'm lucky I came to this game discussion late because I was very unhappy with the top of the order and would have said so endlessly. Defense definitely looked improved and Abreu had a game he is not likely to forget. Our pricey starter barely made it through 5 innings, but I give him credit for giving up just 2 runs. The bullpen was a revelation. Great start to the season!
  15. Seriously? Those were the exact three seasons when John Henry kept cutting payroll, which actually went back to 2019 when he decided Mookie was unaffordable. I had a great time last year posting how well the teams with low team salaries were winning, but it was the big salary teams who played in the WS. I hate paying Bregman $40M x 3, but apparently that's what it takes even with those talented guys on the farm. Heck, the farm also gave us Duran, Rafaela, Devers, Wong, Abreu, Casas, Bello, et al. I don't see the Yanks finishing below .500, but I like moonslav's point about age. Plus the losses of Cole and Soto have to hurt.
  16. Early on Devers made it quite clear he wanted to play 3b. He changed his tune when he realized his expectations were unrealistic. I personally was OK with Devers at 3b, errors and all, but that makes no sense with Bregman on the team. Devers gets the same salary at DH he was getting at 3b.
  17. Dodgers take the WS, 4 games to 1, beating the Yankees at Yankee Stadium in a 7-6 game that defies description. The Yankees had a big lead, but gave away 5 unearned runs on 3 errors. Plus on one play the Yankees high-priced starter, Cole, simply failed to cover 1b on a grounder to the firstbaseman. In short, the Yankees lost out of sheer unprofessionalism.
  18. Excellent stuff. Thanks. Brooklyn freaking robins???!!!!!
  19. Meh. I would have been fine with trading/dumping Yoshida, but I also don't think keeping him is the end of Red Sox baseball as we know it.
  20. I like the Dodgers because of Branch Rickey, Johnny Podres in the 1955 WS (when the beat the Yankees and Podres won 3 games), and the fact that the Dodgers played in the 19th century and their name comes from "trolley-dodgers," which is pretty cool. Shame on me, but I also think Yankees is a great baseball name. Red Sox--meh. Plus I thought the move to the West Coast, especially when they persuaded the Giants to move at the same time, was the right move, the smart move, and good for MLB. I'm fine with you hating them because we all have our reasons for likes and dislikes. I certainly don't like the Yankees, but on the other hand I do like another Dodgers-Yankees World Series, which to me is traditional and good for baseball. In the John Henry era, which Sox fans are now unwisely inclined to disparage, the Sox have won 4 WS to the Yankees 1 and the Dodgers 1.
  21. TANSTAAFL. There are exactly zero teams out there who will give us what we want and take what we want to unload. The norm, in fact, is what happened with Sale and Giolito. Even DD brought in Price and Sale, both of whom were pretty darn good in 2018, but afterward were very expensive nonperformers. Except for Sale, who was terrific this year--for the Braves, who also received $17M from the Sox to pay his salary. OTOH, I also said that big payrolls are dumb; and Friday the Yankees and Dodgers, whose payrolls are 2d and 5th largest in MLB this year, will be playing in the 2024 World Series. The other three teams in the top 5--Mets, Phillies, and Astros-- also made it to the postseason. Also, the Yankees had the most wins, 94, in the AL and the Dodgers the most in the NL, 98.
  22. I think so. I live what I think is an ordinary life of retirement with plenty to do each day. But I do like to read and write about the Boston Red Sox. From 2000 to 2019 I had a full-time job as an executive director, but still had to have my daily ration--after I discovered blogging, of course.
  23. If so, I apologize--and I mean it. Back to DD. I agree that overall he has been remarkably good for at least four MLB teams--Miami, Detroit, Boston, Detroit, and Philly. Plus he wasn't awful in Montreal. I think he inherited a pretty good Sox team, plus an owner willing to spend even more. I do not think the 2016 and 2017 AL East titles were that big a deal because the Sox only won 93 games and got blown away in the ALDS both seasons. 2018, on the other hand, was special and demonstrated DD's genius, especially going out and getting Eovaldi in July. That was the best Sox season ever, and no other Sox team comes close. 2019 demonstrated that he was not perfect because the Sox had the biggest payroll in MLB, finished out of the playoffs, and needed a ton more money just to stay even with their 2019 subpar performance. The 2019 situation is what convinced JH to hire Chaim Bloom and begin the process of spending less.
×
×
  • Create New...