Jump to content
Talk Sox
  • Create Account

Maxbialystock

Old-Timey Member
  • Posts

    21,348
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

 Content Type 

Profiles

Boston Red Sox Videos

2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking

Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits

Guides & Resources

2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker

News

2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses

Forums

Blogs

Events

Store

Downloads

Gallery

Everything posted by Maxbialystock

  1. I think sellers is the wrong term. The Sox need pitching and will shortly have 5 outfielders: Rafaela, Duran, Abreu, Ref, and Anthony. The first three have the 4th, 5th, and 6th best fWAR's on this team. When Bregman returns, they will also have at least one extra infielder.
  2. True, but that one hit was huge in a low-scoring game. When Abreu returns, the Sox will have 5 outfielders: Duran, Rafaela, Abreu, Anthony, and Ref. Something's got to give.
  3. I think Mayer could well be the better defensive SS, but I like Story's experience and smarts at SS. But it's also a fact that Story was pretty good at 2b in his first season with Boston.
  4. Right. Duran, Toro, and Mayer (2). A week from now I'll do doubt give Toro's dinger by to Anthony.
  5. My bad. I think I gave him credit for Duran's dinger. But I agree he still looks good. 3 dingers by 2 rookies has a nice ring (but a wrong one). Sox looked great all around--dingers, defense, pitching, you name it. Huge CS in the 8th by Narvaez. Huge.
  6. Smart alec that I am, I have to say I never expected the rookies to be this good. Even Campbell with his struggles clearly has potential. That was a hard hit double tonight. Attendance 36K!! Against the Rays. With the Sox having a losing record. The Fenway fans like those rookies.
  7. That splitter by Chapman for the K was nasty. If he can command it, it's all he needs beside that fastball. 1 run win. My, my.
  8. The 7th and 8th innings were terrific examples of how good Cora is. He sent Buehler back out to pitch the 7th, and then he pulled Wilson right before he gave the game away. Defense has been excellent. 3 dingers by Mayer and Anthony are just unreal Between them they have 18 games of MLB experience, including tonight. They account for 3 runs in a 4-3 game, with Story getting the other dinger.
  9. He's had a tough season, but back in the day he wasn't half bad. Tonight I thought 95 mph fastball worked for him. And I'm very impressed with the 7 IP, 97 pitches, 7 K's, and 1 BB.
  10. 6 innings are huge these days, especially on a team that has had to use its bullpen too much. Before the stats guys showed how vulnerable a starter is his 3d time through a lineup, 6 IP was not that big a deal. Now it is. This game must be a disappointment for you with the Sox leading and lousy, rotten, stinking, no good Buehler pitching in the 7th. Me, I'm just the opposite. I see some hope glimmering in what has been a tough season. Now it's 7 IP and 3 runs. Oh, the heartbreak.
  11. I've been badmouthing Sox pitchers' defense, but Buehler has been excellent on plays at 1b.
  12. By a mile. But I also like the way Story puts the tag on. He's lost range, but not his smarts.
  13. Meh. If he gets through the 6th unscathed, it's a quality start.
  14. Last night was one of hope with a great start and what sure looked like one heckuva rookie. And now a dinger by the leftfielder!!! What's his name.
  15. Agree on Story, Narvaez and Toro. Breslow missed 2 months with the same injury 4 years ago, but he sounds like maybe early July this time.
  16. Oh, come off it. He is using the heck out of the bullpen and has used 8 different starters. Houck is a bust after a solid 2024. Crawford is on the IL. Bernardino already has 4 freaking errors in 26.2 IP. Cora ain't the problem. Guys above him are. I think Breslow is pretty good, but it's a fact that he dumped Sale and hired Giolito at the same salary. If he had kept Sale and ignored Giolito, the Sox would have made it to the postseason last year and be in the hunt this season. They might still be in the hunt this year.
  17. I was just reciting what actually happened in the game. I agree Narvaez is the better hitter, OPS .814 vs .516. I can think of 3 reasons to go with Hamilton: 1 is the righty-lefty thing; 2 is that, if Hammond got on base, he was more likely to score than Narvaez; 3 not hitting Narvaez in the 8th saved from expending energy (or getting HBP) when he was subbing for the part-time catcher Wong.
  18. A word or 2 about the defense. I said this elsewhere, but it bears repeating that the worst-defended Sox position by far is pitching. They have 10 freaking errors and a bunch of wild pitches. They are in fact their own worst enemies. I think tonight's outfield of Duran, Rafaela, and Anthony is adequate with Rafaela way above par and the other 2 around par. It does boggle the mind, however, how easily Duran drops liners/flies that are very catchable. Last night's was called a single. I like both Mayer at 3b and Story at SS. Campbell is a liability at 2b, but sometimes he does make good plays. And Toro's primary job at 1b is to get hits when he goes to bat. Narvaez is why above average at catcher. In other words, except for pitcher, 2b, and 1b, I think the defense is at least average. Their fielding percentage is an excellent 98%--1% below the best fielding percentage is MLB--but also irrelevant.
  19. Sox starters are consistently inconsistent. I would have bet good money last night that Gioilito would not make it through 6 innings, That he also gave up no ER is astonishing. Buehler had some good years with the Dodgers through 2022. Then he missed 2023 from injury and had an ER of 5.38 in 16 starts last year with the Dodgers when he also had 3 quality starts. He already has 3 this year, so maybe he's not hopeless.
  20. Same game, Narvaez struck out looking--a righty bat facing a lefty reliever--in his one at bat leading off the 10th. In the 8th Hamilton, a lefty bat facing a righty pitcher, popped out.
  21. Same as last night. Why not? Interestingly, the Sox hit lefties better righties--OPS .790 vs. OPS .736. Trevor Story June OPS is .966 (for just 9 games). May OPS was .432.
×
×
  • Create New...