Maxbialystock
Old-Timey Member-
Posts
21,348 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
6
Content Type
Profiles
Boston Red Sox Videos
2026 Boston Red Sox Top Prospects Ranking
Boston Red Sox Free Agent & Trade Rumors, Notes, & Tidbits
Guides & Resources
2025 Boston Red Sox Draft Pick Tracker
News
2026 Boston Red Sox Draft Tracker: Picks & Bonuses
Forums
Blogs
Events
Store
Downloads
Gallery
Everything posted by Maxbialystock
-
A Realistic View of the 2025 Red Sox: Part II
Maxbialystock replied to moonslav59's topic in Boston Red Sox Talk
Great response!! -
A Realistic View of the 2025 Red Sox: Part II
Maxbialystock replied to moonslav59's topic in Boston Red Sox Talk
Kicking the can on 2025 would be foolish with the pitching looking this good and Bregman and Abreu soon to return. I would love to see an infield of Bregman, Mayer, Story, and Toro and an outfield of Anthony, Rafaela, and Abreu, but I wouldn't mind other options. More to the point, I think Breslow and the FO see it that way. For one thing, the attendance at Fenway seems to be picking up. Carpe diem. -
A Realistic View of the 2025 Red Sox: Part II
Maxbialystock replied to moonslav59's topic in Boston Red Sox Talk
Nicely balanced, and of course I agree. He's been more right than wrong. He was wrong in how he dealt with Raffy, but not wrong to trade him. He should get tons of credit for the pitching as well as Bregman and Narvaez. It's even possible he will be or is supportive of Cora. The team is indeed shaping up nicely and the playoffs no longer "wait til next year." -
A Realistic View of the 2025 Red Sox: Part II
Maxbialystock replied to moonslav59's topic in Boston Red Sox Talk
It's all about the pitching which, Sale notwithstanding, I think Breslow has done a good job with. I think it's entirely possible the Sox can have their cake and eat it too this year. I like Devers a lot and think Breslow screwed him, but I don't at all mind dumping Raffy's salary. The Sox are on a 6 game winning streak and basically did it with no help from Devers. The pitching did it. And, if they stay good, the lineup will be fine. Those 6 games were won without Bregman or Abreu, both of whom will return soon. Rookie Mayer won 1 game with 2 freaking dingers, and rookie Anthony got a crucial 2 run double to win another. Anthony got a dinger last night and then Duran tripled followed by Toro's single up the middle. Toro and Gonzalez are both way better than Casas was when he was hurt. Story and Rafaela's OPS's are both over .800 in June. I could of course be way wrong, but, even if that happens, I've had some had some absolutely fascinating moments for which I am grateful. Among those are Devers' 3d most rbi's in MLB, a bunch of excellent defensive plays, watching Bregman and Crochet deliver on their salaries, Toro hitting way better than expected, Narvaez, the three rookies all in the same game (s). I didn't even mind that Judge tied it in the 9th with a humungous dinger(after 3 K's) against Crochet, who was going for a complete game. The Sox won that too. -
His OPS is .905, not 1.000. And it's been going down steadily since Bregman's injury. I loved having him at DH, even for the whole season, but agree he would have to play 1b to justify the $330M. Needing a great bat to replace Casas was absolute baloney because he was having a bad year before the injury. I think it's fine to have enjoyed Raffy while he was with the Sox and to agree with the trade. Breslow might be a fibber, but I like where this team is going., He screwed up on Sale, but Giolito, like Frankenstein, now seems to be alive. I watched almost all of his pitches last night and thought his heater and breaking stuff were both working. 10 K's ain't hay, especially when 3 of them came with the bases loaded. Now all the Sox need to do is keep hermits and torches away from him.
-
I support Breslow too. I blame him for Devers being po'd, but that was probably going to happen anyway when Bregman took over at 3b. I like Breslow more than Bloom, but some of that is because JH allowed him to go after both Bregman and Crochet. Keeping Raffy as a DH was too expensive. As others have said, the Giants are sure to learn from this and figure out a better way to get Devers to 1b.
-
Too true. But I'm pretty sure Raffy was not told about losing the 3b position until spring training. And I'm pretty sure that Cora sold him on DH, where Raffy wasn't as good as JDM or Big Papi, but he was still awfully good. So my villain is Breslow and maybe Kennedy. But right now I really don't care because I agree with the trade and like where the Sox are. They've won 6 straight without Bregman, without Abreu, and with not much help from Devers. This 6 game winning streak is much needed and fantastic and all because of the pitching. Anyone could have DH'd for Devers and the Sox still win all 6. If the Giants taking over Raffy's salary allows Breslow to get another starter like Crochet, I'm all for it. Time will tell us a lot more, as it always does.
-
I don't think Cora is in any way a guilty party. Bregman was a terrific acquisition, but Breslow lied and told Raffy he would stay at 3b. When that didn't happen, it fell to Cora to persuade Raffy to embrace DH, which he did with great success. Then Casas got hurt and Breslow acted as though the season was over if Raffy didn't immediately step in at 1b, win a gold glove, and keep that OPS comfortably above .900. Anybody could have replaced Casas, who was having a rotten season. Devers did not need to be moved and shouldn't have been because by then he'd been lied to twice. You provide an excellent laydown, however.
-
The front office is just that, a front. Lying comes naturally to them. I don't mind Raffy being traded. As a DH, no matter how good, he is overpriced. Plus the Sox hitting is not the problem with the 2025 Sox. Pitching is. That's why the Sox are 2 games above .500 for the first time this season. Raffy didn't get us there, the pitching did. In fact, since Bregman went on the IL, Raffy's OPS has dropped by 80 points. His bat was not needed to win 6 straight games. I liked Raffy as DH and think Breslow lied to him and screwed him over. But I also like this trade and how this team looks/plays right now. Losing his salary could help Breslow get another starter like Crochet. The commentators keep making a big deal that Devers is the last 2018 Red Soxer to leave the team, but none of them mentions that his WAR that year was 0.0. The top WAR's belonged to Mookie, JDM, Benintendi, Bogaerts, and JBJ. JDM and JBJ are out of MLB. Beni is with the White Sox. Bogey is overpriced and with San Diego, and Mookie is a bonafide star and sure HOF player with the Dodgers, one of the best teams in MLB.
-
Meh. Without Devers the Sox have Bregman (next month), OPS .938, Ref .933, Toro .884, Gonzalez .856, Narvaez .824. Abreu .792, and Duran .740. Story and Rafaela both have OPS's in the .800's in June. I rooted like crazy for Devers and defended his position, but I agree with this move at this time. What kind of fascinates me is how Cora will manage this team because Breslow will want to play those rookies. When Bregman returns, who plays SS and 2b? When Abreu returns, who is the the starting outfield?
-
I thought he had good stuff. He used his fast ball a lot but he also had some nasty breaking balls. 10 K's. And this is his 2d straight excellent start. So, much as I hate to admit it, maybe Breslow wasn't completely screwed up when he signed him. And maybe the pitching coach is working miracles because this is now 6 straight excellent starts by the rotation.
-
I completely agree Breslow was way out of line with Devers. He lied to him about keeping 3b, right up until he announced Bregman would play 3b and not 2b. Cora got Raffy to embrace DH, and he was excellent there and didn't miss a game. Plus all the rbi's. I was one of the few--and I don't recall that you were--rooting for Devers. Of course the Giants are thrilled and don't mind paying extra for a DH. He's exactly what they need. So let's agree that Breslow poisoned the well and made it necessary to trade Devers. On the other hand, Raffy's OPS dropped about 80 points after Bregman went on the IL not quite a month ago (May 24). OTOH, $30M/year is a bundle for a DH, especially when the Sox biggest need is pitching. OTOH, the Sox have hit reasonably well since they lost Bregman and should get better when he returns. Including Bregman and Abreu, both on the IL, the Sox have 5 hitters with OPS's ranging from .938 to .792. Duran's is .740. And this month Rafaela's is .839 and Story's is .826. If the pitching holds up, the Sox won't miss Devers. If the pitching doesn't hold up, Devers, even with an OPS of 1000--which he never had--couldn't save the Sox from a losing season.
-
Emphatically agree. This is 6 straight great starts by the Sox rotation and 2 of them were by Gioloto. Moreover, the Sox lineup scored just enough to win all 6 games. But winning at Seattle and against Gilbert (ERA 2.55) is huge. I think Breslow lied to Devers, but I also think letting him and his salary go was the right move. Last night's score was perfectly in line with the other 5 wins with Raffy, who was 3/18 with a dinger and 1 rbi. He was not missed last night. I do think he and Bregman were a good combo batting 2d and 3d in the lineup, but I like this lineup. The pitching is just unreal. I took a peek at the 2018 Sox schedule and saw they had a very early 8 game win streak in which the Sox pitching gave up 0, 2, 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 7, and 1 runs. After losing to the Yankees, they won another 8 straight giving up 3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 0, 2, and 3 runs. Those two runs, both in April, made the Sox awfully hard to catch and made possible the Sox best season ever. Good pitching sure helps and doesn't necessarily need a good defense, which the 2018 Sox did not have.
-
Whattalotta. The Red Sox tradition in the John Henry era is winning 4 freaking WS's. That's more than any other MLB team in the same period. Plus of course JH ended the 86 year curse. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Of course there have been bad trades. Everyone has them. The Yankees stole Ellsbury from us and paid over $200M for very little performance. The Sox also acquired some stinkers. To me there were/are understandable reasons for letting Mookie, Raffy, and others go. A major factor from 2019 to the present is that JH, no doubt appalled that his highest payroll in MLB 2019 Sox didn't make the postseason and that he would need to spend a lot more money to get back to that level. So he hired Chaim Bloom with instructions to look for bargains, not great talent. Breslow has made mistakes, but I don't think letting Devers go was one of them. I do agree with those who say Breslow created this mess with Devers, but also think letting him go with all of his humungous salary was a good move.
-
I completely agree with the first part of the article and for the last month have said Breslow did not play fair with Devers. Cora did by convincing Raffy to embrace DH, which he did very successfully--see his stats. As I have also said, replacing Casas was not a problem at all because he stunk before his injury. Toro is so much better--and Gonzalez is also better. To me Casas injury was a plus for the Sox. I am more than happy to criticize Breslow and agree he screwed this up. On the other hand, Devers is vastly overpriced as a DH. Plus the Sox biggest need is pitching. As I also pointed out, without Bregman in the lineup Raffy's OPS dropped steadily. He had virtually nothing to do with what is now a 6 game winning streak. That's a tad overstated, but all I'm really trying to say is that losing Devers is not catastrophic. I do not expect Mayer, Anthony, Campbell to blossom this year. And maybe they don't have to because Bregman should be back before the ASG. Plus Toro, Narvaez, and Gonzalez all have OPS's above .800 and Abreu's is .792. Duran's is not so bad with a .740. Story's OPS in June is .826 and Rafaela's is .839. That's 5 pretty good bats and 3 that might be good. At the same time--and contrary to moonslav--I think the Sox have an above average defense. Certainly Narvaez, Bregman, Rafaela, and Abreu are in that category, and I think Story is too. Duran is adequate in LF. That leaves just 1b and 2b as the problems. If DWAR's mean anything, this defense is worlds better than the 2018 Sox defense with Bogey at SS, Raffy at 3b, Beni in LF, Nunez at 2b, and Moreland at 1b. All had negative DWAR's. 2018 was a terrific lineup because they could hit and score lots of runs. The Sox rotation has just produced 6 straight superb starts, including 3 vs the Yankees. When was the last time that happened? Better still, the Sox won all 6 games, including last night in freaking Seattle.
-
Gold star for moonslav. I love all of them because that's the way I feel--and I have defended Devers all season long.
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Agree on Fenway effect, agree on more games played by Sox. But right now the Sox are 5th in runs scored and the 6th team, the Tigers, have also played 73 games. So the Sox are a legit 5th, and that's where they were in 2021 when they made the postseason and then the ALCS. What is wRC+ ? ESPN says the Sox ERA, 3.96, is tied with the Mariners for 17th. They were 15th in ERA in 2021, so maybe, as you say, they are competitive. I like our defense this year more than you do and think only 2b and 1b are problems. RF, CF, 3B and C are all above average. SS is steady with a DWAR of +0.4. LF is 0.0, but Duran is 5th in putouts.
- 827 replies
-
- rafael devers
- jordan hicks
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Sox hit lefties better than righties, and two of our best against righties are/were Devers and Bregman with OPS's .907 and .915. Abreu, also on the IL, has an OPS of .828 against righties. I would DH with Gonzalez and play Campbell at 2b because both are better hitting righties (OPS's .705 and .674) than Hamilton (OPS .514). Maybe this is Cora testing Hamilton to see if he can be kept when Bregman returns. The departure of Devers takes away a very good hitter, but provides Cora some flexibility when Abreu returns this weekend.

